How much does withdrawing from Early Decision hurt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: How much does withdrawing from Early Decision hurt?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 pm

iowalum wrote:So there are no instances of a school letting you truly 'defer' (secure a seat for next year) with ED?

If you apply ED, and then get accepted, you can request that they'll defer you for a year, but if they grant the deferral it would be on the understanding that you're still committed to attending them in the following year.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank you - that's what I was looking for. Is this a slap in the face, or are most schools fairly understanding if you send an explanation?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm

it probably depends on your reasoning.

Either way, if you arent completely 100% sure you want to do it, then dont.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, I am completely sure that is the school I want to go to and have already applied ED, but my financial situation has changed and now I am considering deferring for a year to work in the state and get residency. It would be nice to have a secure seat, but the ED is probably risky.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm

iowalum wrote:Thank you - that's what I was looking for. Is this a slap in the face, or are most schools fairly understanding if you send an explanation?

If you have a good explanation, I don't think they'll take it as a slap in the face, even though they may still deny it.

I suspect the best explanations would meet two different things: 1) good enough to justify deferring for a year, and 2) something that became possible, or moved from possible to certain, after you submitted your application. Point #2 would make things better because it shows them you weren't EDing (committing to attending next year) after you were already sure you wouldn't want to attend for at least another year.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:26 pm

iowalum wrote:Well, I am completely sure that is the school I want to go to and have already applied ED, but my financial situation has changed and now I am considering deferring for a year to work in the state and get residency. It would be nice to have a secure seat, but the ED is probably risky.

If it's a school with allotments for in-state residents only, you might actually have an easier time applying next year when you can apply as a resident. Schools have a reason to let you defer, since it helps them too (they need more in-state folks with good applications in every year), and if they don't take you at all, you can reapply in-state and have better odds of getting in the following year.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Vanwinkle, how much of a slap in the face do you personally think it just to go from ED to RD then?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 pm

czelede wrote:Vanwinkle, how much of a slap in the face do you personally think it just to go from ED to RD then?

I think there's two ways adcomms could read such a move that would be bad for you:

1) "I'm no longer committed to attending your school." This tells schools you're less likely to attend if accepted, and they probably won't like that.

2) "I'm indecisive and didn't fully think things through." They can easily assume this from the fact that you're trying to back out of a commitment, and they may really not like that. The law is all about commitments, and someone who starts off their legal career by trying to make one and then back out on it is probably not someone they want to associate with.

I don't think you'll see anything worse happen than just an RD rejection, which you might get anyway, but there are certainly reasons they might want to give you one after you did that.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
czelede wrote:Vanwinkle, how much of a slap in the face do you personally think it just to go from ED to RD then?

I think there's two ways adcomms could read such a move that would be bad for you:

1) "I'm no longer committed to attending your school." This tells schools you're less likely to attend if accepted, and they probably won't like that.

2) "I'm indecisive and didn't fully think things through." They can easily assume this from the fact that you're trying to back out of a commitment, and they may really not like that. The law is all about commitments, and someone who starts off their legal career by trying to make one and then back out on it is probably not someone they want to associate with.

I don't think you'll see anything worse happen than just an RD rejection, which you might get anyway, but there are certainly reasons they might want to give you one after you did that.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of :/ Thanks! Ah well, here's to hoping for a waitlist I guess!

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm

think of it this way. If you get rejected/ wL at the school, then get accepted with money at some others, then you have the option of going to school at a lower cost ( assuming you were strongly considering those schools)

rv11

Postby rv11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 pm

What about withdrawing ED completely? I understand that they can refuse to let you switch from ED to RD, but can they do anything about withdrawing your app as long as it's prior to a decision?

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:40 pm

rv11 wrote:What about withdrawing ED completely? I understand that they can refuse to let you switch from ED to RD, but can they do anything about withdrawing your app as long as it's prior to a decision?

I think this is usually acceptable (as in, you're allowed to do so) but I can't say for sure. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be at least, given the verbage of the ED contracts.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm

czelede wrote:
rv11 wrote:What about withdrawing ED completely? I understand that they can refuse to let you switch from ED to RD, but can they do anything about withdrawing your app as long as it's prior to a decision?

I think this is usually acceptable (as in, you're allowed to do so) but I can't say for sure. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be at least, given the verbage of the ED contracts.

Does anybody have experience with this or know someone that does? I can't imagine nobody has tried to withdraw an ED app before.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:05 pm

If you request to withdraw your application completely before they've started reviewing it, I can't imagine that they would give you any grief about letting you out of the binding aspect of the contract. They have plenty of applications to go through and I can't imagine they'd waste their time sticking it to you. What are they going to do, accept a student purely out of spite? Heck, an argument could be made that the contract isn't binding until the school has accepted/ratified it in its reviewing process, so a timely withdrawal should stand up if challenged.

That being said, if you go from ED to withdrawing completely, I wouldn't expect a friendly reception should you decide to apply to that school at another time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”