Facebook?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:04 pm

arism87 wrote:
Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.


I'd be more concerned about my friends' photos and comments on my wall. Some of them are quite political and that may give people the wrong impression.

I agree with you that you have to watch what impression you made, I just don't think normal pass time - drinking - is a concern.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.


I'd be more concerned about my friends' photos and comments on my wall. Some of them are quite political and that may give people the wrong impression.

I agree with you that you have to watch what impression you made, I just don't think normal pass time - drinking - is a concern.


I think it is. Of course future employers know you drink and have a good time and go on the social scene...but no one told you to upload the pictures and make them 'public.' That is what the problem is.

1) people ALWAYS make judgments about other people...even if they are unwarranted; thats just human nature and it isnt going to stop any time soon

2) a company knows you will be representing them...and how you put yourself forward and the image you create is what matters; they probably dont really care if you go drinking EVERY NIGHT...but as far as reputation goes, they certainly dont want you putting up pictures of it (aside from you also completing the work in an adequate manner lol)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:40 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.


I'd be more concerned about my friends' photos and comments on my wall. Some of them are quite political and that may give people the wrong impression.

I agree with you that you have to watch what impression you made, I just don't think normal pass time - drinking - is a concern.


I think it is. Of course future employers know you drink and have a good time and go on the social scene...but no one told you to upload the pictures and make them 'public.' That is what the problem is.

1) people ALWAYS make judgments about other people...even if they are unwarranted; thats just human nature and it isnt going to stop any time soon

2) a company knows you will be representing them...and how you put yourself forward and the image you create is what matters; they probably dont really care if you go drinking EVERY NIGHT...but as far as reputation goes, they certainly dont want you putting up pictures of it (aside from you also completing the work in an adequate manner lol)


+1. If you have compromising pictures on facebook, play it safe and delete them or keep them private.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:41 pm

beachbum wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.


I'd be more concerned about my friends' photos and comments on my wall. Some of them are quite political and that may give people the wrong impression.

I agree with you that you have to watch what impression you made, I just don't think normal pass time - drinking - is a concern.


I think it is. Of course future employers know you drink and have a good time and go on the social scene...but no one told you to upload the pictures and make them 'public.' That is what the problem is.

1) people ALWAYS make judgments about other people...even if they are unwarranted; thats just human nature and it isnt going to stop any time soon

2) a company knows you will be representing them...and how you put yourself forward and the image you create is what matters; they probably dont really care if you go drinking EVERY NIGHT...but as far as reputation goes, they certainly dont want you putting up pictures of it (aside from you also completing the work in an adequate manner lol)


+1. If you have compromising pictures on facebook, play it safe and delete them or keep them private.


I totally agree, and to clarify my pictures are private- my original question was is that safe enough? Seems most people vote yes?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm

arism87 wrote:I totally agree, and to clarify my pictures are private- my original question was is that safe enough? Seems most people vote yes?


It's probably safe enough. Just use a lot of discretion in friending people.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:03 pm

arism87 wrote:I totally agree, and to clarify my pictures are private- my original question was is that safe enough? Seems most people vote yes?

I would add a caveat to this. Make sure people aren't/haven't/don't tag you in photos that aren't yours and that don't portray you in a flattering way.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 pm

Renzo wrote:
arism87 wrote:I totally agree, and to clarify my pictures are private- my original question was is that safe enough? Seems most people vote yes?

I would add a caveat to this. Make sure people aren't/haven't/don't tag you in photos that aren't yours and that don't portray you in a flattering way.

If pics are private, this doesn't matter. People obsess about facebook way too much.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Even with the most strict, "only friends" across the board, people will be able to see your current profile pic, your likes and your friends if they click "your name" on facebook. If they search they can also find your groups on facebook, including comments I believe.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby MissLucky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 pm

lol, i am a deactivating fanatic. usually off FB for at least half the year every year. does the mind good to get away from all that stimuli and you don't have to worry about any of this crap. (not that i think adcomms would go out of their way to stalk)

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Renzo wrote:
arism87 wrote:I totally agree, and to clarify my pictures are private- my original question was is that safe enough? Seems most people vote yes?

I would add a caveat to this. Make sure people aren't/haven't/don't tag you in photos that aren't yours and that don't portray you in a flattering way.

If pics are private, this doesn't matter. People obsess about facebook way too much.


I don't think it's way too much. These days, it would be all but negligent if every job applicant didn't get googled at some point in the hiring process, so everyone should know what's going to show up when that happens. I don't think this will happen with law school admissions (too many applicants), but it's a good habit to have.

User avatar
EliLanning
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby EliLanning » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 pm

If they search by your email, then your profile will come right up. Probably not a big deal if your profile is private, but if you have pictures of yourself doing a kegstand or something else inappropriate, this would obviously count against you. It takes two seconds to complete such a search, so the "they don't have time" argument is subject to criticism.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby clintonius » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Even with the most strict, "only friends" across the board, people will be able to see your current profile pic, your likes and your friends if they click "your name" on facebook. If they search they can also find your groups on facebook, including comments I believe.
Unless they changed their settings (again) without telling anybody (again), you can set your profile so that only friends of friends can even search your name on FB. They can't see that your profile exists. It's a good way to go if you want to be very cautious about your online image.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:48 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.


