Too late to apply to YHS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
artichoke

Too late to apply to YHS?

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:39 am

I initially didn't apply to YHS due to my relatively low stats for these schools (172, 3.64). However, after poring over LSN and being accepted to a couple of schools I didn't anticipate getting in to, I am sort of wishing I had applied to Stanford at least, if not all three. Would it be pointless to spend the money applying at this point with my numbers? I don't want to waste the money if I don't have a chance in hell, but I know I'll always wonder if I could have gotten in.... thoughts?

im_blue

Re: Too late to apply to YHS?

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:42 am

Not sure what schools you didn't anticipate getting into, because with your numbers you should have a good chance at every school outside HYS, C, and B.

If you had to apply to one of HYS, it should be S but realize that your chances are extremely slim.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:44 am

im_blue wrote:Not sure what schools you didn't anticipate getting into, because with your numbers you should have a good chance at every school outside HYS, C, and B.

Well, it was a little hard for me to believe I could get in to UMich and GULC, even though my numbers indicate a good chance.... I guess that is what I mean by that statement.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:46 am

artichoke wrote:
im_blue wrote:Not sure what schools you didn't anticipate getting into, because with your numbers you should have a good chance at every school outside HYS, C, and B.

Well, it was a little hard for me to believe I could get in to UMich and GULC, even though my numbers indicate a good chance.... I guess that is what I mean by that statement.

Michigan and GULC would have been likely even with 1-2 fewer LSAT points.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:47 am

artichoke wrote:I initially didn't apply to YHS due to my relatively low stats for these schools (172, 3.64). However, after poring over LSN and being accepted to a couple of schools I didn't anticipate getting in to, I am sort of wishing I had applied to Stanford at least, if not all three. Would it be pointless to spend the money applying at this point with my numbers? I don't want to waste the money if I don't have a chance in hell, but I know I'll always wonder if I could have gotten in.... thoughts?

Y - no not too late (doesn't do rolling admissions), but your chances are soooooo small (look at last year's full GPA range on their site, it includes URM and whatever other crazy qualified applicants you can imagine)

It's hard to tell for H and S, since so few people get in with your stats. I have similar stats and applied to S but not H.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:48 am

mm while it is not too late to apply to HYS, w/ just those numbers, i wouldnt really bother applying to them. have something else on your resume that may be game changing?

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:49 am

bdubs wrote:
artichoke wrote:I initially didn't apply to YHS due to my relatively low stats for these schools (172, 3.64). However, after poring over LSN and being accepted to a couple of schools I didn't anticipate getting in to, I am sort of wishing I had applied to Stanford at least, if not all three. Would it be pointless to spend the money applying at this point with my numbers? I don't want to waste the money if I don't have a chance in hell, but I know I'll always wonder if I could have gotten in.... thoughts?

Y - no not too late (doesn't do rolling admissions), but your chances are soooooo small (look at last year's full GPA range on their site, it includes URM and whatever other crazy qualified applicants you can imagine)

It's hard to tell for H and S, since so few people get in with your stats. I have similar stats and applied to S but not H.

Yeah, I honestly don't know much about Yale. I'm definitely more interested in HS, but again, don't want to apply if it will just be a waste of my time/money at this point.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:51 am

DoubleChecks wrote:mm while it is not too late to apply to HYS, w/ just those numbers, i wouldnt really bother applying to them. have something else on your resume that may be game changing?

Not particularly, though I do have a strong upward grand trend (nothing but 4.0's for the last 2 years at UG). Also, I have what I believe to be a strong personal statement, if that makes any difference. I don't know, I don't want to regret not applying but I don't want to waste my money either...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:51 am

artichoke wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Yeah, I honestly don't know much about Yale. I'm definitely more interested in HS, but again, don't want to apply if it will just be a waste of my time/money at this point.

Well from experience S involves a lot of extra work. You need your undergrad dean to submit a form B. I would suggest targeted LORs that are recommended by the school. They also want a PS that emphasizes a public service commitment, which may or may not be your current PS (I added a Stanford targeted paragraph at the end of mine)

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:57 am

bdubs wrote:
Well from experience S involves a lot of extra work. You need your undergrad dean to submit a form B. I would suggest targeted LORs that are recommended by the school. They also want a PS that emphasizes a public service commitment, which may or may not be your current PS (I added a Stanford targeted paragraph at the end of mine)

Really? I wasn't aware Stanford required anything from my UG Dean. That is essentially impossible at this point so I guess that helps my decision in that respect quite a bit. Thanks!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 am

artichoke wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Really? I wasn't aware Stanford required anything from my UG Dean. That is essentially impossible at this point so I guess that helps my decision in that respect quite a bit. Thanks!

