Taking the LSAT after working on a political campaign Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthesoleil

New

Taking the LSAT after working on a political campaign

Post by inthesoleil » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 am

Hi everyone!

I would like to know what you all think about my situation.

In the summer, I was studying to take the LSAT in October so that I could apply for the Fall 2011 cycle. In late July, I received a phone call asking me if I would like to work on a high profile political campaign. Without a doubt in my mind, I accepted the job offer. From August until Election Day, I worked seven days a week, ten to twelve hours a day. I did not have any time to study for the LSAT because all we did was work, work, work. For example, on Election Day, I was working from 4AM to 1AM. I also had to relocate for the job. I gave up my apartment and I moved four hours away from the city I was residing in to a very rural area. I did not see my family or my friends from back home for a little over three months. Thankfully, with all of that hard work we put in, our Democrat was victorious and is one of the very few Democratic incumbents from my state returning to DC.

During the campaign, I told myself that I still wanted to go to Law School in Fall 2011, so I signed up to take the test in December because I felt that taking it in February would be too late in the cycle. The campaign is over. I'm living with my parents in the country until I can get a job in the city again. I am sending in resumes now and I hope to be hired by January. Yesterday, my stepdad accidentally ran over my dog and she passed away. Tomorrow my mom wants to drive six hours away to get a new dog (I know it sounds crazy but it's the only way she can cope) and she needs me to go with her. Also, I have a 3 year old brother and a 2 year old brother and studying at home is near impossible. When I was living on my own, I was able to just focus on studying.

The test is two weeks away. I don't feel prepared for the exam at all. I feel that I would be able to score better on it if I had more time to study and if my life wasn't this hectic. I don't know whether I should cram for the next two weeks so that I could send my applications out in January or cancel and take it in February, where I would have more time to study, even though I will be sending my applications out late in the cycle. When I first started studying in the summer, I received a 147 on a cold diagnostic. I would like to get a 161 at the very least.

The campaign showed me that nothing is impossible. I just don't know if the same applies to taking the LSAT right now at this point in my life.

What would you do?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Taking the LSAT after working on a political campaign

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:18 am

The LSAT is the single most important piece of your application. Don't take it unprepared or half prepared.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:22 am

whymeohgodno wrote:The LSAT is the single most important piece of your application. Don't take it unprepared or half prepared.
This. So very this.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 am

Sounds like you should take a year off and really prepare for the February / June / October exam(s).

ams

New

Post by ams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:31 pm

If you basically haven't studied since you took your diagnostic, I agree that you should wait to apply in 2012. If for some reason, you have a strong need to complete law school ASAP, you could try to apply to start in winter or summer 2012. A few schools offer this option, and a few schools have programs where you can finish in 2 1/2 years. It might be hard for you to delay a year, but if you take your time and give yourself a good 3 months to study, you might find that you can do even better than you expected. If you get scholarships and application fee waivers, the year you waited could be well worth it. Try to find a job that will allow you time to study for the LSAT and then just apply next cycle.

Also, congrats on the campaign. Sometimes you have to go with an opportunity even if you have to change your other plans a bit. Sounds like this was a great opportunity for you, and it might also be a possible PS topic!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 pm

June 2011 --> Fall 2012

Both are your friends.
Test is 3 weeks away btw, not 2.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:38 pm

take it in June and apply next fall. If you want, get your ps and LORS done ( as well as some supplimental essays for your top schools), so that you dont have to worry about them later. Get all of your materials ready now, and begin!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”