Ben Wallace to attend law school after NBA career.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LAWLAW09

Re: Ben Wallace to attend law school after NBA career.

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
Yale Piano wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:oh racism didn't motivate your post? you just happened to invoke a response involving slavery to one of the few black people on the forum? I hope that admissions committees and the state BAR organizations find your posts so that they can ban you from the profession like the bigot you are

I'm black and didn't immediately think of racism. That said, it's generally not a good idea to talk about buying and selling people... too soon... :wink:

In today's American English vernacularFor many non-blacks that have never really understood or acknowledged their privilege or facts regarding this country's history and present, the expression "buy and sell you" refers to financial superiority, not literally buying and selling people. Capitalaq, or whatever her/his name is, is wildly misinterpreting what was written.

MW

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:In today's American English vernacular, the expression "buy and sell you" refers to financial superiority, not literally buying and selling people. Capitalaq, or whatever her/his name is, is wildly misinterpreting what was written.

MW

Is that super secret white people talk? Because when I hear buy and sell you I think of well, buying and selling people.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 pm

TT09 wrote:Damn. I thought this thread was about Ben Wallace. He's such a swell guy. And an amazing free-throw shooter.

whoah...did this thread just get more controversial? :P jk

TT09

Postby TT09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:

You really need to relax...no one was being racist, so stop throwing around pointless insults.

MW

This.

Seriously, I wanted to talk about Ben freakin' Wallace, okay? That too much to ask? Hell, it's halftime right now in the Pistons-Lakers game and Ben already has 2 points and 4 rebounds. What a stud.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Wow. This went downhill fast.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:In today's American English vernacular, the expression "buy and sell you" refers to financial superiority, not literally buying and selling people. Capitalaq, or whatever her/his name is, is wildly misinterpreting what was written.

MW

Is that super secret white people talk? Because when I hear buy and sell you I think of well, buying and selling people.

+1 i have to agree...and even though MW says he doesnt care about the race of the other poster...i dont think that, in any way, excuses him/her from making offensive comments...whether it was actually MW's intention to be racially offensive or not is a whole separate issue

oh, and uh "lol"

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:You really need to relax...no one was being racist, so stop throwing around pointless insults.

MW

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:

MW

Stop playing dumb. All of you reading this know exactly what I meant.

MW

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:You really need to relax...no one was being racist, so stop throwing around pointless insults.

MW

+1.

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

MW

Stop playing dumb. All of you people :twisted: reading this know exactly what I meant.

MW

yes, my friend. we do.

lol

-URM that got automatic boost!
Last edited by LAWLAW09 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

MW

MW

are you calling me dumb? my initial thought was literally buying and selling capital's kids, sort of. you know, where you're so rich and they're so poor/desperate that you could literally buy them and make them do work for you...so not slavery in the 'normal' sense, but somewhat close.

it was just a really random insult.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPuFG014Gc&feature=fvw

I'm on the whole Ben Wallace thing still (I mean, the thread was about him)...thought I'd share this gem. Enjoy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

MW

MW

Seriously, no. I don't. If you said "own you" I could get that. But buying and selling, hell no. I was just reading today about how big a problem human trafficking is in the world. No buy and sell people means exactly that in my world.

I wouldn't be surprised that it is in YOUR vernacular, which apparently is quite troublesome.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

holy shit, am I gonna get to use this thing twice in one day?

--ImageRemoved--

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

I remember when the Cavs picked up Ben Wallace's $15 million salary back in 2008. That was NOT money well spent.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I remember when the Cavs picked up Ben Wallace's $15 million salary back in 2008. That was NOT money well spent.

that kinda turned out true for a lot of the cav's investments (in the last few yrs haha)

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Wow, MW. Just wow. I can't believe you would just throw around racist insults like that. Capital Q or whatever her name is probably has to deal with this sort of bigotry everyday, you would think TLS would be a safe place she could come to...

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

MW

MW

Seriously, no. I don't. If you said "own you" I could get that. But buying and selling, hell no. I was just reading today about how big a problem human trafficking is in the world. No buy and sell people means exactly that in my world.

I wouldn't be surprised that it is in YOUR vernacular, which apparently is quite troublesome.

"My" vernacular is the colloquial standards of American English. If you don't know that the expression "buy and sell you" is used to indicate financial superiority/financial power, I don't know what to tell you.

MW

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:10 pm

naterj wrote:Wow, MW. Just wow. I can't believe you would just throw around racist insults like that. Capital Q or whatever her name is probably has to deal with this sort of bigotry everyday, you would think TLS would be a safe place she could come to...

...<groans>...

Okay...I apologize if my comments were interpreted as racially offensive. They were not intended as such at all. Are you happy now?

MW

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:that kinda turned out true for a lot of the cav's investments (in the last few yrs haha)

Yep I seriously considerer writing an "overcoming adversity" PS about my life as a Cleveland sports fan. There's plenty of material to draw from.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

MW

Stop playing dumb. All of you people :twisted: reading this know exactly what I meant.

MW

yes, my friend. we do.

lol

-URM that got automatic boost!

I didn't say "you people"- stop making stuff up.

MW

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

You say American English Vernacular...we say prison-industrial-complex-bought-and-sold.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/us/28 ... boot_camps

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

CapHillLove wrote:15 years of work experience.... Northwestern.

This, or Alabama.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:"My" vernacular is the colloquial standards of American English. If you don't know that the expression "buy and sell you" is used to indicate financial superiority/financial power, I don't know what to tell you.

MW

link pl0x

tbf, i dont think you meant to be racist at all in your original insult. your responses, however, were worse than that post (not racially worse, just worse in general).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:"My" vernacular is the colloquial standards of American English. If you don't know that the expression "buy and sell you" is used to indicate financial superiority/financial power, I don't know what to tell you.

MW

Wow you are just a parade of hits. You called me dumb, non-American and apparently I don't understand English.

Have you ever wondered WHY "buy and sell you" came to indicate financial power? Maybe because when your American English standards were formed only the rich can buy and sell people? Who were being bought and sold?

So when you graduate from LS and starting making big money, can I come over to your house and congratulate you on making it to the status of a "well-to-do slave owner" since you are now able to "buy and sell people"?

Would that work for you?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”