Where should my application floor be?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pereira6

Where should my application floor be?

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:47 am

Hey everyone, simple question really. I thought it was more appropriate here than the "what are my chances" area because it's primarily a question on where to apply.

3.85/170, B.A./M.A. in Economics. No WE.

I'm thinking that I should have a few schools in my application bundle that are more likely to throw the kitchen sink at me with scholarships. I was originally planning on applying to 13 of the top 18 schools (no HYS, NW, or Cornell), and stop there. However, with the ever-raising medians, who knows where my numbers will fit in, say, UCLA's scholarship consideration range.

Should I apply to some schools that are perhaps very willing to give me lots of money? Like maybe Boston U? Indiana? Georgia? Or should I just go to a T18 regardless? I was thinking maybe the scholarships would be marginally useful in leveraging with higher schools...but that's probably wrong.

Fire away please! I'm just nervous that after my cycle I'll have zero schools of any marginal quality that went "here's some serious cash, yo"...only a few schools that said "here's a few bucks. Don't spend it all in one place".

whymeohgodno

Re: Where should my application floor be?

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:49 am

I doubt scholarship money below the t17 will be useful in leveraging money at t14 schools since they probably don't consider them as peer schools.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:58 am

whymeohgodno wrote:I doubt scholarship money below the t17 will be useful in leveraging money at t14 schools since they probably don't consider them as peer schools.

Yeah, figured as much. Should I try to get some more schools in my bundle with top scholarship chances for any reason?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

pereira6 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:I doubt scholarship money below the t17 will be useful in leveraging money at t14 schools since they probably don't consider them as peer schools.

Yeah, figured as much. Should I try to get some more schools in my bundle with top scholarship chances for any reason?

If you think you might attend them. I mean it really doesn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. It's only $80.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
If you think you might attend them. I mean it really doesn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. It's only $80.

So, if they come with fee waivers, then 12 dollars is certainly almost a no-brainer.

I think part of my apprehension is that I really can't stop and go work if I an unhappy with my app cycle, so I think I want more safety (read: $$$) schools. Unless TLS says "just eff it, dude. You'll get good money at the lower T18 at least"

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:12 am

Would you attend a non-T14, say UCLA, given enough scholarship money? If not, then there's no point to applying outside the T14 with your numbers.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:26 am

im_blue wrote:Would you attend a non-T14, say UCLA, given enough scholarship money? If not, then there's no point to applying outside the T14 with your numbers.

I use "T18" because I do like UCLA/Texas/Vbilt/USC, and therefore would strongly consider attending with significant cash. However, my question is more for beyond those schools. I feel like I shouldn't have zero schools that give me a great scholarship at the end of my cycle in case things go bad for the T18 schollies.

If all those T18 tell me to pay sticker or close to it, and lets say Fordham throws me the kitchen sink, would that be a tough decision? I think it would be...

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 am

pereira6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Would you attend a non-T14, say UCLA, given enough scholarship money? If not, then there's no point to applying outside the T14 with your numbers.

I use "T18" because I do like UCLA/Texas/Vbilt/USC, and therefore would strongly consider attending with significant cash. However, my question is more for beyond those schools. I feel like I shouldn't have zero schools that give me a great scholarship at the end of my cycle in case things go bad for the T18 schollies.

If all those T18 tell me to pay sticker or close to it, and lets say Fordham throws me the kitchen sink, would that be a tough decision? I think it would be...

Fordham is stingy. You will probably get $$$ from Vandy anyways since they are pretty generous.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 am

pereira6 wrote:

No you could get T14 (probably no money) and those are worth much more then Fordham full ride.

You have numbers that couldn get you CCN, but might not. You will have an interesting cycle. Whats your dream school (outside HYS)

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
No you could get T14 (probably no money) and those are worth much more then Fordham full ride.

You have numbers that couldn get you CCN, but might not. You will have an interesting cycle. Whats your dream school (outside HYS)

Gawd, "interesting cycle" scares the crap out of me haha. I think that's going to be more than accurate because I'm only in my third year out of high school, and I won't be turning 20 for another week. I have images of all adcoms seeing the "1990" on my birthday and just throwing big ol' WAITLIST stamp on it.

I don't have a dream school, per se, just a dream scenario. NYU or Columbia would be unreal, especially considering I want to work in NYC Biglaw (in order to transition into the corporate sports world later). However, my dream is to get great money at Michigan or Duke. Which I thought was a great possibility, and then I saw the progressive raised medians :|

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:49 am

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:59 am

where do you want to practice and live? If you have a specific region in mind, find the best school there that you havent applied to allready, and send you application that way.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:30 pm

pereira6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Gawd, "interesting cycle" scares the crap out of me haha. I think that's going to be more than accurate because I'm only in my third year out of high school, and I won't be turning 20 for another week. I have images of all adcoms seeing the "1990" on my birthday and just throwing big ol' WAITLIST stamp on it.

I don't have a dream school, per se, just a dream scenario. NYU or Columbia would be unreal, especially considering I want to work in NYC Biglaw (in order to transition into the corporate sports world later). However, my dream is to get great money at Michigan or Duke. Which I thought was a great possibility, and then I saw the progressive raised medians :|

Hmmm i mean you have a shot at michigan, but i dont think you are really in the running for much money. Your best shot at NYU would be to ED (but if accepted you wont know about Mich or Duke) and columbia is always a crapshoot with your numbers

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 pm

pereira6 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Hmmm i mean you have a shot at michigan, but i dont think you are really in the running for much money. Your best shot at NYU would be to ED (but if accepted you wont know about Mich or Duke) and columbia is always a crapshoot with your numbers

He should be in at Mich. Above/above. He will probably get some $ also.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Should have been around when I was asking if I should ED to NYU.

