Letters of Recommendation Problem

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
natedavis333

Letters of Recommendation Problem

Postby natedavis333 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm having some big problems getting my letters of recommendation in and would appreciate any advice on what to do next. Here is the situation: I asked my professors around the end of September or early October to write these for me, and all three of them agreed to do so. One letter was received on Oct. 12th, as for the others, they haven't been received by LSAC yet. They notified me they sent them around the middle of October, so I waited two and a half weeks, called LSAC, but still nothing. I asked them to resend it around the first week of November, but with the same results. I talked to them last week about faxing it, and they confirmed sending it around Wednesday.

I know it sounds like the professors are ignoring me, but these same professors have written me recommendation letters in the past for other organizations. If after Thanksgiving the letters still haven't arrived, what should I do next? Also, if one arrives before the other, should I go ahead and send in my application without one of the letters? I appreciate any advice.

McDeere

Re: Letters of Recommendation Problem

Postby McDeere » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 pm

If there's really no huge difference between the two letters, I would submit apps as soon as one of them is on file. It's getting pretty late in the cycle.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 pm

ditto :( i've been waiting for my 2nd letter of rec to get in since 10/20. she mailed it and has faxed it twice since then. i don't really want to ask her again because she seemed a little annoyed last time i asked her to re-fax it...

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:01 pm

My first thought is there could be a problem with your cover letter. Maybe there is an error, maybe the profs lost it, IDK, but I would double check there first. I gave my profs pretty down to the detail instructions. Yes, these are smart people, but everyone makes mistakes and sometimes they just assume they know what they're doing when they dont.

Maybe the address on the envelope is wrong? Print out the label so you know its perfect, although USPS is amazingly good at their jobs.

I doubt they are ignoring you. Most people, including myself, have had at least one issue when you're dealing with three profs, but the vast majority do take writing LORs as a serious part of their job.

Send your apps. Schools that require more than 1 LOR wont complete your file yet, but even at the schools that require more, you're probably best off just getting your apps in and if the letters come later than they come later.

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:09 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:ditto :( i've been waiting for my 2nd letter of rec to get in since 10/20. she mailed it and has faxed it twice since then. i don't really want to ask her again because she seemed a little annoyed last time i asked her to re-fax it...

I've heard a lot of people say this. The fact is, if its not your fault, you have to step up. Always give it some time, don't go overboard, but they fact is its not your fault that something happened. If all else fails, put all the blame on LSAC. Tell the prof that you contacted LSAC (maybe make up some story that they put you on hold for 30 mins) and said there was an error and it had to be re-sent.

Its not like the prof is going to edit your letter to say you're a jerk or something. Yea, she's probably a little bit annoyed that she has to send it a couple times, but thats really not your problem. You're just trying to get into school.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 pm

QuailMan wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:ditto :( i've been waiting for my 2nd letter of rec to get in since 10/20. she mailed it and has faxed it twice since then. i don't really want to ask her again because she seemed a little annoyed last time i asked her to re-fax it...

I've heard a lot of people say this. The fact is, if its not your fault, you have to step up. Always give it some time, don't go overboard, but they fact is its not your fault that something happened. If all else fails, put all the blame on LSAC. Tell the prof that you contacted LSAC (maybe make up some story that they put you on hold for 30 mins) and said there was an error and it had to be re-sent.

Its not like the prof is going to edit your letter to say you're a jerk or something. Yea, she's probably a little bit annoyed that she has to send it a couple times, but thats really not your problem. You're just trying to get into school.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go to her office hours tomorrow and try again.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:49 pm

this begs the question (not an appropriate use of the term, i know): why is LSAC so worthless?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:22 pm

I really fucking hate LSAC. It's been two weeks since my professor mailed his LOR and I haven't seen or heard anything about it from LSAC. I submitted my applications expecting that the LOR would be processed before I went under review, but I'm still waiting. I'm going to be really pissed off if LSAC's slow processing results in post-Thanksgiving apps, or mine going under review without all the necessary LORs.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:36 pm

LSAC is such a freakin dinosaur. They should take a cue from graduate school admissions and allow recommenders to upload letters electronically. It eliminates the delay in processing and makes life much easier for everybody.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I applied pretty much in the first week of november with all my LOR's. However, they haven't received the LOR's yet. I was just told by one of my profs today that the mail came back with inadequate postage. Do you think I should have the profs now fax them the LORs, or should they do mail, or should they do both? And how much do u think my admissions chances have been negatively affected?

natedavis333

Postby natedavis333 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Update - Finally received one of the letters in today (though they did not notify me). I think they finally received the faxed copy, or grew tired of me calling and complaining. Maybe this will give some of those people that are still waiting some hope.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:55 pm

I had them faxed and sent by regular mail. Something worked because they were posted 5 days later. Best of luck!

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm

natedavis333 wrote:Update - Finally received one of the letters in today (though they did not notify me). I think they finally received the faxed copy, or grew tired of me calling and complaining. Maybe this will give some of those people that are still waiting some hope.

+ 1 :)

krad

Postby krad » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I really fucking hate LSAC. It's been two weeks since my professor mailed his LOR and I haven't seen or heard anything about it from LSAC. I submitted my applications expecting that the LOR would be processed before I went under review, but I'm still waiting. I'm going to be really pissed off if LSAC's slow processing results in post-Thanksgiving apps, or mine going under review without all the necessary LORs.

In the exact same position... I'm over it!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”