How much does withdrawing from Early Decision hurt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
czelede

How much does withdrawing from Early Decision hurt?

Postby czelede » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:42 pm

As the title would imply ^ Suppose you apply to a school ED and then, for financial reasons, ask to be considered as an RD applicant (after your application has been received/complete but prior to the ED deadline); is this basically asking for a big fat rejection? Has anyone done this in previous cycles?

MysticalWheel

Re: How much does withdrawing from Early Decision hurt?

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 pm

I know of 2 people that withdrew from NYU the day after the Nov. 15th deadline. 1 was rejected and the other was accepted. I think the key to withdrawing from ED is doing it VERY FAST. Call up the office (get the number from the website of the school) and let them know your situation.

MW

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

it all depends on how strong your application is. Either way, congrats on realizing this now, before you were accepted ED, and had to either go( and most likely pay full sticker) or sit out a year.

best of luck

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks! Do you know if there was a difference between the time their applications went complete/they withdrew? It's good to know it's not impossible to get accepted after withdrawing, but I have a feeling your accepted friend was far more auto-admit than me anyways :)

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 pm

northwood wrote:it all depends on how strong your application is. Either way, congrats on realizing this now, before you were accepted ED, and had to either go( and most likely pay full sticker) or sit out a year.

best of luck

Oy! Well, I like to think I had a fairly strong application but then again...don't we all, haha. Unfortunately I still love this school and would love to go there if my situation permits, so it gets a little hairy.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

well.. you still have a chance.

If you are worried, write them an e-mail that explains in detail your reasons for withdrawing from early decision. They would like to know why.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 am

I'm curious about this, too. I asked NYU to transfer me from ED to RD about a week after submitting because some personal, out-of-my-hands stuff changed. They didn't seem too distressed about it. They didn't seem too pleased, either, though.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 am

DreamShake wrote:I'm curious about this, too. I asked NYU to transfer me from ED to RD about a week after submitting because some personal, out-of-my-hands stuff changed. They didn't seem too distressed about it. They didn't seem too pleased, either, though.

Yeah it seems the standard line by the school is "It will not impact your application" but other people seem to think they take it as kind of a slap in the face..."I love you and you're the only one for me! Actually...can we see other people?"

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 am

i dont think its like that. If you explain your actions, and have a good reason to do so, the school should be understanding. While they dont have to admit you, im sure if you were going to be an auto admit anyways, you are still going to be seriously considerded. If they WL you, just write a LOCI, which to praise the school and proclaim your love and admiration for everything that the school is.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 pm

wait... so I'm just wondering.. let's say you don't change your ED status and something changes down the road after you have been accepted/ right before you've been accepted.. you're still under that contract & obligated. Like under no circumstances will they let you out?

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:11 pm

shanshan333 wrote:wait... so I'm just wondering.. let's say you don't change your ED status and something changes down the road after you have been accepted/ right before you've been accepted.. you're still under that contract & obligated. Like under no circumstances will they let you out?

Nope, unless you completely withdraw from law school that cycle. You aren't forced to attend law school, but if you do attend *a* law school that year, it HAS to be the one you ED-ed to.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:18 pm

this is why i personally would advise against ED'ing anywhere unless you are 110% positive you want to go there, and are 110% positive you are okay with paying full sticker

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:33 pm

so basically the only way out of an ED is to defer attending law school until the next year.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 pm

shanshan333 wrote:so basically the only way out of an ED is to defer attending law school until the next year.

Yes. And as a side note (personal opinion), if someone already has scores that will likely get them into many of the top 14 (e.g., 7-14) through RD, the only school they should ED to is Columbia.

MW

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:And as a side note (personal opinion), if someone already has scores that will likely get them into many of the top 14 (e.g., 7-14) through RD, the only school they should ED to is Columbia.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 pm

shanshan333 wrote:so basically the only way out of an ED is to defer attending law school until the next year.

