Are "Why X" essays necessary? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wombie

New

Are "Why X" essays necessary?

Post by wombie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am

So I know that it may be a good idea to submit a why x essay for obvious reasons, but I'm just wondering if it's really crucial? I'm applying to a lot of schools while taking classes and I don't think I'll have time to write essays for all schools. Will this negatively affect my chances of getting in?

HowdyYall

Bronze

Re: Are "Why X" essays necessary?

Post by HowdyYall » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 am

I wouldnt worry too much about them unless youre worried about YP bc of your high numbers. Looking back i wish i wouldnt have written the ones i did because I found a couple of grammar and spelling errors and they're kindof blllaahhhh

wombie

New

Post by wombie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 am

HowdyYall wrote:I wouldnt worry too much about them unless youre worried about YP bc of your high numbers. Looking back i wish i wouldnt have written the ones i did because I found a couple of grammar and spelling errors and they're kindof blllaahhhh
Yeah, I'm kind of worried about that too.. I'm getting so sick of filling out apps and Im scared I'll just make stupid mistakes... Thanks!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 am

The real question is are they sufficient?

wombie

New

Post by wombie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

whymeohgodno wrote:The real question is are they sufficient?
whymeohgodno wrote:The real question is are they sufficient?
Lol, definitely not

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 am

I wrote them as part of my PSs...I wrote school specific PSs.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:01 am

Again, I am not sure they are necessary or sufficient (for us philosophy majors haha)...however, I think its a decent touch and a way to leave an OK impression at the end of my PS.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 am

I think Why X's are only good when you have a good reason to write one. I mean for most schools that I applied to it was because they are highly ranked and have good career prospects. I only had 2 schools that I had other reasons to apply to and only one asked for a why x statement. Instead of making up reasons, come up with a good diversity statement.

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 am

AreJay711 wrote: Instead of making up reasons, come up with a good diversity statement.
Trying to do this, but this is also hard. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wombie

New

Post by wombie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:26 am

AreJay711 wrote:I think Why X's are only good when you have a good reason to write one. I mean for most schools that I applied to it was because they are highly ranked and have good career prospects. I only had 2 schools that I had other reasons to apply to and only one asked for a why x statement. Instead of making up reasons, come up with a good diversity statement.

Wait, why should I write a diversity statement? Because I'm international? I haven't written one since I'm not URM and I've been studying in the US since 11th grade.. (though my family still lives in my home country)?

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 am

wombie wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I think Why X's are only good when you have a good reason to write one. I mean for most schools that I applied to it was because they are highly ranked and have good career prospects. I only had 2 schools that I had other reasons to apply to and only one asked for a why x statement. Instead of making up reasons, come up with a good diversity statement.

Wait, why should I write a diversity statement? Because I'm international? I haven't written one since I'm not URM and I've been studying in the US since 11th grade.. (though my family still lives in my home country)?
Wow we are so similar. I'm STILL debating whether I should write a DS. Basically in the same situation as you.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:33 am

wombie wrote:

You can write a diversity statement about whatever makes you diverse or whatever unique experiences you have. Everyone can come up with something to write about and it might set you apart from someone else that doesn't specify what intangibles they can bring to their class.

Spinozist21

Silver

Post by Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 am

AreJay711 wrote:
wombie wrote:

You can write a diversity statement about whatever makes you diverse or whatever unique experiences you have. Everyone can come up with something to write about and it might set you apart from someone else that doesn't specify what intangibles they can bring to their class.
I guess i conceive of my PS differently than most...I conceive as my PS doing both what you are saying, plus saying why law, and plus saying why school x.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teflon1974

New

Post by Teflon1974 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:56 am

Spinozist21 wrote:I wrote them as part of my PSs...I wrote school specific PSs.
I did too...sort of. I had a core section of my PS, then devoted the last few paragraphs to a tie-in to that specific school, and usually a specific specialization within the program.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:42 am

agreed (with exception to last sentence).

If you've got a compelling reason, go ahead and write it (if the school accepts it). If not, don't worry- they don't really matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”