(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:21 am

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Re: Quickkk, resume question

Postby cinephile » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 am

I think you should definitely include them. These applications are an exception to the 1-page resume rule. They really do want more information about you.

eminem

Postby eminem » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 am

You may find some of the answers in this thread useful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138435

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 am

eve2490 wrote:It might sound like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I do the wiser thing.

I omitted my being a teaching assistant and a research assistant to make my resume 1 page for most schools. Should I include the TA and RA positions for those several schools that explicitly dont mind your resume being longer than 1 page? My resume would come out to 1 page and about 4 lines on the 2nd page with those positions included.

Also, I received academic credit for these positions as well and I am not sure if they will be clear just from my transcript or not.

no. a resume going 4 lines onto the 2nd page looks awful. I'm sure you could figure out a way to fit TA & RA without going on to a second page..

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 pm

if its just 4 lines onto page 2, manipulate the margins/ font/ text size so that it fits neatly onto 1 page. You may need to condense some things, or delete some minute details, but its very doable.

if you have anthing about recieving credit for the position- you can get rid of that.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 pm

capitalacq wrote:
eve2490 wrote:It might sound like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I do the wiser thing.

I omitted my being a teaching assistant and a research assistant to make my resume 1 page for most schools. Should I include the TA and RA positions for those several schools that explicitly dont mind your resume being longer than 1 page? My resume would come out to 1 page and about 4 lines on the 2nd page with those positions included.

Also, I received academic credit for these positions as well and I am not sure if they will be clear just from my transcript or not.

no. a resume going 4 lines onto the 2nd page looks awful. I'm sure you could figure out a way to fit TA & RA without going on to a second page..

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... esume4.pdf

Harvard thinks it's quite alright.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I used smaller font and margins on my normal 1 page resume. I also eliminated a couple of volunteer activities etc.
However on the schools that say "really comprehensive resume, up to 3 pages" I made the font a bit bigger, added the activities, and went to stardard margins so it came out to 1.75 pages.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

half a page =/= 4 lines. hth

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

This.

I can't believe you'd consider removing that experience from your resume due to formatting. If you're worried about the second page looking too short, make your font bigger or something. Being a TA and an RA makes your application stronger - don't leave them off... :x

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:44 pm

One could leave those positions off if they are included in the app somewhere. (Like those questions that ask did you work while in UG.) I didn't include all of those positions on my 1 page resume. (But I did put them on the longer resume.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”