3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
youarereadingthis
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 pm

I took the lsat last year and scored within that range, which was a point or two higher than I was scoring on PT's. I thought my softs were strong enough to pull me into a T14 school and applied to several of them this cycle as well as some great regional T1 schools.

Now, I still haven't heard back from any schools and have not asked them to hold my application for a future lsat score. However, I was working a full time job the first time I studied for the exam and don't feel like I really peaked because my study time was extrememly limited. Each PT was a higher score than the one before it and I only took 4 in total before my exam.

Things at my current job aren't so rosey and I am contemplating a retake in February while studying full time and giving it my undivided attention.

I know I didn't time this well...

Do you suggest doing this? Should I contact schools to tell them to hold my application if I become confident in my subsequent PT scores? If I get rejected from the schools I just realized I really wanted to attend before the Feb test, would I be at a disadvantage if I apply again next year with a higher score?

How high of a score would I need for a second go at CCN?

I thought I would be proud to go to several specific T1 schools outside the T14, but I realized I'm not really following my dreams. I'd prefer to give it an honest shot and fail than to play it safe.

Please give me advice

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby frost » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Definitely retake if you think you can score significantly higher, as in at least a 169 given the 3-point error margin.

Your chances for T14 are slim and your chances for CCN are close to nil right now. If you look at LSN for Columbia last year, only two people got in with a 3.5, and they had 175/176 on their LSATs.

If you don't think you can score higher, then hopefully you will be admitted somewhere this cycle. If not, reapply next year and consider applying ED somewhere to boost your chances. Even then, I think you're a longshot for T14 unless you have amazing softs.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Holding applications at T14 until February is probably not the best choice because there will be too few spots left and almost zero $ to acquire.

Your best bet would be to continue working, gain more WE, and retake in June. Hit your goal of a higher score and then apply very early in the cycle (the day it opens) next cycle. That way you have plenty of time to prepare for the exam, plenty of time to prepare your materials for submission, plenty of time to laugh at everyone else who is scrambling around next cycle while you sit back drinking lemonade and grilling out in the fall when its still warm.

youarereadingthis
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:30 pm

gambelda wrote:Holding applications at T14 until February is probably not the best choice because there will be too few spots left and almost zero $ to acquire.

Your best bet would be to continue working, gain more WE, and retake in June. Hit your goal of a higher score and then apply very early in the cycle (the day it opens) next cycle. That way you have plenty of time to prepare for the exam, plenty of time to prepare your materials for submission, plenty of time to laugh at everyone else who is scrambling around next cycle while you sit back drinking lemonade and grilling out in the fall when its still warm.


Good advice. Should I withdraw my current apps?

Also, I don't see why I shouldn't just take the Feb exam... My work experience is on my resume, and it isn't going anywhere. I want to do this sooner rather than later.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 pm

youarereadingthis wrote:
gambelda wrote:I want to do this sooner rather than later.


If you want it out of the way and think you can perform well enough by Feb, then do it. An extra 6 months will help in areas like RC and LR and will allow you the opportunity to do every single preptest and not stres syourself in how frequently/dedicated you have to be with your studying. Also, not sure if this is something that is important to you, but the June test starts closer to noon. If you think better at mid-day, it may be a better option all around.

There's no difference in taking feb or nov exams though if you plan to apply next cycle. Just would you rather have 2 months of obligatory studying or 6 months?

youarereadingthis
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby youarereadingthis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 pm

gambelda wrote:
youarereadingthis wrote:
gambelda wrote:I want to do this sooner rather than later.


If you want it out of the way and think you can perform well enough by Feb, then do it. An extra 6 months will help in areas like RC and LR and will allow you the opportunity to do every single preptest and not stres syourself in how frequently/dedicated you have to be with your studying. Also, not sure if this is something that is important to you, but the June test starts closer to noon. If you think better at mid-day, it may be a better option all around.

There's no difference in taking feb or nov exams though if you plan to apply next cycle. Just would you rather have 2 months of obligatory studying or 6 months?


I'll have to think about that fast. Either way though, should I withdraw my current apps for this year?

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: 3.5 / 164-166 Sent out apps but want to retake in Feb

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Up to you. You can see if anybody accepts you at sticker price. But I doubt you get money with those scores, if accepted at all to T14.

I'm no expert with what happens if you apply once, get denied, and apply again next cycle (even with a higher LSAT score). You may want to bring this up in the advice section of the forums. If you withdraw you still lose your app fee, so If there's no harm caused down the road from being denied this cycle, I dont see why leaving them in is a bad thing.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests