Facebook?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arism87

Facebook?

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:05 pm

I always hear the warnings about hiding your facebook pictures/wall/etc. I know I should do it.

My question is: if I have it set so that only my friends can see that stuff anyway, how could any admissions people see it? (Barring pretty sketchy activity on their part) Is it really an issue?

northwood

Re: Facebook?

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:07 pm

thanks for the reminder to de activate my account

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Just make sure if someone searches your name they don't see a picture of you beer bonging with your bros. So keep your profile pic either hidden from strangers, or keep it classy.

That said I really doubt most adcoms have the time to sit there and facebook stalk their applicants.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:11 pm

If it's "friends only," then only those logged into your friends' accounts can see the materials in question. However, some 3rd party applications don't follow these restrictions, and hackers/crackers, as well as members of the facebook staff, may also be able to access them. Just don't put any compromising crap on there.

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:11 pm

arism87 wrote:I always hear the warnings about hiding your facebook pictures/wall/etc. I know I should do it.

My question is: if I have it set so that only my friends can see that stuff anyway, how could any admissions people see it? (Barring pretty sketchy activity on their part) Is it really an issue?

Check your privacy settings, and make sure that nothing is public. Beyond that, I doubt any admissions committee has time to be hacking your facebook.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm

If admissions people actually search your Facebook acct, (which seems ridiculous) then they should include what they found in their rejection/waitlist letters.

Dear XXX,

I regret to inform you that XXX Law School cannot offer you admission to the class of 2014. While your application was very convincing, we cannot admit someone who posts photos of themselves running naked through the student center.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Brb deactivating.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Brb deactivating.

Why not just delete the whole thing? Better peace of mind, if you ask me.

MW

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15 pm

why delete it? just de activate it for a few months, and you will be all set.

then once you get in, you can join the XXXX law school class of 2014 group.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:18 pm

zephyr36 wrote:
arism87 wrote:I always hear the warnings about hiding your facebook pictures/wall/etc. I know I should do it.

Check your privacy settings, and make sure that nothing is public. Beyond that, I doubt any admissions committee has time to be hacking your facebook.

Yale might. Dean Asha cyber stalked me back to USS BP.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Why would you have stuff on your facebook that you don't want important people to see? If it has the potential to damage/embarrass, don't put it up in the first place. Once you put something up, there is always the chance that it gets saved somewhere else and become forever out of your control. So don't put anything on the Internet that you can't live with for the rest of your live. Even to "friends" on Facebook.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:

Good times. We talked about it again this year. She thinks you and most of us should do something better with our times.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:

Good times. We talked about it again this year. She thinks you and most of us should do something better with our times.

She is 100% correct.

Though I wasn't just trolling. Having a typo being the make it or break it of your application is bullshit.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:Why would you have stuff on your facebook that you don't want important people to see? If it has the potential to damage/embarrass, don't put it up in the first place. Once you put something up, there is always the chance that it gets saved somewhere else and become forever out of your control. So don't put anything on the Internet that you can't live with for the rest of your live. Even to "friends" on Facebook.

There's nothing I find damaging or embarrassing, but I wouldn't want a stranger to get his first impression of me via 500 pictures of me at various events/bars.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
She is 100% correct.

Though I wasn't just trolling. Having a typo being the make it or break it of your application is bullshit.

I'd agree with you if it is any other school. But wanting to be chosen as the top 200 out of 60,000 means error free. Think of sports. It's ok to make mistakes, you just lose a lot.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
She is 100% correct.

I'd agree with you if it is any other school. But wanting to be chosen as the top 200 out of 60,000 means error free. Think of sports. It's ok to make mistakes, you just lose a lot.

I'd agree if they were trying to find the 200 best typists and proofreaders in America.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:37 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Why would you have stuff on your facebook that you don't want important people to see? If it has the potential to damage/embarrass, don't put it up in the first place. Once you put something up, there is always the chance that it gets saved somewhere else and become forever out of your control. So don't put anything on the Internet that you can't live with for the rest of your live. Even to "friends" on Facebook.

There's nothing I find damaging or embarrassing, but I wouldn't want a stranger to get his first impression of me via 500 pictures of me at various events/bars.

There are 500 strangers at ever bar/event you have ever been to making the same impression.

Also, if it is not acceptable to enjoy spirits and a good time, then don't go to bars. Many of the most important decisions in this world are made over dinners and cocktails, as long as you are not ass drunk I doubt anyone would make the wrong impressions. We are adults, remember?

Are you in UG? Every event in grad school I have been to involves free alcohol, and people take advantage of that. They served alcohol at the admissions information session at my school. So if it's bar/events you are worried about, you are worrying about nothing.

Edited for wrong word
Last edited by r6_philly on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:37 pm

I took precautionary measures and deleted my craziest pictures and put my facebook under the strictest privacy settings. You never know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I'd agree with you if it is any other school. But wanting to be chosen as the top 200 out of 60,000 means error free. Think of sports. It's ok to make mistakes, you just lose a lot.

I'd agree if they were trying to find the 200 best typists and proofreaders in America.

We are talking about lawyers, no?

I ain't paying/signing if my contract came back from with a typo.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I'd agree with you if it is any other school. But wanting to be chosen as the top 200 out of 60,000 means error free. Think of sports. It's ok to make mistakes, you just lose a lot.

We are talking about lawyers, no?

I ain't paying/signing if my contract came back from with a typo.

From what I've been told by former biglawyers, 1st & 2nd year associates are essentially glorified cite checkers/proof readers at a lot of firms.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:

There are 500 strangers at ever bar/event you have ever been to making the same impression.

Also, if it is not acceptable to enjoy spirits and a good time, then don't go to bars. Many of the most important decisions in this world are made over dinners and cocktails, as long as you are not ass drunk I doubt anyone would make the wrong impressions. We are adults, remember?

Are you in UG? Every event in grad school I have been to involves free alcohol, and people take advantage of that. They served alcohol at the admissions information session at my school. So if it's bar/events you are worried about, you are worrying about nothing.

Edited for wrong word

I think you misinterpreted what her concerns were

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

You are perhaps right. I don't think I correctly interpret anyone's facebook/internet concerns when it comes to law school admissions :oops:

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:51 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Edited for wrong word

Yeaaah. I clearly have no problem being seen with alcohol. But if someone who has never met me happened across my facebook page, it wouldn't portray me as a very balanced person. Just not what I prefer.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:57 pm

arism87 wrote:
Yeaaah. I clearly have no problem being seen with alcohol. But if someone who has never met me happened across my facebook page, it wouldn't portray me as a very balanced person. Just not what I prefer.

I think if someone would make a concrete impression of you based on event photos ... well you would probably not like that person anyway. I still don't get the unbalanced person bit. No one put up a gallery of their days at work. Socializing and networking is what's left. I simply can't imagine why anyone would view you in a negative way. (unless the photos were bad of course)

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:

I think if someone would make a concrete impression of you based on event photos ... well you would probably not like that person anyway. I still don't get the unbalanced person bit. No one put up a gallery of their days at work. Socializing and networking is what's left. I simply can't imagine why anyone would view you in a negative way. (unless the photos were bad of course)

Lol yeah rationally I know this to be true, but ya never know. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue, I'm leaving them up, just wanted some opinions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”