SMU Personal Statement Prompt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

SMU Personal Statement Prompt

Postby irenic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:14 pm

My personal statement does not touch on law school at all. I'm wondering if I need to start from scratch to produce a statement for SMU specifically talking about law school motivations. Here's the prompt:

"A personal statement containing any information that is especially relevant to your decision to study law, which may include factors such as what motivates you to study law, what you seek to accomplish with your law degree, and how your past experiences may help you to accomplish your goals."

Can I get away with sticking with a more "personal" statement about my prior experiences even though the prompt is predominately talking about reasons for going to law school? FWIW, I think the personal statement I've got done will be better than anything I produce specifically regarding law school. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Re: SMU Personal Statement Prompt

Postby MysticalWheel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:31 am

Even if you do not explicitly regard the prompt, almost any personal statement that includes some history of the applicant's life can be construed as a/the central factor in said applicant's development that directed said applicant towards a legal education, or as an explanatory note for why said applicant would make a good attorney. But how hard is it to work in an extra sentence or two that explains how some event pushed you towards the law or how it demonstrates that you would be a good lawyer? I'm betting that you could tweak your general PS very slightly, just for peace of mind, to address one of the points referenced in SMU's prompt. That would probably be somewhat better than just throwing in your stock PS, unless you believe it already clearly implies an answer to said prompt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”