Should I wait, or submit?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ineptimusprime

Should I wait, or submit?

Postby ineptimusprime » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm debating whether I should submit my applications now, or wait til the end of this semester for my latest grades.

I'm fairly sure if I wait, my GPA will jump from the 3.4 to the 3.5 range. Is this good enough justification for waiting? Am I more likely to get scholarships if I submit now, or if I wait it out for an improved GPA? Will the scholarships be gone if I wait?

Also, what about my reach schools.. is it better to submit early, or in mid-January with an overall stronger application?

I'm sure this likely depends on the policies of each individual school, but is there a general rule to follow with questions like these?

Deuce

Re: Should I wait, or submit?

Postby Deuce » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I'd say submit now. You'll probably get your end of semester grades before you get any decision, and if your GPA jumps you can update your transcript for law schools.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Submit, the difference between a 3.4 and a 3.5 might not be as significant as you think unless it means you hit their median.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: updating a transcript..

Once your report is sent from LSAC to the law school, isn't it too late to update any grade improvements?

Won't they have to report the GPA that you had at the time of submission, so won't that be the GPA they use to evaluate you for admission? Please clear this up for me if I'm wrong.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:15 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Re: updating a transcript..

Once your report is sent from LSAC to the law school, isn't it too late to update any grade improvements?

Won't they have to report the GPA that you had at the time of submission, so won't that be the GPA they use to evaluate you for admission? Please clear this up for me if I'm wrong.

No it won't be too late. If you submit right now they most likely will not make a decision on your application until after your fall grades come out. If you update your transcripts LSAC will forward a new report to the schools with your new GPA and the schools will take that number into consideration. They will report the new higher GPA. They are not bound to report the GPA at submission, just the GPA that they admit you with.

ineptimusprime

Got it, thanks.

Postby ineptimusprime » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:19 pm

I'll submit then.

Thanks for the help everyone.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Your handle kicks ass BTW. I'll have to steal that for use somewhere. ^.^

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”