Stanford-specific ev+letter...LSAC is confusing me

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
padthai

Stanford-specific ev+letter...LSAC is confusing me

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:37 pm

So I just called LSAC, but they confused me even more. Please help TLSers!

I am having 2 professors send Stanford-specific letters and evaluations. How will the processed letters appear on my LSAC webpage? Will it be really obvious that the letters are specifically for Stanford, and not the general ones?
I'm afraid I might accidentally send in my general letters, instead.

Also, I attached the signed LSAC form to each of my general recommendation letters, but forgot to attach it to one of my Stanford-specific letters (L2)! The same 2 professors wrote both my general and Stanford letters. Is there need to send in another copy of my LSAC form, or does the general LSAC form suffice?

Thank you!!!!!

s0ph1e2007

Re: Stanford-specific ev+letter...LSAC is confusing me

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm

padthai wrote:So I just called LSAC, but they confused me even more. Please help TLSers!

I am having 2 professors send Stanford-specific letters and evaluations. How will the processed letters appear on my LSAC webpage? Will it be really obvious that the letters are specifically for Stanford, and not the general ones?

Also, I attached the signed LSAC form to each of my general recommendation letters, but forgot to attach it to one of my Stanford-specific letters (L2)! The same 2 professors wrote both my general and Stanford letters. Is there need to send in another copy of my LSAC form, or does the general LSAC form suffice?

Thank you!!!!!

well they should have filled out the stanford specific rec form and the LSAC form and the LSAC form should be labeled stanford. Then it will come up as "Stanford" under their recommendations

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:26 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
padthai wrote:So I just called LSAC, but they confused me even more. Please help TLSers!

Thank you!!!!!

well they should have filled out the stanford specific rec form and the LSAC form and the LSAC form should be labeled stanford. Then it will come up as "Stanford" under their recommendations

Hi, thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "the LSAC form should be labeled stanford"? Am I supposed to create a new recommender/evaluator profile with ID specific to Stanford, even if I already have a profile for that professor?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 pm

You need a separate LSAC form for the general letter and Stanford letter. (You can create different forms for one recommender. I labeled the general one "for all law schools" and Stanford one "for Stanford law school"). You can't have just one for the general letter and Stanford letter. So each professor should send in the general letter with the LSAC form for the general letter and the Stanford letter with the Stanford evaluation and Stanford LSAC form. On-line it will show the letters were received, but you cannot check and makes sure the right form was attached to the letter.

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:40 pm

sarahh wrote:You need a separate LSAC form for the general letter and Stanford letter. (You can create different forms for one recommender. I labeled the general one "for all law schools" and Stanford one "for Stanford law school"). You can't have just one for the general letter and Stanford letter. So each professor should send in the general letter with the LSAC form for the general letter and the Stanford letter with the Stanford evaluation and Stanford LSAC form. On-line it will show the letters were received, but you cannot check and makes sure the right form was attached to the letter.

Thank you so much! It's all clear now. I was stupid and didn't realize I had to make a separate profile for the Stanford letter.

If one of my professors sent in her Stanford-specific letter over 2 weeks ago, has LSAC been holding onto it, waiting for me to add an additional profile for this letter? They should have Form C and the letter, but I didn't send in the LSAC form with my signature. I'm planning on faxing it over immediately.

Do you think they will put everything together upon receiving my fax, or do you think I have to get my recommender to send another copy of everything, WITH the LSAC form included.

Again, thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 pm

I am not sure. I would have the professor resend everything together.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:48 pm

padthai wrote:Thank you so much! It's all clear now. I was stupid and didn't realize I had to make a separate profile for the Stanford letter.

If one of my professors sent in her Stanford-specific letter over 2 weeks ago, has LSAC been holding onto it, waiting for me to add an additional profile for this letter? They should have Form C and the letter, but I didn't send in the LSAC form with my signature. I'm planning on faxing it over immediately.

Do you think they will put everything together upon receiving my fax, or do you think I have to get my recommender to send another copy of everything, WITH the LSAC form included.

I'm almost positive that they will not process a letter that is received without the form attached. Without the form they do not know what professor/profile the letter goes with and so they cannot put it on your account. Your professor is going to have to send another copy, this time with the form attached. The form you give them should be the one that says "For Stanford" or something of the sort on it. Or else there is no way you will know which letter is which once they are on the LSAC site (the actual letter does not show up on LSAC).

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:05 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
padthai wrote:Thank you so much! It's all clear now. I was stupid and didn't realize I had to make a separate profile for the Stanford letter.

I'm almost positive that they will not process a letter that is received without the form attached. Without the form they do not know what professor/profile the letter goes with and so they cannot put it on your account. Your professor is going to have to send another copy, this time with the form attached. The form you give them should be the one that says "For Stanford" or something of the sort on it. Or else there is no way you will know which letter is which once they are on the LSAC site (the actual letter does not show up on LSAC).

