Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DoctorNo

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby DoctorNo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Does anyone think that not completing my MD will be looked upon poorly by AdComs?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:30 pm

DoctorNo wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:FWIW I met an alum of my school who quit a prestigious medical job (head of a surgery dept. I think) to go to law school because he missed thinking. He said he loves being a lawyer because it's a different intellectual challenge every day. So you might not be nuts.

This is worth a lot to me, thanks!

Also, law students have a habit of worshiping people who have anything to do with a medical school. So, at least for three years, you get to be King of the.....somethings!

ctxmike

Postby ctxmike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Where do you go to medical school? I know Baylor Medical School has a joint JD/MD program with the University of Houston Law Center. Ask if your school has any similar programs.

My advice: Do the above, if you can. If not, then take the LSAT. Apply. If you get into a T10, preferably a T6 and you're absolutely certain you want to, then do it, considering how money isn't an option.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:People basically go to law school if:

1) They have useless UG degrees, or
2) Couldn't get into a reasonable Med School or Business School.

Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder.

Honestly, how dare you denigrate the profession on a forum dedicated to it? And everyone else that jumped on the law-bashing, medicine-praising band wagon, you're a significant part of the reason why a sizeable part of the American public considers attorneys as immoral, vile gold-diggers. If you don't have any dedication to the legal discipline, at least have the god damn respect not to spit on it, especially if it's going to be your bread and butter in years to come.

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:

Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder. Honestly, how dare you denigrate the profession on a forum dedicated to it? And everyone else that jumped on the law-bashing, medicine-praising band wagon, you're a significant part of the reason why a sizeable part of the American public considers attorneys as immoral, vile gold-diggers. If you don't have any dedication to the legal discipline, at least have the god damn respect not to spit on it, especially if it's going to be your bread and butter in years to come.

MW

Hahahahahah

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 pm

DoctorNo wrote:Does anyone think that not completing my MD will be looked upon poorly by AdComs?

yes. but more importantly, employers will. finish your degree, turn that negative into a super super marketable positive.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 pm

canuck wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:FWIW I met an alum of my school who quit a prestigious medical job (head of a surgery dept. I think) to go to law school because he missed thinking. He said he loves being a lawyer because it's a different intellectual challenge every day. So you might not be nuts.

Boom

lol, i dont know if everyone here is slamming OP, saying he shouldnt EVER leave med school for lawl school. and speaking of the realities of law school doesnt mean you're bashing it either. it really depends on the context, and it is all relative.

my misgivings, if i were the OP, would be that 1) he has no LSAT and no idea WHICH law school he'd get into -- regardless of his current situation of being a med student, i would NOT recommend law school to MOST ppl who would not get the job they want by going to the school they'd get into...i mean, if you have all the money in the world or REALLY want to be a lawyer, come hell or high water, then you'll be in the small minority who maybe should go regardless of the debt/time...2) he doesnt even know if he'd like law! lol he has not done anything law related besides glancing at his gf's 1L work and thinking he'd enjoy it...while there is a good chance he'd love law, this just adds weight to him maybe thinking through his options even more before making such a life-changing decision

haha dont get me wrong, i love law school so far (to the extent that it will get me a law degree and let me practice law), but i dont know if OP should take a leap of faith just yet

ps - having a MD/JD is pretty badass...and im sure as far as softs go, having a MD already is a noticeable bump ;)

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder. Honestly, how dare you denigrate the profession on a forum dedicated to it? And everyone else that jumped on the law-bashing, medicine-praising band wagon, you're a significant part of the reason why a sizeable part of the American public considers attorneys as immoral, vile gold-diggers. If you don't have any dedication to the legal discipline, at least have the god damn respect not to spit on it, especially if it's going to be your bread and butter in years to come.

MW

Hahahahahah

Meh...I've said my piece. Law> Medicine to society in the long run.

MW

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder.

Honestly, how dare you denigrate the profession on a forum dedicated to it? And everyone else that jumped on the law-bashing, medicine-praising band wagon, you're a significant part of the reason why a sizeable part of the American public considers attorneys as immoral, vile gold-diggers. If you don't have any dedication to the legal discipline, at least have the god damn respect not to spit on it, especially if it's going to be your bread and butter in years to come.

MW

enjoy bottom 1/3

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

Hahahahahah

Meh...I've said my piece. Law> Medicine to society in the long run.

MW

Law may > medicine but lawyers do not > doctors.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder.

MW

enjoy bottom 1/3

Shhh...grown-ups are talking.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137218&p=3611876&hilit=asha+yale+174#p3611876

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

I'll probably agree to that, but it's in part because of the peripheral garbage that orbits the core of law.

MW

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:00 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

I'll probably agree to that, but it's in part because of the peripheral garbage that orbits the core of law.

