Sending Incomplete Apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DAisaka09

Sending Incomplete Apps

Postby DAisaka09 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am

I have a quick question regarding this that i was hoping someone could help me with. I have all my materials ready (personal statement, transcript, diversity statement and optional essays) and I am just waiting on one of my letters of recommendation (I only have two....) . Should I wait for that letter to come in or should I send in my app without it? I heard the letter will get sent to my schools once it gets to lsac, is this true? Thanks for your help.

DAisaka09

Re: Sending Incomplete Apps

Postby DAisaka09 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

lol never mind just got it, ask and you shall receive.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I have the same question, can anyone answer this? does it depend on the school? maybe what happened to op will happen to me now...

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 pm

I did this and am regretting it now. Most of my schools were fine with this, or required two LORs and won't review my app without them, but two of my top choices (NYU and Michigan) made no guarantees that they would wait for my second letter, even though they told me it wouldn't be a big deal over the phone. Now I'm alternately checking LSAC and my status checkers, hoping that my LOR arrives before I go under review at these schools. It's been ten days since my recommender claimed he put his letter in the mail, but no sign of it on LSAC. The whole thing is pretty nerve-wracking and really makes me wish LSAC offered a better way of monitoring the status of these LORs.

I think you should contact any schools you're doing this for and make 100% sure they'll hold your application until they receive the second LOR. Otherwise, don't do it, unless you're comfortable with your application being reviewed without the second letter. Good luck.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:56 pm

From the FAQ thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727
Q: How do I submit LOR after I've submitted the app?
Just go in and assign the LOR to the schools you want. It will update.

I had a similar question to this. I've recently applied for a school in order to meet the application deadline (ED) but the filing deadline to have all materials in is December 1. I submitted everything except for my Personal Statement, which the admissions office said was ok. Does anyone know if I can send my PS to the school through LSAC even though i've already applied? I've emailed LSAC but haven't heard yet, wanted to find out if anyone here has had a similar circumstance. Thanks!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:03 pm

NM, I called LSAC and they told me once the application is sent, additional documents like PS or addenda need to be sent by other means. Just fyi.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”