LOR help please!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gtrwanka

LOR help please!

Postby gtrwanka » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:00 am

Hi everyone,

Im new to the board and I joined specifically because applying is so confusing. The LSAC is a crime and is the most confusing thing in the world so I wanted to ask some basic questions from the more experienced people on the forum.

My question is concerning LORs. Pretty much all the schools Im applying to want me to go through LSAC's CAS system which I've begrudgingly dished out $$$ for. How do I go about using it? Do I write up a generic template for my recommenders when I add them into CAS? What if different schools want different things? Do my recommenders specifically cite the name of the school in their letters or do they just submit a generic letter to LSAC?

I'm so confused. Any help would be appreciated. If this topic has been discussed ad nauseum could you pot a link to older posts? I tried to do a search but yielded little results. Thanks!
Last edited by gtrwanka on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Re: LOR/LSAC/CAS help please!

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:31 pm

gtrwanka

Re: LOR help please!

Postby gtrwanka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 am

SO when I go through CAS for my LORs, I basically have to tell my professors/boss what I want mentioned in my recommendations? Thats what that description section is for?

Also since Im going through a system that streamlines the process, my recommenders just need to say "_______ is recommended to your institution." Not "_________ is recommended for (specific school name).

?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 am

You don't have to tell your professors anything if you don't want. There is a lot of advice on this site about how to approach a professor to ask for a LOR, what to provide them when they say yes, how to do it etc. You don't have to follow it. Most professors have written enough LORs that they know what is expected of them and they don't really need your instructions.

For example, I followed the advice of the forum when asking my professor for the LOR but I didn't provide a copy of my transcript, my personal statement, and a list of what I would like outlined in the letter as some of the advice on here suggests you do. I didn't do this because my professor knows me well enough to know which classes I took with him (and they were recent) and he knows me well enough in general so that I trust him to write me a letter without me instructing him. One of my professors asked for a copy of my resume so I gave him one. Some people have a general theme that they are trying to build into their application so they ask the professor to touch on the same things within the letter.

Whether or not your professors write you one general letter or school-specific letters is up to you (and the prof obviously). If you are applying to a normal amount of schools (8-15?) then it would be really hard for your professors to write you 8 different LOR's. If you do want school-specific letters then you should probably pick 1 or 2 schools that you REALLY want your prof to write specific letters for. For the others have them write a general letter than can go to any school.

Hope this helps!

gtrwanka

Postby gtrwanka » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 am

OK that helps a lot! I remember in high school all of this was done for you by your guidance counselors. I appreciate the help. I figured that a professor wouldnt have to write 20 different letters. Thanks for the clarification!

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 am

gtrwanka wrote:OK that helps a lot! I remember in high school all of this was done for you by your guidance counselors. I appreciate the help. I figured that a professor wouldnt have to write 20 different letters. Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah the whole point of LSAC is that your professor only needs to write ONE letter and they send it to ALL of your schools. Which is great because during UG apps you had to have them send each letter to each school which was annoying. No problem! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”