Is this true about the recommendation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
atkpl

Is this true about the recommendation?

Postby atkpl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:51 am

My major is business.

I got one from my marketing professor whom I worked for as a TA

I got another one from my Japanese professor who loves me, and I took her class for two semesters (High level Japanese classes).

I got the letter from Japanese professor because I honestly believe she knows me better than any of my business professors.

But so many people are saying that I was being stupid not to get both of the letters from business professor.

They are saying that law schools won't really appreciate the one from my Japanese professor.

Is this true? I personally think it is not, but I have to admit I am kinda worried.

SilverE2

Re: Is this true about the recommendation?

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 am

You're fine. Recommendations don't matter, just another hoop to jump through.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 am

Yeah, you're good dude/dudette. Rec letters are just to make sure that not everyone hates you.

MW

gloriouscause

Postby gloriouscause » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:25 am

First of all, always get letters from professors who know you best. It's better to get a letter from a professor outside of your major who says glowing things about you than one from inside your major who just says you're pretty cool.

Also, they're only another hoop to jump through if they aren't amazing. If you get ridiculously good ones I'm sure they'll help, particularly at certain schools that seem to look at them more heavily than others.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:02 am

atkpl wrote:My major is business.

I got another one from my Japanese professor who loves me, and I took her class for two semesters (High level Japanese classes).

I got the letter from Japanese professor because I honestly believe she knows me better than any of my business professors.

But so many people are saying that I was being stupid not to get both of the letters from business professor.

They are saying that law schools won't really appreciate the one from my Japanese professor.

Is this true? I personally think it is not, but I have to admit I am kinda worried.

This might look bad, since many top schools explicitly state that they want letter writers to be faculty who have taught you.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 am

im_blue wrote:

This might look bad, since many top schools explicitly state that they want letter writers to be faculty who have taught you.

i think he said he was his marketing prof

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:36 am

the subject doesn't matter at all. The only concern w/ foreign language professors is if they can write good letters in English.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”