resume question--didn't do TFA but accepted, include it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrissyc

resume question--didn't do TFA but accepted, include it?

Postby chrissyc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 am

I was selected for teach for america but didn't do it. I went to grad school at UCLA instead. Should I include the acceptance as an accomplishment or would that be stupid? I know it's a dumb question but I'm just curious.

what sorts of accomplishments did you all include?

arism87

Re: resume question--didn't do TFA but accepted, include it?

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:37 am

No. You were selected for the other parts of your app- law schools will also be impressed. However, I think it's silly to include it. We all pass up on opportunities to pursue others.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:49 am

I think showing a law school that you have a history of going through lengthy application processes only to turn down offers upon acceptance will not bode well for your cycle.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:39 am

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to list all of the law schools I was admitted to and didn't attend on my resume for this summer...

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:26 am

blowhard wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm going to list all of the law schools I was admitted to and didn't attend on my resume for this summer...

Are abrasive, sarcastic comments really necessary? Sheesh..I guess I will think twice before asking questions.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I guess it was silly.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am

chrissyc wrote:
blowhard wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm going to list all of the law schools I was admitted to and didn't attend on my resume for this summer...

Are abrasive, sarcastic comments really necessary? Sheesh..I guess I will think twice before asking questions.

Yes, I believe in this case they were. Why on earth would you list something you didn't actually do but were merely invited to do?

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 am

blowhard wrote:
chrissyc wrote:

Yes, I believe in this case they were. Why on earth would you list something you didn't actually do but were merely invited to do?

I asked because some part of me knew that I PROBABLY shouldn't but I wanted to err on the side of caution. TFA is rather competitive and I didn't want to dismiss it if it would be considered an "accomplishment" or "honor"...I simply want to do this all the right way and highlight things that would make me stand out. I now know that it isn't smart and it's apparent that it was a dumb idea but again...I simply didn't know for sure. I don't understand what I did to warrant such an unkind response. My apologies.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 am

only list things you actually did. Otherwise you can get into some serious trouble.

Remember George O'Leary? Hired as ND football coach- listed things he thought about doing, but didnt end up doing? Proclaims ND to be a dream job.... Got fired the next day ( as soon as they found out)

dont be a George O'Leary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 am

northwood wrote:only list things you actually did. Otherwise you can get into some serious trouble.

Remember George O'Leary? Hired as ND football coach- listed things he thought about doing, but didnt end up doing? Proclaims ND to be a dream job.... Got fired the next day ( as soon as they found out)

dont be a George O'Leary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, he killed a kid. Don't be him for that reason either.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”