How much time from "With admissions committe" to decision?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrisbru

How much time from "With admissions committe" to decision?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Hey TLS,

I am (obviously) very antsy waiting for all my schools to decide. My DePaul app went "In Review" on Nov 12, and my St. Thomas (MN) app went "with admissions committee" today, 11/17. How long do you think it will be until I receive a decision? Are decisions sent via email or snail mail? Do scholarship offers typically come with acceptance letter?

My stats are Iowa State Finance Major, 2.94 GPA, 171 LSAT, 1 year WE, and pretty good GPA addendum (my mom spent a lot of time in the hospital my junior year battling cancer, so I spent a ton of time going back home to be with her and help out with my little brother).

HopefulFish

Re: How much time from "With admissions committe" to decision?

Postby HopefulFish » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 pm

your chances look great, considering the content of your addendum. Honestly. I think you should apply to a lot of other schools, including some T14s. Honestly.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:46 pm

You need to apply to some better schools University of Illinois for one would be good, even Northwestern.

If you are only shooting for that reagion. University of Iowa is also good.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:08 pm

I definitely applied to U Minn, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. These two are my backup... But also the first to become "in review." I'm just antsy to find out that I'm admitted to ONE of my schools, and then I can relax.

Thanks for the advice though. I thought about applying to Northwestern (the only t14 in the region I want to attend in that I have even a remote shot at), but paying $112 for a rejection letter is pretty silly. Plus, I'm trying to avoid going anywhere at sticker price... At the very least, I can get instate tuition at U of Iowa.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Northwestern sticker is a better decision that UIowa or Illinois or any other school you listed with only 10k-15k a year in scholarships (which is very likely the max you could end up getting with your GPA). Put in the extra 100 dollars dude... Or request a fee waiver. Either way, apply to Northwestern.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 pm

^^ +1. You really should put your app in at NU; it would be WELL worth your $100.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I wholeheartedly disagree. It is VERY unlikely I will be admitted there. And, even if I was admitted, University of Iowa (in-state tuition) with no scholarships is $25k cheaper a year after taking cost of living into consideration. Considering I HATE Chicago, and have no desire to practice anywhere except Des Moines or Minneapolis, it makes zero sense to take on an additional $75k in loans to go to NU.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Did anyone answer the question of how long it takes to go from under review to a decision?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:34 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Did anyone answer the question of how long it takes to go from under review to a decision?

Unfortunately, no.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

How long do you think it will be until I receive a decision? Are decisions sent via email or snail mail? Do scholarship offers typically come with acceptance letter?

i'll try to help w/ answering questions OP posted.

how long? depends on school. probably 3-5 weeks. check the e-mails the schools have sent you; if they haven't, check their admissions sites, maybe FAQs.

decisions via e-mail or snail mail? my guess: first place to get indication will be status checker. then maybe a phone call if they really want you. then maybe e-mail then snail mail.

scholly: no idea.

hth.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:Hey TLS,

I am (obviously) very antsy waiting for all my schools to decide. My DePaul app went "In Review" on Nov 12, and my St. Thomas (MN) app went "with admissions committee" today, 11/17. How long do you think it will be until I receive a decision? Are decisions sent via email or snail mail? Do scholarship offers typically come with acceptance letter?

My stats are Iowa State Finance Major, 2.94 GPA, 171 LSAT, 1 year WE, and pretty good GPA addendum (my mom spent a lot of time in the hospital my junior year battling cancer, so I spent a ton of time going back home to be with her and help out with my little brother).

In general, it takes roughly 2-3 months to hear back. For auto rejects, it's 2-3 weeks. Scholarship is usually offered with the acceptance, but sometimes they notify you later if you ask for some. The method of delivering the decision is described on the school's website or the email confirmation of your application. You should read them. They each contain the answers to all the question you asked.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Did anyone answer the question of how long it takes to go from under review to a decision?

It varies widely by school to school, so there is no one size-fit-all answer. Check out dulcatis's excel sheets or the decision date charts for the T14. I've been UR @ UChicago since September. :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”