Critique my arrest addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Saltqjibo

Critique my arrest addendum

Postby Saltqjibo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Here it is, is this adequate/ no typos/ not stupid?

------------

To Whom It May Concern,

In March of 2002 I was present on xxxxx District School Board property after hours and was arrested and charged with “breaking and entering with intent” and “possession of burglary tools” (flashlight, winter gloves). Though these charges were serious, no damage was incurred by the school building or property. The incident was the culmination of a regrettable decision to play flashlight tag on school property after hours. I now understand the severity and consequences of that decision. The charges were subject to diversionary measure through the Alternative Measures Act and expunged from my record after two years. At the time of the charges I was a minor and a first time offender and have not since been arrested or charged again -- nor have I been subject to any other disciplinary action, legally or academically. This experience was a valuable lesson that occurred at a pivotal point in my life and education. It caused me to reevaluate my priorities and refocus academically.

Because this incident occurred while I was a minor, documentation has been to difficult to obtain. It is currently requested under the freedom of information policy of the xxxx Police Department. Precise dates and language of the charges can be made available upon request after December 19th.

Sincerely,

xxxx

clone22

Re: Critique my arrest addendum

Postby clone22 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:19 pm

If it's expunged, should you really be disclosing it? And if you really were just playing flashlight tag on school grounds and the cops overreacted, what could you have possibly learned from this incident? That people in positions of authority are stupid? Your apology seems to say that you were actually guilty of doing something wrong, while your explanation seems to indicate that it was a misunderstanding/overreaction on the part of the authorities. Plus, since it's expunged, aren't the records sealed and law schools say you don't have to include such an attachment?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Pretty sure you have to include everything. And what I learned was that if I didn't want to spend nights in holding cells and days in courts I should stick to my studies and not spend my time running around school buildings at 3 in the morning.

Should I not be disclosing this?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Other than some awkward phrases, it is fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”