need a resume boost-is a business cert worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jackattack17

need a resume boost-is a business cert worth it?

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 am

So, I'm thinking about taking this online business essentials certification program that my UG offers (I graduated in May) to boost my resume a little. It costs $2700, takes 2 months or so (online), and I would update my resume to reflect this. I'm probably WL on most of the schools I'm applying to. So my question is, will this be worth it and help me get over the hump?

northwood

Re: need a resume boost-is a business cert worth it?

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:32 am

i dont think so. At this point in the game, its going to be too late. You need to do something with it for it to have a marginal return on your investment. 2,700 plus your time is a decent sized investment for something that will marginally help your cause.

Now, if you were to wait a year, and put that certificate to good use- then id say do it. But since it sounds like you want to go to school in the fall, I dont think there is enough time to justify it. my 2 cents on it, do what you think is best.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 pm

gdizz01

Postby gdizz01 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Impact on admission will probably be negligible...

...however...

I completed a certificate in financial management online, which is offered by cornell university. It also costs around 2700 if I recall correctly (they have specials a few times a year and I think I caught one and paid 2200 for mine). I honestly feel like it makes my resume sparkle a bit, and I have gotten excellenttttt responses from employers because of it- including some recruiters and top companies including one of the better V5 firms. My undergrad was non-business and I work in corporate finance and I think that it's a great credential to have; certainly can't be seen as a liability, so I think if it's something you're interested in and you want to work in corporate, it can only help.

I researched extensively before I settled on Cornell, and very many top schools offer business certificate programs online or in person, including columbia, dartmouth, harvard (you can actually attend and get a degree via the extension school, without applying to the main university), penn, and many others (university of london also has hundreds of certificates, undergrad and graduate degrees you can earn online from UoL system schools, which include University College London and the London School of Economics- two of the best schools in the country).

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:57 pm

not gonna help you get admitted. not gonna help get a job. might help you understand more while on the job, but you can probably also just cross-register and take courses at a B school while at law school and kill 2 birds with 1 stone

fragged

Postby fragged » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 am

I would spend that $2700 on LSAT study materials - heck, for that much you could even afford a personal tutor. The boost in your score will be worth 10X what that certificate will do for you. That is, assuming you aren't already scoring in the 170's...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”