MW

Doctors are not any better than lawyers. Ask anyone at my school, one of the biggest in the country, why they're here. 75% or more of them are here for the money for sure. They just get a good rep because they help fix what ails ya. It's the miracle worker mystique.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
IAFG wrote:enjoy bottom 1/3

Shhh...grown-ups are talking.

nothing fuels a shitty LS exam quite like strongly-held philosophical convictions.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 am

IAFG wrote:nothing fuels a shitty LS exam quite like strongly-held philosophical convictions.

The fact that I've applied to only the top 6 schools indicates that my "strongly-held philosophical convictions" have not posed much of a problem for me academically thus far. Spare me your aversions to deep thinking; your statements are asinine generalizations that scream of an imbalanced persona.

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

IAFG wrote:
DoctorNo wrote:Does anyone think that not completing my MD will be looked upon poorly by AdComs?

yes. but more importantly, employers will. finish your degree, turn that negative into a super super marketable positive.

I don't think it would make much sense, unless I was in a science or medical-related field of law. I truly have little interest in that. I would, however, wind up with a shit-ton of debt to add to a shit-ton more debt.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

DoctorNo wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

MW

Doctors are not any better than lawyers. Ask anyone at my school, one of the biggest in the country, why they're here. 75% or more of them are here for the money for sure. They just get a good rep because they help fix what ails ya. It's the miracle worker mystique.

I didn't mean doctors are "better" than lawyers, just that they are seen as "better" by much of the general public. Sorry about the lack of clarity.

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
DoctorNo wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

MW

I didn't mean doctors are "better" than lawyers, just that they are seen as "better." Sorry about that.

MW

I would certainly be inclined to agree with you. It's also because the good contributions of lawyers are largely overlooked whereas the contributions of doctors are largely glorified.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

DoctorNo wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I don't think it would make much sense, unless I was in a science or medical-related field of law. I truly have little interest in that. I would, however, wind up with a shit-ton of debt to add to a shit-ton more debt.

with your undergrad degree and ITE its probably already too late to avoid employers having an interest in your background, and if you try to distance yourself from it, it will probably fuck you.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am

OP, go ahead and contact practicing attorneys who've made a similar career change to make sure this isn't a "grass is greener" mentality kicking in. Try looking for attorneys dealing with medical device patents to start (even if you're not interested in that yourself), and you'll definitely find MD/JDs to email, maybe even lawyers who've gone to your med school. This career switch is not quite as rare as it might seem and it could make a lot of sense if you absolutely can't imagine yourself continuing in medicine.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

DoctorNo wrote:

I would certainly be inclined to agree with you. It's also because the good contributions of lawyers are largely overlooked whereas the contributions of doctors are largely glorified.

That's seems reasonable to me.

In regard to your original question, my advice would be to complete med school and then, if you still wish and have the time/money, get your JD.

MW

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
canuck wrote:

Boom

lol, i dont know if everyone here is slamming OP, saying he shouldnt EVER leave med school for lawl school. and speaking of the realities of law school doesnt mean you're bashing it either. it really depends on the context, and it is all relative.

my misgivings, if i were the OP, would be that 1) he has no LSAT and no idea WHICH law school he'd get into -- regardless of his current situation of being a med student, i would NOT recommend law school to MOST ppl who would not get the job they want by going to the school they'd get into...i mean, if you have all the money in the world or REALLY want to be a lawyer, come hell or high water, then you'll be in the small minority who maybe should go regardless of the debt/time...2) he doesnt even know if he'd like law! lol he has not done anything law related besides glancing at his gf's 1L work and thinking he'd enjoy it...while there is a good chance he'd love law, this just adds weight to him maybe thinking through his options even more before making such a life-changing decision

haha dont get me wrong, i love law school so far (to the extent that it will get me a law degree and let me practice law), but i dont know if OP should take a leap of faith just yet

ps - having a MD/JD is pretty badass...and im sure as far as softs go, having a MD already is a noticeable bump ;)

If that's the case, how come I haven't received a JR1 yet?

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 am

er doctor wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Because it's not necessarily a bump at all.

MW

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am

er doctor wrote:If that's the case, how come I haven't received a JR1 yet?

Numbers?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
er doctor wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Because it's not necessarily a bump at all.

MW

um, i think for class diversity, it'd be a bump. HLS loves having unique applicants (any law school would)...MDs are pretty rare in law schools. it'd be a bump. i dont mean a bump that would get a 3.8/169 up or anything lol...but much more noticeable than pretty much all the other stuff on resumes (and heck, id assume more than TFA, Peace Corps, etc. since it is a longer commitment and also a screening of sorts).

and MW, please stop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”