Kind of. It's not "defering" in that you officially put off admission at another school until next year, you have to completely reapply.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

So, will many schools let you keep your seat for the following year if you get accepted ED and have to defer? (pledging you won't apply anywhere else and will definitely go, etc.)

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:And as a side note (personal opinion), if someone already has scores that will likely get them into many of the top 14 (e.g., 7-14) through RD, the only school they should ED to is Columbia.

Naturally. NYU and Columbia are too close in numbers, so the odds of someone who can get in RD in the 7-14 to get in at Columbia are decent, and thus only helped by EDing. Don't even get me started on Chicago.

MW

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 pm

iowalum wrote:So, will many schools let you keep your seat for the following year if you get accepted ED and have to defer? (pledging you won't apply anywhere else and will definitely go, etc.)

Depends on the school, but it's definitely happened before.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 pm

bk1 wrote:

I disagree for four reasons. (1) Columbia is barely better than NYU and UChi and it might be smarter to lock in NYU if you can. (2) Since the difference is small other considerations might make NYU or Uchi better for an individual. (3) Columbia barely gives a boost for ED so why risk EDing there. (4) IF you are a lock at lower T14, then you should probably wait as see about scholarships.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 pm

paratactical wrote:

Kind of. It's not "defering" in that you officially put off admission at another school until next year, you have to completely reapply.

I think OP was using "defer" in the general sense. Good point add-on though.

MW

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Naturally. NYU and Columbia are too close in numbers, so the odds of someone who can get in RD in the 7-14 to get in at Columbia are decent, and thus only helped by EDing. Don't even get me started on Chicago.

MW

It is not this simple at all. It's entirely possible to have numbers good enough for lower T14 but not good enough to get into Columbia, even ED. This is especially true if you're a splitter; barring extreme circumstances (truly epic softs, diversity boosts, etc.) Columbia just has a higher GPA floor than the lower T14. Also, Columbia has a higher LSAT median, meaning you can be above the lower T14 (and good there) but at Columbia's median (and not strong there). If you've got a 172 LSAT and a 3.2 GPA, you can likely get into one or more lower T14s RD, but probably have no shot at Columbia even ED.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:11 pm

So there are no instances of a school letting you truly 'defer' (secure a seat for next year) with ED?

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I disagree for four reasons. (1) Columbia is barely better than NYU and UChi and it might be smarter to lock in NYU if you can. (2) Since the difference is small other considerations might make NYU or Uchi better for an individual. (3) Columbia barely gives a boost for ED so why risk EDing there. (4) IF you are a lock at lower T14, then you should probably wait as see about scholarships.

I appreciate your opinion; here is my counter.

1.) Columbia has name recognition that is head and shoulders above NYU/Chicago, and the quality of its academics compared to NYU/Chicago is debatable.
2.) Hence I added "personal opinion" in my earlier post.
3.) Columbia's ED process is not in the public domain, and neither is NYU's. Either way, a boost is a boost.
4.) Higher ranked school> scholarships (but once again, personal opinion).

MW

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
bk1 wrote:

MW

It is not this simple at all. It's entirely possible to have numbers good enough for lower T14 but not good enough to get into Columbia, even ED. This is especially true if you're a splitter; barring extreme circumstances (truly epic softs, diversity boosts, etc.) Columbia just has a higher GPA floor than the lower T14. Also, Columbia has a higher LSAT median, meaning you can be above the lower T14 (and good there) but at Columbia's median (and not strong there). If you've got a 172 LSAT and a 3.2 GPA, you can likely get into one or more lower T14s RD, but probably have no shot at Columbia even ED.

I understand that; all I was saying is that IF someone WAS to ED (who had numbers for RD at 7-14), Columbia should be the top choice because Chicago/NYU/Columbia all have similar numbers.

MW

Edit: But, then again, the above is a personal opinion based on how one views name recognition/scholarships/other grant monies/ etc...
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”