Speeding Ticket Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Birdlaw

Bronze

Speeding Ticket Addendum

Post by Birdlaw » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Almost ready to submit one of my last applications and realized that they actually DO want me to disclose any traffic violations. I've had around 3 speeding tickets (I think), and driving with an expired license. All of these occurred when I was in high school. Also, I've had a handful of parking tickets. I have no idea how to disclose this information because I have no idea what dates they were on or what the exact infraction was.

From what I've heard specificity is best in disclosing this information. However, I cannot wait for the DMV to mail me my driving record (the 2010-2011 cycle will be over by then.) My real question is, how specific do I have to be. Most people say that admissions don't care (then why are they asking?!?!?), but I need to give them something. Would just the year of the infraction and the infraction itself suffice? Honestly I cannot really even remember the years for all of them.

Here is the exact wording:
"Have you ever in your life been charged with, or arrested for, the violation of any law including traffic laws, misdemeanors, goss misdemeanors, felonies, or the equivalent?"

Awful luck considering this is the last application I filled out and its to a school that I really want to attend. Should have read the application more carefully instead of focusing on my PS.

Deuce

Silver

Re: Speeding Ticket Addendum

Post by Deuce » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm

All I did was state the number of moving traffic violations in which years. You really do not have to be very specific when it comes to traffic tickets, just as long as you acknowledge that you were cited in X year.

kopper

New

Post by kopper » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:31 pm

i think this has more to do with your academic record when going for the bar exam. i don't think traffic tickets are applicable for the bar however would guess they are on the app to induce applicants to all minor to ensure they don't miss minor criminal violations. I know people who have missed the minor criminal stuff on the app thinking it didn't apply and had to add an addendum to their application after joing and attending the school. Having to do that makies it difficult on the applicant during the bar exam process. I wouldn't be concerned. Give the best and most accurate information you can. don't let the traffic violation data hold up your application. again i think it is just a precaution by the school to make sure all the pertinent info makes it onto the app.

WithoutMe

New

Post by WithoutMe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 pm

I went to dmv in my state (New York) and asked for a driver abstract IN PERSON. Cost me 10 bucks and gave me dates

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:04 am

most cities have some sort of online archive where you can check up on any violations you may have had using only your birth date or SS#

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 am

What schools want speeding ticket stuff?

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:12 am

I sent one to UPenn, NYU, Berkeley bc their questions didnt explicitly say "excluding minor traffic violations"

McDeere

New

Post by McDeere » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:11 am

I refuse to apply to schools that ask about speeding tickets

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”