NYU Scholarship Essay Question :S

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
padthai

NYU Scholarship Essay Question :S

Postby padthai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:01 am

I know that a lot of the "optional" Why X essays for schools like Michigan and Penn aren't so optional at all.

But I was wondering, if I want to apply for the NYU Public Interest Scholarships, is it ok to use my personal statement as my scholarship essay? Or is this an inherent no-no? My ps perfectly captures details of a service event that made me realize the importance of public interest law. Will NYU think I'm lazy for using my ps as my scholarship essay? :?

Oh also, I called the admissions office and the lady said the scholarship committee has access to my entire file.

What do you think? Opinions appreciated!

fugitivejammer

Re: NYU Scholarship Essay Question :S

Postby fugitivejammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:21 am

I think you should create a new essay fitting the requirements of the certain scholarship u r applying for - u prolly can't avoid hitting the same topics discussed in ur PS, but try to improve it, expand on certain relevant points, and anything else that can just make it a better piece of writing if possible.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:53 am

fugitivejammer wrote:I think you should create a new essay fitting the requirements of the certain scholarship u r applying for - u prolly can't avoid hitting the same topics discussed in ur PS, but try to improve it, expand on certain relevant points, and anything else that can just make it a better piece of writing if possible.

Agreed. If something in your PS is THAT good that you simply have to mention it again, then at least paraphrase the hell out of it.

MW

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:44 am

Ok thanks for your replies!

I'm thinking about 2 pages will suffice for this essay, right?

Also, do you think the scholarship committee will read over my PS and DS as well, since they have access to my file?

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Hm before you choose an arbitrary page length, I'd double check to see if the specific scholarship you're applying for doesn't already have a requirement. Some of the scholarships do, but not sure which ones - you can find that info out on the NYU Law website though. Just curious, which schollys are you applying for?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm

I am writing one for NYU and it's going to be 1 page only. Looking at the prompts, I think 1 page is sufficient for any of them.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Are you talking about Root-Tilden-Kern? You can use your regular personal statement if it covers the topic. If you do the additional essay, it cannot exceed 750 words. See http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... /index.htm

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Yep! I'm applying for the RTK scholarship.
I would rather not write another essay (I think my ps fits well), but it looks like I should. 750 words = 2ish pages.

I really hope the scholarship committee also looks over my entire application file and not just the scholarship-specific essay + recommendation letter.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:27 pm

good luck! i'd be interested to see if you win!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:31 pm

padthai wrote:Yep! I'm applying for the RTK scholarship.
I would rather not write another essay (I think my ps fits well), but it looks like I should. 750 words = 2ish pages.

I really hope the scholarship committee also looks over my entire application file and not just the scholarship-specific essay + recommendation letter.

I'm sure it's the only thing on our app that they look at, actually. :P

padthai

Postby padthai » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:06 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:good luck! i'd be interested to see if you win!

Thank you!!

Tanicius wrote:

Why do you think that? Looking through the scholarship info, it looks the committee really values diversity. How would they learn about an applicant's diversity factor without reading through the entire application?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:10 pm

padthai wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:good luck! i'd be interested to see if you win!

Thank you!!

Tanicius wrote:

Why do you think that? Looking through the scholarship info, it looks the committee really values diversity. How would they learn about an applicant's diversity factor without reading through the entire application?

:wink:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”