But as I mentioned, this isn't a "what are my chances" question. This is a "should I apply to lower schools that are very likely to throw me huge scholarship money just to expand my options, or will the schools 15-18 throw me great money?"

I'm confident I can get in Michigan. The acceptance letter isn't what I want. It's the money that would be a dream and would cause me to go there in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if any school in my application bundle is worth sticker for me (including CCN; 200k is no effin joke), but I haven't decided that totally yet.

Thinking of applying to Boston U, Boston College, and Florida. Waste of time? How many of these "safety-money" schools should I apply to?

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Being that you are so young, I see absolutely no reason to apply below the T14. If you don't get in this year, work for a year and keep trying. In fact, I would strongly advise you to consider waiting a year regardless of where you get in. You might get into schools, but you also may be discriminated against in hiring (especially if you look your age). The people I knew at GULC who were significantly younger than the average law student had a very hard time in their job search.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm

pereira6 wrote:

Should have been around when I was asking if I should ED to NYU.

But as I mentioned, this isn't a "what are my chances" question. This is a "should I apply to lower schools that are very likely to throw me huge scholarship money just to expand my options, or will the schools 15-18 throw me great money?"

I'm confident I can get in Michigan. The acceptance letter isn't what I want. It's the money that would be a dream and would cause me to go there in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if any school in my application bundle is worth sticker for me (including CCN; 200k is no effin joke), but I haven't decided that totally yet.

Thinking of applying to Boston U, Boston College, and Florida. Waste of time? How many of these "safety-money" schools should I apply to?

Waste of time.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 pm

nealric wrote:
Being that you are so young, I see absolutely no reason to apply below the T14. If you don't get in this year, work for a year and keep trying. In fact, I would strongly advise you to consider waiting a year regardless of where you get in. You might get into schools, but you also may be discriminated against in hiring (especially if you look your age). The people I knew at GULC who were significantly younger than the average law student had a very hard time in their job search.

I know this is the first thing people suggest to me, but my personal situation does not give me the option of working before law school. Thanks though!

whymeohgodno wrote:
Waste of time.

Can I get a +1 from somebody on this?

mlaw612

Postby mlaw612 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 pm

If you are trying to decide between going to a lower ranked school with $$$, or a higher ranked school with little/no scholarship, I think it is a VERY easy decision.

People are trying to get their money back from Boston college...why would you think about going there?

Unless you have a job in the bag, or don't care about money, or getting a legal job after school doesn't matter to you- the long term benefits of going to a higher ranked, more recognized school at full price is a FAR better investment than a lower school with a little cash. Your earning potential from the two categories are not even close.

Think of it this way:

Top school: some debt, but job prospects, and job prospects that will have you earning upwards of $200,000/year by your third year out.

lower school: little/no debt, but few job prospects, and job prospects that will be in a specific region, and without the income potential.

I'd say going to a lower school for money is a REALLY REALLY short sighted choice. Having been in that position myself, and chosen to go to higher school with less money- I am way way better off than my friends that took a full ride to Boston or Texas, who are currently unemployed.....

in short- waste of time.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:59 pm

lol at earning 200k 3 years after graduation.

Thats a nice dream, but its not going to happen. If you are pulling for this, you are in for a rude awakening

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 pm

mlaw612 wrote:If you are trying to decide between going to a lower ranked school with $$$, or a higher ranked school with little/no scholarship, I think it is a VERY easy decision.

Think of it this way:

Top school: some debt, but job prospects, and job prospects that will have you earning upwards of $200,000/year by your third year out.

lower school: little/no debt, but few job prospects, and job prospects that will be in a specific region, and without the income potential.

in short- waste of time.

Your use of the term "some debt" to describe 200k+ of debt really makes me think you don't have any clue what a dollar is. I'm a 0L AND an admittedly mostly uninformed law school applicant and even I know your mindset is just a liiiiiittle bit off (read: a lot off). [edited]

Weird question, I know, but I'm not making a decision yet on where to go to school. I just feel like if I end up with no scholarship options from any schools, I'm screwed.
Last edited by pereira6 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:41 am

northwood wrote:lol at earning 200k 3 years after graduation.

Thats a nice dream, but its not going to happen. If you are pulling for this, you are in for a rude awakening

How so? biglaw firms pay about 200 a year after 3 years.... and in 4 years im guessing market will be closer to 190,000 starting.

Edit: just looked at your profile, yes 200K after three years will not be happening from any schools you are applying to (if info is accurate) because biglaw is not looking like a big option. OP is going to be in at many T14 which do place well in biglaw and does pay that kind of money as long as he gets good grades and can interview okay

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:46 am

How so? biglaw firms pay about 200 a year after 3 years.... and in 4 years im guessing market will be closer to 190,000 starting.

Edit: just looked at your profile, yes 200K after three years will not be happening from any schools you are applying to (if info is accurate) because biglaw is not looking like a big option. OP is going to be in at many T14 which do place well in biglaw and does pay that kind of money as long as he gets good grades and can interview okay

Biglaw does not pay 200k a year after 3 years on average. IDK where you got those numbers from.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:51 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

Biglaw does not pay 200k a year after 3 years on average. IDK where you got those numbers from.

During your 4th year the lock step salary is usually AROUND (aka: close to) 200,000. In 4 years it will be more then that.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 am

Including bonus, that's about right for market biglaw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”