That's exactly what I thought! But I called LSAC a couple of hours ago and the lady said I could fax the LSAC form in separately. Maybe she misunderstood my question...

The Stanford Form that was attached to the letter had my name and LSAC# on it. The letter and envelope should've had my professor's name and address on them. Hopefully, LSAC put 2 and 2 together and kept the eval+letter in my folder! My other professor hasn't sent in his Stanford-specific letter yet, so these 2 forms should be the only documents floating around under my profile.

Gonna send in my LSAC form by fax tomorrow morning and call LSAC again. If it doesn't get accepted, I'm gonna have to ask my professor to send in her rec again...sigh.

Thanks all. You completely cleared things up for me :)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:06 pm

padthai wrote:That's exactly what I thought! But I called LSAC a couple of hours ago and the lady said I could fax the LSAC form in separately. Maybe she misunderstood my question...

The Stanford Form that was attached to the letter had my name and LSAC# on it. The letter and envelope should've had my professor's name and address on them. Hopefully, LSAC put 2 and 2 together and kept the eval+letter in my folder! My other professor hasn't sent in his Stanford-specific letter yet, so these 2 forms should be the only documents floating around under my profile.

Gonna send in my LSAC form by fax tomorrow morning and call LSAC again. If it doesn't get accepted, I'm gonna have to ask my professor to send in her rec again...sigh.

I would recommend having your professor send in the Stanford letter with the correct paperwork attached so as to avoid Stanford getting the wrong letter. But that's just me.

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:09 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
padthai wrote:That's exactly what I thought! But I called LSAC a couple of hours ago and the lady said I could fax the LSAC form in separately. Maybe she misunderstood my question...

I would recommend having your professor send in the Stanford letter with the correct paperwork attached so as to avoid Stanford getting the wrong letter. But that's just me.

The thing is though...unless my recommender made a back-up copy of her Stanford Form, she's gonna have to write everything out again. She is a busy lady so i'm afraid she'll get slightly ticked and reflect it in her new evaluation..Do professors usually make back-up copies of their hand-written documents?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:13 pm

padthai wrote:The thing is though...unless my recommender made a back-up copy of her Stanford Form, she's gonna have to write everything out again. She is a busy lady so i'm afraid she'll get slightly ticked and reflect it in her new evaluation..Do professors usually make back-up copies of their hand-written documents?

Ah I see. I doubt she would have made a copy of her hand-written form. Does the Stanford form have to go with the letter? Because the form I was talking about was the LSAC form. So if the Stanford form doesn't have to go with it she can just send the LOR and LSAC form together and they will already have your Stanford form. Not sure if that would work.

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
padthai wrote:The thing is though...unless my recommender made a back-up copy of her Stanford Form, she's gonna have to write everything out again. She is a busy lady so i'm afraid she'll get slightly ticked and reflect it in her new evaluation..Do professors usually make back-up copies of their hand-written documents?

Ah I see. I doubt she would have made a copy of her hand-written form. Does the Stanford form have to go with the letter? Because the form I was talking about was the LSAC form. So if the Stanford form doesn't have to go with it she can just send the LOR and LSAC form together and they will already have your Stanford form. Not sure if that would work.

Ohhh interesting. That might be a smart way of going about it. No, I think the LSAC form is only for the Stanford letter. The Stanford evaluation has a separate waiver signature part at the top.

But even with this method, there's a possibility of my evaluation getting left out of the file. So, this is my plan of attack:
- Fax LSAC form tomorrow morning and call to confirm it's been received and that it can be put together with my form+eval
- Call again two hours later and ask for confirmation again...
- And again, two hours later for another confirmation..
* Note: reason for this is that I'll prob get different people answering the phone each time, so there'll be a number of people checking my file for me. If I hear the same voice on the line- hang up or ask another question.
- If the lone LSAC form isn't accepted, I'll ask my prof to send in her rec+LSAC form again and I'll request LSAC to combine the docs with my evaluation.

Phew~thanks for your help LSpleaseee.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:42 pm

padthai wrote:Ohhh interesting. That might be a smart way of going about it. No, I think the LSAC form is only for the Stanford letter. The Stanford evaluation has a separate waiver signature part at the top.

But even with this method, there's a possibility of my evaluation getting left out of the file. So, this is my plan of attack:
- Fax LSAC form tomorrow morning and call to confirm it's been received and that it can be put together with my form+eval
- Call again two hours later and ask for confirmation again...
- And again, two hours later for another confirmation..
* Note: reason for this is that I'll prob get different people answering the phone each time, so there'll be a number of people checking my file for me. If I hear the same voice on the line- hang up or ask another question.
- If the lone LSAC form isn't accepted, I'll ask my prof to send in her rec+LSAC form again and I'll request LSAC to combine the docs with my evaluation.

Phew~thanks for your help LSpleaseee.

Sounds like a good plan. No problem and good luck! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”