Resume questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
URMdan

Resume questions

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 am

After using the search feature, and exploring the TLS resume article, I have some questions to ask.

-Is it ever appropriate to exceed 3 sub-bullets?

-Is it appropriate to just list a retail WE and not elaborate on it? I am considering doing this as a way to save real estate.

-I have the same header for every document that I upload to LSAC, which includes my name, document title, and LSAC#. Should I keep the same format for my resume which has my name in big font at the very top? or should I change the header format to something else?

r6_philly

Re: Resume questions

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:54 am

URMdan wrote:After using the search feature, and exploring the TLS resume article, I have some questions to ask.

-Is it ever appropriate to exceed 3 sub-bullets?

If you need to. You probably don't need to.

-Is it appropriate to just list a retail WE and not elaborate on it? I am considering doing this as a way to save real estate.

I have entries on my resume that are just job titles. But they are self-explanatory and are identical to other jobs. Like "Web Developer" for 4 different times.

For retail, maybe you can put down your hours per week if it's during the school year. If not, "sales associate" should be sufficient. You may want to indicate hours/shift anyway so it doesn't look like a part-time job.

-I have the same header for every document that I upload to LSAC, which includes my name, document title, and LSAC#. Should I keep the same format for my resume which has my name in big font at the very top? or should I change the header format to something else?

My resume is different that the other docs. I used my professional resume as a template so my header is formatted like how you describe it. Big name, then smaller address/phone/email + L#

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 am

Also, is it Washington, DC or Washington, D.C. on a law school resume? I have seen it used both ways which can't be right.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:22 am

URMdan wrote:Also, is it Washington, DC or Washington, D.C. on a law school resume? I have seen it used both ways which can't be right.

If you are listing locations such as New York, NY then I would write Washington, DC

If for some reason you need to write about the D.C. Government, then I would use the punctuation.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:04 am

exceeding 3 sub bullets is fine as long as you actually have a legitimate reason to do so. Just don't have sections where you only have 1 bullet under a line. Everytime I critique a resume and see this it makes me cringe.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm

gambelda wrote:Just don't have sections where you only have 1 bullet under a line. Everytime I critique a resume and see this it makes me cringe.

So are you saying that it's not acceptable to just list a WE and not elaborate with sub bullets (ie retail jobs)? Or is elaborating to 1 sub bullet what makes you cringe? If it's the former, you realize your advice conflicts with r6_philly's advice in this thread (see below).

Also, my first rough draft for my resume consists of an AG internship which I listed 5 sub bullets, all of which are good IMO. Is 5 way over board? Or is it appropriate since it's a legal-related WE that I would probably use post-LS? Should I try and cut it down to 4?

r6_philly wrote:

I have entries on my resume that are just job titles. But they are self-explanatory and are identical to other jobs. Like "Web Developer" for 4 different times.

For retail, maybe you can put down your hours per week if it's during the school year. If not, "sales associate" should be sufficient. You may want to indicate hours/shift anyway so it doesn't look like a part-time job.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:11 pm

what makes me cringe is when someone puts a work experience or extracirricular activity down and then puts one bullet underneath it to describe it. The rule of thumb is you never ever put only 1 bullet for anything. If you can describe it in one line, take it out or make it a one-liner.

Listing similar roles and jobs in only 1 line is fine, but I wouldn't do it extensively. I'm not a fan of it, but I also think that the whole one-line issue is more of a preference from person to person. As far as I know it doesn't violate any unwritten codes, etc.

5 bullets might be a bit much for an internship UNLESS it is your only work experience whatsoever. REALLY EVALUATE your bullets. Do they emphasize the impact you made to the organization or do they simply summarize what you did in your job. If it's the latter then nix them or improve them by showing how these specific tasks benefited the company when you did them and down the road.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”