I'd be more concerned about my friends' photos and comments on my wall. Some of them are quite political and that may give people the wrong impression.

I agree with you that you have to watch what impression you made, I just don't think normal pass time - drinking - is a concern.


I think it is. Of course future employers know you drink and have a good time and go on the social scene...but no one told you to upload the pictures and make them 'public.' That is what the problem is.

1) people ALWAYS make judgments about other people...even if they are unwarranted; thats just human nature and it isnt going to stop any time soon

2) a company knows you will be representing them...and how you put yourself forward and the image you create is what matters; they probably dont really care if you go drinking EVERY NIGHT...but as far as reputation goes, they certainly dont want you putting up pictures of it (aside from you also completing the work in an adequate manner lol)


Really? I have worked for 15 + years and I have never worked at, been to, or heard of a company (for profit or non profit) which had a problem with social events and publicizing them. I just posted 3 albums of social events (with drinking) on my school's page. I go to a lot of corporate events at places of business and I never heard of anyone say "don't post pictures of this event".

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:55 am

Spend the next 3 months detagging yourself from every random photo from your last 4+ years, it's the only sane and rational thing to do.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I'd agree with you if it is any other school. But wanting to be chosen as the top 200 out of 60,000 means error free. Think of sports. It's ok to make mistakes, you just lose a lot.


I'd agree if they were trying to find the 200 best typists and proofreaders in America.


We are talking about lawyers, no?

I ain't paying/signing if my contract came back from with a typo.

From what I've been told by former biglawyers, 1st & 2nd year associates are essentially glorified cite checkers/proof readers at a lot of firms.

As a legal assistant of 7+ years, most lawyers can't spell to save their lives. Don't even get me started on their handwriting..

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:As a legal assistant of 7+ years, most lawyers can't spell to save their lives. Don't even get me started on their handwriting..


I don't know about the spelling part, it's hard to earn good GPA and get into good schools if they are that bad. Handwriting ... they actually stopped teaching that in public schools, so be prepared...

User avatar
bostonian
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

bdubs wrote:Spend the next 3 months detagging yourself from every random photo from your last 4+ years, it's the only sane and rational thing to do.


This...or at least any questionable ones.
That reminds me, I need to go check my account and do some more detagging.

User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby hellojd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I've limited photos to friends only and exercise discretion in terms of who I friend. Beyond that though, if someone is hacking into my account and dings me for drinking and an occasional cigar, i don't think i would want to work / attend the same school as him anyways.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 pm

clintonius wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:Even with the most strict, "only friends" across the board, people will be able to see your current profile pic, your likes and your friends if they click "your name" on facebook. If they search they can also find your groups on facebook, including comments I believe.
Unless they changed their settings (again) without telling anybody (again), you can set your profile so that only friends of friends can even search your name on FB. They can't see that your profile exists. It's a good way to go if you want to be very cautious about your online image.


Search for your name. You will find yourself.

If I'm wrong, you know a secret outside of "account/privacy settings/custom/everything-to-friends-only" and must now share.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Thank you for reminding me of why I don't leave the lounge. *tips hat*

User avatar
bostonian
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

hellojd wrote:I've limited photos to friends only and exercise discretion in terms of who I friend. Beyond that though, if someone is hacking into my account and dings me for drinking and an occasional cigar, i don't think i would want to work / attend the same school as him anyways.


By "questionable" I meant passed out on the floor/streaking/throwing up/etc. I'm not worrying about ones that just show drinking.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:29 pm

bostonian wrote:
hellojd wrote:I've limited photos to friends only and exercise discretion in terms of who I friend. Beyond that though, if someone is hacking into my account and dings me for drinking and an occasional cigar, i don't think i would want to work / attend the same school as him anyways.


By "questionable" I meant passed out on the floor/streaking/throwing up/etc. I'm not worrying about ones that just show drinking.


That's what I was trying to get across.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby arism87 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
clintonius wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:Even with the most strict, "only friends" across the board, people will be able to see your current profile pic, your likes and your friends if they click "your name" on facebook. If they search they can also find your groups on facebook, including comments I believe.
Unless they changed their settings (again) without telling anybody (again), you can set your profile so that only friends of friends can even search your name on FB. They can't see that your profile exists. It's a good way to go if you want to be very cautious about your online image.


Search for your name. You will find yourself.

If I'm wrong, you know a secret outside of "account/privacy settings/custom/everything-to-friends-only" and must now share.


Nah, he/she is right. You can hide yourself from searches. (I just searched for myself to be sure.)

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Facebook?

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:04 pm

arism87 wrote:Nah, he/she is right. You can hide yourself from searches. (I just searched for myself to be sure.)

Aaaah, under "connecting".
I never looked outside of "sharing on facebook" with the visible options Image

Thanks. Yay knowledge!

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Facebook?

Postby clintonius » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Yeah, I was beaten to the punch, but you found it. It's a pretty handy tool. That said, I'm sure it's not perfect -- I believe some government agencies are granted special access (I think I recall hearing that, at least), and if you happen to know somebody at a job you've applied for, a screener may be able to get access to your profile somehow. But it definitely offers a lot more comfort than just hoping you've untagged all unseemly photos and opted out of membership to any questionable groups.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests