do they curve different school's GPAs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
valleybound

do they curve different school's GPAs?

Postby valleybound » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:44 pm

i was looking at my transcripts, and i have a pretty random question - do law schools curve GPAs from different schools? some schools have a base of 4.0 where A+ and A are both 4.0's, but some schools have a base of 4.3 where A+ counts as a 4.3. How do law schools take that into account?

rinkrat19

Re: do they curve different school's GPAs?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Those of us who went to schools where an A+ was worth 4.0 get screwed. That's how LSAC deals with it.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 pm

LSAC counts A+ = 4.33 and A = 4.00, no matter how the UG counts it. Those who went to schools that didn't give A+ get screwed.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:09 pm

im_blue wrote:LSAC counts A+ = 4.33 and A = 4.00, no matter how the UG counts it. Those who went to schools that didn't give A+ get screwed.

This.

dtubin

Postby dtubin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm

My A+ does count as a 4.33, but then again, my A- would be a 3.67. Yet, if your school doesn't do the +/-'s and you hit a 91%, you are in luck with a normal 4.0. It sometimes works in a good way, but also in a bad one. So I wouldn't count is as getting full screwed.

ballents

Postby ballents » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 pm

dtubin wrote:My A+ does count as a 4.33, but then again, my A- would be a 3.67. Yet, if your school doesn't do the +/-'s and you hit a 91%, you are in luck with a normal 4.0. It sometimes works in a good way, but also in a bad one. So I wouldn't count is as getting full screwed.

Yes, this is true in some cases. However, my school, like many others, has the plus/minus system but without the possibility of an A+. Worst of both worlds.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 pm

ballents wrote:
dtubin wrote:My A+ does count as a 4.33, but then again, my A- would be a 3.67. Yet, if your school doesn't do the +/-'s and you hit a 91%, you are in luck with a normal 4.0. It sometimes works in a good way, but also in a bad one. So I wouldn't count is as getting full screwed.

Yes, this is true in some cases. However, my school, like many others, has the plus/minus system but without the possibility of an A+. Worst of both worlds.

No. Worst of both worlds is being an engineer where the professors are all foreign and think the average grade should be a C.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm

rayiner wrote:
ballents wrote:

No. Worst of both worlds is being an engineer where the professors are all foreign and think the average grade should be a C.

No, worst of both worlds is this plus all the engineering students are also from china/india and if they get below an A it means dishonor and they can't let that happen. and the professors don't really speak english. that's when it sucks to be an american.

But I do have the plus/minus system without A+s, and it does kinda suck.

valleybound

Postby valleybound » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:22 am

oh! thanks! good to know :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:55 pm

rayiner wrote:
ballents wrote:

I had an EE TA who had such a strong accent that I couldn't tell the difference between her pronunciations of "volt" and "watt." (They both sounded like "wohlt".) Which is a problem.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
ballents wrote:

+1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”