What is a "preliminary" waitlist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

What is a "preliminary" waitlist?

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:31 pm

What is the difference between a "preliminary waitlist" vs. a regular waitlist? Is it just an extra word that means nothing, or that I was just waitlisted early in the game?

northwood

Re: What is a "preliminary" waitlist?

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 pm

it probably means that you are close to being in, but they want to see how some other applicants numbers are.

You are not officially waitlisted, until further review ( but yes, you are technically waitlisted- )

its okay. PSU will let you in with open arms, plus a min. of 18k scholly with no strings attached :mrgreen:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:37 pm

northwood wrote:it probably means that you are close to being in, but they want to see how some other applicants numbers are.

You are not officially waitlisted, until further review ( but yes, you are technically waitlisted- )

its okay. PSU will let you in with open arms, plus a min. of 18k scholly with no strings attached :mrgreen:

haha its Iowa that I'm talking about :( I really want to know what it means.. EXACTLY hah

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I
Only
Wanna
Answer that makes sense

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Anyone else have any idea??

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:59 pm

I think it's like a holding cell, before you're processed and put in central lockup.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 pm

ahduth wrote:I think it's like a holding cell, before you're processed and put in central lockup.

lol. well if central lockup is an admit I would be happy ;)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Barbie wrote:
ahduth wrote:I think it's like a holding cell, before you're processed and put in central lockup.

That's not a bad analogy actually. Once you go into debt, you're basically an indentured servant anyway. It's kind of like probation. You can roam for a few hours, but you better check in by morning.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Barbie wrote:

That's not a bad analogy actually. Once you go into debt, you're basically an indentured servant anyway. It's kind of like probation. You can roam for a few hours, but you better check in by morning.

Okay, now you lost me... I just want to know if a "preliminary waitlist" is better or worse than an actual waitlist.. or how they compare.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:02 am

Barbie wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Okay, now you lost me... I just want to know if a "preliminary waitlist" is better or worse than an actual waitlist.. or how they compare.

I don't think they compare...

its possible that (a) they like to give you more hope than just calling it a waitlist or maybe (b) they have one waitlist for earlier applicants and one for later applicants

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:03 am

capitalacq wrote:
Barbie wrote:
JazzOne wrote:That's not a bad analogy actually. Once you go into debt, you're basically an indentured servant anyway. It's kind of like probation. You can roam for a few hours, but you better check in by morning.

I don't think they compare...

its possible that (a) they like to give you more hope than just calling it a waitlist or maybe (b) they have one waitlist for earlier applicants and one for later applicants

a and b would both mean its just the same thing as a waitlist

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”