Well that is usually not that hard. For me it just required e-mailing my school's office a scanned copy of the form. The dean of students (or their equivalent) probably gets 10s or 100s of these requests every year, so it's really just a formality. The problem is the processing time, since S does rolling admissions like most other schools.

http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... mB2010.pdf

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:01 am

bdubs wrote:
Well that is usually not that hard. For me it just required e-mailing my school's office a scanned copy of the form. The dean of students (or their equivalent) probably gets 10s or 100s of these requests every year, so it's really just a formality. The problem is the processing time, since S does rolling admissions like most other schools.

Oh, yeah, I suppose that would mean getting my application in in late December at the earliest, which would certainly be too late. Again, thanks for the information.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:19 am

artichoke wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Oh, yeah, I suppose that would mean getting my application in in late December at the earliest, which would certainly be too late. Again, thanks for the information.

Why do you think applying in late December would be too late?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:21 am

artichoke wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:mm while it is not too late to apply to HYS, w/ just those numbers, i wouldnt really bother applying to them. have something else on your resume that may be game changing?

Not particularly, though I do have a strong upward grand trend (nothing but 4.0's for the last 2 years at UG). Also, I have what I believe to be a strong personal statement, if that makes any difference. I don't know, I don't want to regret not applying but I don't want to waste my money either...

hard to balance...esp. since i dont know which one matters more to you. personally, if i were in your shoes, i probably wouldnt do it. the upward trend does not really matter, and everyone thinks they have a strong personal statement hahaha. lawschoolpredictor.com puts you at deny for HY and almost just as low a chance at SLS.

fyi, applying in late december is not too late. it isnt early either, however. if your main concern is the timing issue, then go for it. if you want to save money, then i say dont (unless you really would, for some reason, regret it like crazy).

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:24 am

I'd say out of H and Y for sure - below both medians. You are above LSAT median for S so you could give it a shot if you think you have an overall strong application, but with that GPA you are most probably out as well. Of course miracles do happen.

Enjoy CCN.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:33 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
artichoke wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Why do you think applying in late December would be too late?

I don't know, maybe because I'm a stickler for being early/on-time for everything. Maybe because I'm just ill-informed.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 am

Ragged wrote:I'd say out of H and Y for sure - below both medians. You are above LSAT median for S so you could give it a shot if you think you have an overall strong application, but with that GPA you are most probably out as well. Of course miracles do happen.

Enjoy CCN.

Right, I know, which is why I didn't apply in the first place. But on LSN it seems it does happen to the odd few, and whether or not it's arrogant to think those odds could favor me, I do feel I have an inkling of a chance at HS at least... Though I suppose that argument could be made for anyone.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 am

artichoke wrote:
Ragged wrote:I'd say out of H and Y for sure - below both medians. You are above LSAT median for S so you could give it a shot if you think you have an overall strong application, but with that GPA you are most probably out as well. Of course miracles do happen.

Enjoy CCN.

Right, I know, which is why I didn't apply in the first place. But on LSN it seems it does happen to the odd few, and whether or not it's arrogant to think those odds could favor me, I do feel I have an inkling of a chance at HS at least... Though I suppose that argument could be made for anyone.

For sure man. You might be the one, who knows. It all depends on how much you value the extra 350$.

Last cycle I applied to H and S with even less competative numbers than yours, got a ding and a WL/ding respectively but I'm still glad to have applied.

DeepSeaLaw

Postby DeepSeaLaw » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:44 am

Too late? no. Yale is arguably the only school for which when you apply makes no difference, within reason, and you're not too late in the game for any school.

That being said, your GPA is really low for all three. There's been a pretty strict GPA floor for Harvard since Rubenstein took over, and it's significantly above your GPA even with a high-170s LSAT. Yes, your LSAT is at Stanford's 75th, but they're also extremely unlikely to dip into the 3.6's even with super-compelling softs, which you aren't claiming. They just don't really take splitters, which is the reason their admissions are considered so selective despite the fact that their medians look similar to UVA's. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com's SLS graph for 2009-2010: there's nothing but red within a long-shot of your numbers, and the closest green dots are all URM. Even bleaker situation at HLS.

For Yale, combine SLS and HLS and take it up a notch -- even better numbers than Harvard, even better softs than Stanford.

So if the extra $80-100 each isn't a big deal, go ahead and throw an app or two in. It might be worth it just to know. But assuming you're not a superstar in other dimensions besides LSAT/GPA, your chances are very low at all of the three.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:11 pm

artichoke wrote:
bdubs wrote:

December is on time. not late.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 pm

DeepSeaLaw wrote:So if the extra $80-100 each isn't a big deal, go ahead and throw an app or two in. It might be worth it just to know. But assuming you're not a superstar in other dimensions besides LSAT/GPA, your chances are very low at all of the three.

I would say that if you're wondering about it now, you'll be wondering about it later. It's probably worth the money, even if you only end up with a rejection letter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”