Debate Team Project...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Debate Team Project...

Postby shanshan333 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:57 am

I know that this is the admission's forum... but I figure that since this is a website of aspiring lawyers... this is the best place to ask for help with my debate team competition on Saturday... At the last minute someone backed out (today) and I got stuck with all her issues that I now have to argue in a 10 minute speech. I was wondering if any of you could help me compile some ideas.

One of the cases I'm not sure of:

Whether or not spanking should be legal.

(I apologize in advance for people who will become annoyed at the sight of an off-topic forum)

Re: Debate Team Project...

Postby MysticalWheel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:32 am

Ah, debate...that brings me back (and forward!).

Anyways, off the top of my head, I would explore the differentiation between spanking and abuse. If spanking is successfully and clearly differentiated from abuse, and presented as having no lasting negative side effects (psychological or physical), I believe you can convincingly argue that it falls under the purview of justifiable parental discipline.

To argue the contrary, I would focus on either proving that spanking is unnecessary (i.e., other, less controversial disciplinary means can achieve the effect of order in children) or that it promotes a violent environment that significantly impacts the development of a child's general character and psychological well-being.

I'm sure you can find statistics/studies regarding most of these variables online or through one of your library's data services.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”