Resume Error.. Correct?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goblue8787

Resume Error.. Correct?

Postby goblue8787 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:47 pm

So I've sent out the majority of my applications and I'm worried about an error on my resume. While I was unemployed I would volunteer every morning at a local shelter, and I included this on my resume. Recently I got a job and am no longer volunteering in the mornings there, but plan to try and still make it on the weekends. However, I included the job on my resume but forgot to correct the portion under volunteer work that states I still volunteer there every morning. Should I contact all of the schools and let them know? Send an updated version? Thanks for any advice.

Pleasye

Re: Resume Error.. Correct?

Postby Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Just send an updated version with your new job on it and change the volunteer part. Why did you put when you volunteer there on your resume anyway? Doesn't it just say "April-Present" or something like that?

goblue8787

Postby goblue8787 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I think thats what I'll do. I just wasn't sure if I would have to explain in detail why I want to, or if I would be looked down upon for doing so. Thanks for the advice.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 pm

goblue8787 wrote:I think thats what I'll do. I just wasn't sure if I would have to explain in detail why I want to, or if I would be looked down upon for doing so. Thanks for the advice.

No it won't be looked down upon because it makes sense to send an updated resume when you get a new job. Its good to keep schools updated on what you're currently doing so it shouldn't be viewed negatively at all.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't think you're getting what OP is saying. OP lied in an application that he/she already submitted.

OP: the best you can do is submit an updated one, explain the error, and hope adcoms don't think that you (1) tried to overstate your volunteer efforts; (2) read TLS or otherwise found out how not-smart a thing that is to do; and (3) are now trying to fix it be labeling it an innocent mistake.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:24 pm

MrKappus wrote:I don't think you're getting what OP is saying. OP lied in an application that he/she already submitted.

OP: the best you can do is submit an updated one, explain the error, and hope adcoms don't think that you (1) tried to overstate your volunteer efforts; (2) read TLS or otherwise found out how not-smart a thing that is to do; and (3) are now trying to fix it be labeling it an innocent mistake.

ignore this anal post^

you can just email them a new one and tell them it's updated.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 pm

send them the updated resume, but holdoff until you figure out if you will still be volunteering or not. Id try to figure out a way to continue volunteering while you are working, so it doesnt look as though you only did community service when you had nothing else to do ( and your motive for doing it was just purely to put it on your resume), and now that you have a job the first thing you stop doing is community service work.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm

northwood wrote:send them the updated resume, but holdoff until you figure out if you will still be volunteering or not. Id try to figure out a way to continue volunteering while you are working, so it doesnt look as though you only did community service when you had nothing else to do ( and your motive for doing it was just purely to put it on your resume), and now that you have a job the first thing you stop doing is community service work.

they don't read that much into it... and i think everyone understands that having a job cuts into your time

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:10 pm

capitalacq wrote:
MrKappus wrote:I don't think you're getting what OP is saying. OP lied in an application that he/she already submitted.

ignore this anal post^

I know you're just a 0L, but if you actually intend to become a lawyer, you might want to take the word "anal" out of your lexicon. The entire profession is built on attention to detail, and there are people sitting in prison for signing stuff that wasn't true. OP screwed up. It's not the worst thing, and it probably won't affect his/her app... but sugarcoating it helps no one.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 pm

MrKappus wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

ignore this anal post^

I know you're just a 0L, but if you actually intend to become a lawyer, you might want to take the word "anal" out of your lexicon. The entire profession is built on attention to detail, and there are people sitting in prison for signing stuff that wasn't true. OP screwed up. It's not the worst thing, and it probably won't affect his/her app... but sugarcoating it helps no one.

I know you're a pretentious dick, but might want to try helping someone without being an ass

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 am

capitalacq wrote:I know you're a pretentious dick, but might want to try helping someone without being an ass

Man, you're right. I really need to try a new approach. Not just in this thread, but in my entire life. Thanks so much, and please let me know if I can ever help you half as much you helped me.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:49 am

capitalacq wrote:I know you're a pretentious dick, but might want to try helping someone without being an ass

This.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”