Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 pm

For schools that actually require you to disclose traffic violations (like a speeding ticket), should you include a short paragraph on how you're sorry and how it's changed your driving habits (or something of that nature...) or do you think it's better to just give the facts and let the admission committee make what they will of it?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Just say you learned from it but don't go overboard and say it was a mistake that changed your life and sound insincere.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:15 pm

I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:27 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


this is along the lines of what I was thinking, but then why ask for moving violations at all? It seems like a small minority that ask. Idk -- I don't want to sound insincere, but I also don't want to seem like I'm avoiding responsibility by just stating "was doing x in a x zone -- pled not guilty, charge was reduced, they kept my fine, but no points added to license and no admission of guilt"

more thoughts?

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby artichoke » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


this is along the lines of what I was thinking, but then why ask for moving violations at all? It seems like a small minority that ask. Idk -- I don't want to sound insincere, but I also don't want to seem like I'm avoiding responsibility by just stating "was doing x in a x zone -- pled not guilty, charge was reduced, they kept my fine, but no points added to license and no admission of guilt"

more thoughts?

No addendum necessary for a few minor tickets. The only reason I can think of for them to ask is that a repeated pattern of speeding could show a general disregard for the law. A few tickets will not cause any troubles with the Bar, but a few dozen might.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Sounds good to me. I just basically put in a little table lising the date, charge, and penalty. I think they just want full disclosure. Basically trying to keep people from making their own judgements on what is a minor traffic violation (trying to keep people from withholding DUI, etc. charges). That's my opinion.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm

artichoke wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.


When you say you learned from it say what you learned: that you need to be more careful about watching your speed, making sure you have your seatbelt on, or coming to a complete stop at a stop sign etc.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:37 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.


When you say you learned from it say what you learned: that you need to be more careful about watching your speed, making sure you have your seatbelt on, or coming to a complete stop at a stop sign etc.

And that is what I, and most likely a lot of adcomm's, would call bullshit on. Sorry, but this isn't a DUI or something that you learn a real lesson from. It is a slap on the wrist, and real lessons aren't learned from those.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 pm

artichoke wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.


Everyone regrets getting caught.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:For schools that actually require you to disclose traffic violations (like a speeding ticket), should you include a short paragraph on how you're sorry and how it's changed your driving habits (or something of that nature...) or do you think it's better to just give the facts and let the admission committee make what they will of it?

Perhaps you can write your PS about how these tickets inspired you to become a lawyer.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm

bdubs wrote:
artichoke wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.


Everyone regrets getting caught.

"I got a speeding ticket for going 37 in a 35. I really really learned a lot from the experience. Next time I see a cop when I'm speeding I will hit my brakes harder. From this experience, I learned how to not get caught."

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Here's one more idea, OP. Take out a newspaper add, and apologize to the whole community. If you're going to apologize for speeding, you need to go all the way with it.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:54 pm

is it necessary to include the speed assuming it was not reckless driving or something worse than just a plan ole'
speeding ticket?

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby cartercl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:02 pm

You know you sped home from the courthouse after you paid the ticket...

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Perch wrote:is it necessary to include the speed assuming it was not reckless driving or something worse than just a plan ole'
speeding ticket?

Image

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm

you are going to do it again. dont be sorry. just dont get caught

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Perch wrote:is it necessary to include the speed assuming it was not reckless driving or something worse than just a plan ole'
speeding ticket?

Image


serious question, I just put that I received a ticket for speeding, paid the fine and have not received another traffic citation. I guess I assume it's not a big deal, just need to admit to it.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I just listed the facts. Are you really sorry that you were going 51 mph in a 45 mph? Do you think that Adcomm's will believe you when you say you are sorry? Do Adcomm's like it when they know you are full of shit?


+1

No one feels badly and regrets a speeding ticket/parking ticket etc. If you say you're sorry and you learned from it adcomm's are going to call bullshit.


When you say you learned from it say what you learned: that you need to be more careful about watching your speed, making sure you have your seatbelt on, or coming to a complete stop at a stop sign etc.

And that is what I, and most likely a lot of adcomm's, would call bullshit on. Sorry, but this isn't a DUI or something that you learn a real lesson from. It is a slap on the wrist, and real lessons aren't learned from those.


I doubt most adcomms would legitimately care about a few minor speeding tickets. Most law schools only ask for their disclosure because the C&F regulations of their state (or the states they primarily place into) require it. IE, they do it as a preemptive measure, not wanting their students to have trouble being admitted to the bar down the line.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Perch wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
Perch wrote:is it necessary to include the speed assuming it was not reckless driving or something worse than just a plan ole'
speeding ticket?

Image


serious question, I just put that I received a ticket for speeding, paid the fine and have not received another traffic citation. I guess I assume it's not a big deal, just need to admit to it.

Yeah... I'm not sure where the question in that is... but it sounds good.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Perch wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:
Perch wrote:is it necessary to include the speed assuming it was not reckless driving or something worse than just a plan ole'
speeding ticket?

Image


serious question, I just put that I received a ticket for speeding, paid the fine and have not received another traffic citation. I guess I assume it's not a big deal, just need to admit to it.

Yeah... I'm not sure where the question in that is... but it sounds good.


I was referring to my original question of whether you need to disclose the specific speed...Tommy Lee Jones was staring at me and making me nervous!

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Should you "apologize" for traffic violations?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Perch wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Perch wrote:]

serious question, I just put that I received a ticket for speeding, paid the fine and have not received another traffic citation. I guess I assume it's not a big deal, just need to admit to it.

Yeah... I'm not sure where the question in that is... but it sounds good.


I was referring to my original question of whether you need to disclose the specific speed...Tommy Lee Jones was staring at me and making me nervous!

Gotcha. I didn't disclose speed for mine. I don't know which would be better, but I didn't have that information on hand so I figured just dates, charge, and penalties would be fine.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests