geo constraint and, well, old age

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rinkrat19

Re: geo constraint and, well, old age

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm

valleybound wrote:interesting! i was under the impression that blueprint (or whatever tutoring course available) is necessary to crack 170ish. and i don't want to spend the $. :)

I'm not married and have no kids, but I'm 31 and working full time, and got a 171 with minimal expenditure (just most of the official PTs and one logic games book) and 7 weeks of somewhat half-assed studying. If I'd made studying a full-time occupation like a lot of the kids on here do, for even a month or so, I'm fairly sure I could've raised it another couple of points. It's different for everyone, but many people get excellent scores without taking any kind of course.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 pm

valleybound wrote:interesting! i was under the impression that blueprint (or whatever tutoring course available) is necessary to crack 170ish. and i don't want to spend the $. :)

I on average did 10-12 LR questions, 1 game, and 1 RC passage per day. Everyday pretty much for 2-3 months right before bed. Part of the reason I didn't retake is because I can't see myself having any time to prep better/differently.

valleybound

Postby valleybound » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:I on average did 10-12 LR questions, 1 game, and 1 RC passage per day. Everyday pretty much for 2-3 months right before bed. Part of the reason I didn't retake is because I can't see myself having any time to prep better/differently.

this sounds like a great habit to me. cool suggestion!!!

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:33 pm

valleybound wrote:
ArghItsBlarg wrote:As a lower-30's 0L myself, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm in Chicago with a house that there's no chance of us selling in this market, so I'm also geographically locked. As for the LSAT, I started studying in June, with a modified version of Pithypike's study guide posted here on the LSAT board. I studied on my train commute every day, sneaking in some studying at work as well. No review course. I borrowed the 2011 Princeton Review from the library, and then it was all practice tests purchased from Amazon. I took the October LSAT 8 days after my second child was born and scored a 173. My brain may not be quite as fine-tuned as it was 10 years ago, but I'd like to think the added wisdom and maturity aided the regularity and practicality of my study habits.

I'm currently planning on going to a Tier Two school, part time, and getting as much scholarship money as I can garner. It'll be pretty hard, especially first year, but it can be done and the potential benefits outweigh staying in my current job track by a power of ten.

This IS VERY HELPFUL! like i said i haven't started studying but i checked out a "cracking the LSAT" book from the library too. the questions seem interesting, lol, yes i am a nerd. but it is encourage to see a 173 from someone with young child!

Do they generally give $ to part times? Santa Clara also have a 4 yr part time program. Are you planning to take a reduced work schedule for the 4 years of part time law school?

Definitely read the LSAT section here. It points you toward the "good" books and away from the less good. I liked the PR book, for example, but disliked the Barron's. The Powerscore Bibles are essentially mandatory as well.

They certainly do give $$$ to part timers. To the best of my knowledge, they apportion the money in the same fashion as FT. In all honesty, I'm hoping to get somewhere from 75-100% from one of my second tier schools. Chicago-Kent also has an honors scholar program which, for full time, gives a full ride plus a stipend. PT are eligible for it as well, but they don't get the stipend.

I don't expect that I'll be able to work less hours without changing jobs, and my family is reliant on my salary and benefits so that probably won't be happening. I may, however, see about modifying my schedule so as to take some classes in the day time in years 2-4, thus letting me see my family during the week.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Depends.

My unscientifc guess would be that if your cold diagnostic is in the mid 160s you can self-study your way to a 170+ score.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Tutoring may be good for some people but it is not necessary for all people. I don't think tutoring would have done me any good; I got a 175 through self study with the Powerscore books and lots of PrepTests. That's just how I work best and I think tutoring would have been a waste of money, for me.

valleybound

Postby valleybound » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:37 pm

venturing over to the LSAT board to check out the book recommendations! also plan to do a sample test this weekend woohoo excited! happy friday!

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:As I found out myself, if you want to make 150k+ with a coding background, you have to get some management skills on paper.

My husband has recently discovered that truth - he has no desire to enter management but he also won't be able to make much more than he is currently making unless he decides to pursue a management path. Also, as you get older each layoff is harder as your skills are less up to date.

valleybound

Postby valleybound » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 am

i just recalculated my UG GPA (didn't know that my transcript GPA != LSAC GPA) and it's 4.17. then i read from here that Stanford changed their formula and started to count LSAT more. bummer :P

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Fairly certain a 4.17 GPA is not something you can refer to as a "bummer."

valleybound

Postby valleybound » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:50 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Fairly certain a 4.17 GPA is not something you can refer to as a "bummer."

lol.

regarding doing law school part time, i also thought about working reduced hours so that i can attend Santa Clara law which wouldn't be such a financial burden. but you are one brave man to work full time AND do part time law school. i always wonder this too; can we take it slower than 4 years for PT so that one can keep a full time job and study?

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I imagine that would be a case-by-case basis with individual law schools, but my gut instinct would be to say probably not. I know FT can drop down to PT, but I don't know that PT have any real "step down" options. I could certainly be wrong though.

lifeasweknowit

Postby lifeasweknowit » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 am

I can't give you any constructive advice on the lsat or law school. I'm just a first-year in university and I'm reading this site early on so I can get a head start in preparing for law school. However, what caught my eye was the fact that you are from Silicon Valley. I went to elementary school and middle school in South Bay Area and my mother was an engineer there. My father had advanced degrees in a discipline where he basically couldn't get a job other than research, which he did for a decade but his area of focus is kind of limited so, at an older age, he decided to totally switch careers and did an MBA. It was really tough for him because like you, he already had an advanced degree and me to take care of.

He also didn't want to burden my mother so he chose to go to a closer university with little reputation. He always regretted that decision because of the various reputable schools in the area, but what's important is that after over a decade of watching others work, my dad, with an MBA, is teaching in college now. 30s may be a little on the old side for the universities that you are interested in but again, you have a PhD and it wasn't like you just sat there for some years doing nothing and suddenly expect so much out of yourself.

I guess just work hard on your LSAT since that's what it comes down to. I lived 20 minutes from Stanford and from the frequent trips and my dad's part time courses there, I do believe that Stanford will see your PhD as a big plus: also, if you have a great reason tying up your engineering/law together, obviously that will help. You are, after all, living in the epicenter of innovation. Also, I do believe IP law in Santa Clara is really good. Some years ago, I think they were ranked 4th in the nation for IP law.

I regret not being able to offer you anything more substantial than some support and encouragement.
Good luck!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 am

valleybound wrote:
ArghItsBlarg wrote:Fairly certain a 4.17 GPA is not something you can refer to as a "bummer."

lol.

regarding doing law school part time, i also thought about working reduced hours so that i can attend Santa Clara law which wouldn't be such a financial burden. but you are one brave man to work full time AND do part time law school. i always wonder this too; can we take it slower than 4 years for PT so that one can keep a full time job and study?

I looked at the part-time option myself, for Temple. I think they except you to be able to work full-time and finish in 4. Temple had option for part-time students to take day or night classes. I think this varies school to school so explore different ones. You can always go and visit and ask these questions in person. I would just make sure that they give out merit aid to part-timers like full-time students. With your numbers/WE/potential LSAT, you should only be looking at lower ranked school for free...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”