Letters of recommendation question and diversity question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Letters of recommendation question and diversity question

Postby notaznguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:21 am

Letters of Recommendation.

I'm going to be applying to law school directly from undergrad next year. Naturally, I would want to get letters from professors. However, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to get a letter from my professor...who isn't a professor? Well she is a professor in the sense that she taught the class for the quarter, but she is not a professor in the sense that she is still working on her phD. Would a letter from this "instructor/professor" be acceptable?

Also, I'm actually not very familiar with the process of submitting letters of recommendation. Am I suppose to ask her to physically write a letter and ask her to sign with her signature? If so, how am I suppose to submit it online with LSDAS? Sorry, I'm quite a newbie at this and all. Another reason I ask this is because my professor is currently in Germany I don't think she'll be returning to the U.S. until after I graduate =\

Diversity Question

I was reading USC (Southern California) that we can submit a supplement that talks about if an applicant grew up in an economically disadvantaged background. If I were to mention things in my life such as: 1) my father was a Vietnam War refugee who only came to the U.S. via a church sponsor, 2) As a result my parents weren't very educated and I grew up in a poor community (Think Oakland or Compton type of environment with lots of gangs), 3) My dad had cancer since I was in 5th grade and we used all monetary resources on his health, which contributed to our poverty. Now these things are all true, and if I were to add this in a supplement, do you think it would affect or help significantly my chances of admission, assuming my GPA and LSAT score are within the median of the school I'm applying to? (In this case, USC). I don't know my LSAT score ATM as I haven't taken it yet, but my current GPA is 3.57, which falls a bit short of their median of 3.64.

im_blue

Re: Letters of recommendation question and diversity question

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 am

Instructors/lecturers are fine for LOR writers. Basically, you ask her to write a letter and sign it, then mail or fax it to LSAC along with the cover sheet provided in your LSAC account with your signature for waiver of access.

capitalacq

Re: Letters of recommendation question and diversity question

Postby capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 am

notaznguy wrote:Letters of Recommendation.

I'm going to be applying to law school directly from undergrad next year. Naturally, I would want to get letters from professors. However, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to get a letter from my professor...who isn't a professor? Well she is a professor in the sense that she taught the class for the quarter, but she is not a professor in the sense that she is still working on her phD. Would a letter from this "instructor/professor" be acceptable?

Also, I'm actually not very familiar with the process of submitting letters of recommendation. Am I suppose to ask her to physically write a letter and ask her to sign with her signature? If so, how am I suppose to submit it online with LSDAS? Sorry, I'm quite a newbie at this and all. Another reason I ask this is because my professor is currently in Germany I don't think she'll be returning to the U.S. until after I graduate =\

Diversity Question

I was reading USC (Southern California) that we can submit a supplement that talks about if an applicant grew up in an economically disadvantaged background. If I were to mention things in my life such as: 1) my father was a Vietnam War refugee who only came to the U.S. via a church sponsor, 2) As a result my parents weren't very educated and I grew up in a poor community (Think Oakland or Compton type of environment with lots of gangs), 3) My dad had cancer since I was in 5th grade and we used all monetary resources on his health, which contributed to our poverty. Now these things are all true, and if I were to add this in a supplement, do you think it would affect or help significantly my chances of admission, assuming my GPA and LSAT score are within the median of the school I'm applying to? (In this case, USC). I don't know my LSAT score ATM as I haven't taken it yet, but my current GPA is 3.57, which falls a bit short of their median of 3.64.

The best LORs are from those who taught your classes who know you well. If the instructor/PhD candidate knows you better than a full professor does, then it's fine to get the LOR from her. Just google LSAC LOR for the details on submitting a letter. They do need to submit physical letters- you can just fill out & sign the cover sheet, scan it to a PDF, email it, and have the instructor attach that to the actual letter and mail it in

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”