Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:Yeah, that quote was maybe a little bit over the top. Too bad patriotism is nonexistent on this board otherwise...<sigh>.

MW


"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."


"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him."

MW


Notice that the guy who said that started a civil war? Not sure of the context of that quote, but it itself isn't directly in contradiction to the one I cited.


Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am

ITE,

Bad doctors get paid good, good doctors get paid really good.

Bad lawyers don't get jobs, good lawyers make insane money.

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby thegor1987 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

JD/MD

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

thegor1987 wrote:JD/MD


For the lulz.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby DreamShake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:42 am

MysticalWheel wrote:Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW


"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thanks, and ta-ta. I have no desire to continue this discussion.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW


"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thanks, and ta-ta. I have no desire to continue this discussion.


Thank God, though something tells me somebody won't let it go...

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW


"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thanks, and ta-ta. I have no desire to continue this discussion.


lolz. your very ill-informed analogy is subjective, not to mention absurd...
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW


"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thanks, and ta-ta. I have no desire to continue this discussion.

It is generally accepted, based off the standard definitions of “greatest,” that Abraham Lincoln is the greatest leader that the United States has witnessed. Whether it is ultimately subjective or not does not defeat the fact that he is considered such, so your statement seems more like a deflection due to a refusal to confront the core of my statement.

To repeat, Lincoln did not start the Civil War. The South seceded, starting with South Carolina, and were the first to launch a physical attack. Your interpretation of Lincoln’s election starting the Civil War is laughable, but cute. .

Furthermore, my quotation was from a political leader, someone who is considered the greatest political leader by arguably the greatest nation on the Earth. Your quote is from a renowned physicist. Given that the discussion is in regards to patriotism, the author of my quote is more pertinent, and hence, carries more clout in the matter.

Your evaluation of Einstein’s quote seems to betray an overly broad and biased skew against the very conception of patriotism/nationalism. His quote essentially proclaims nationalism as worthless, but Lincoln contradicts that by offering praise to those who show nationalistic/ patriotic inclinations. Therefore, Lincoln’s quote is not compatible with Einstein’s; it cannot be “subsumed” harmoniously.

In a pathetic attempt to escape a losing argument, you finally write that Lincoln’s quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country." “ It is perfectly reasonable to equate place of residence with country, so your deflection fails here.

I have gone through your rebuttal and see absolutely nothing that can redeem your argument. If you don’t have anything worthwhile to say, perhaps it is wiser to simply not respond. Thanks…and “ta-ta.” If you "have no desire to continue this discussion," then I accept your concession.

MW

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby kazu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am

Is no one going to meme this? Really?? Really????

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:56 am

Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 am

ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby kazu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

Image

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

So, we're talking about the Civil War now?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

--ImageRemoved--

This meme should be our new TLS default symbol for approval of another poster's message.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 am

Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 am

I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 am

DoubleChecks wrote:Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?


To be fair, I didn't start the original Ben Wallace thread.

MW

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am

r6_philly wrote:I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)


Stop, please, lol- my ego is already in the freaking stratosphere outer space.

MW

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)


Stop, please, lol- my ego is already in the freaking stratosphere outer space.

MW


there is a ceiling for buoyancy.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby DreamShake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

This meme should be our new TLS default symbol for approval of another poster's message.



MysticalWheel wrote:It is generally accepted, based off the standard definitions of “greatest,” that Abraham Lincoln is the greatest leader that the United States has witnessed. Whether it is ultimately subjective or not does not defeat the fact that he is considered such, so your statement seems more like a deflection due to a refusal to confront the core of my statement.

To repeat, Lincoln did not start the Civil War. The South seceded, starting with South Carolina, and were the first to launch a physical attack. Your interpretation of Lincoln’s election starting the Civil War is laughable, but cute. .

Furthermore, my quotation was from a political leader, someone who is considered the greatest political leader by arguably the greatest nation on the Earth. Your quote is from a renowned physicist. Given that the discussion is in regards to patriotism, the author of my quote is more pertinent, and hence, carries more clout in the matter.

Your evaluation of Einstein’s quote seems to betray an overly broad and biased skew against the very conception of patriotism/nationalism. His quote essentially proclaims nationalism as worthless, but Lincoln contradicts that by offering praise to those who show nationalistic/ patriotic inclinations. Therefore, Lincoln’s quote is not compatible with Einstein’s; it cannot be “subsumed” harmoniously.

In a pathetic attempt to escape a losing argument, you finally write that Lincoln’s quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country." “ It is perfectly reasonable to equate place of residence with country, so your deflection fails here.

I have gone through your rebuttal and see absolutely nothing that can redeem your argument. If you don’t have anything worthwhile to say, perhaps it is wiser to simply not respond. Thanks…and “ta-ta.” If you "have no desire to continue this discussion," then I accept your concession.

MW


Image

edit: image fail

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby thegor1987 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 am

ResolutePear wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:JD/MD


For the lulz.


what is lulz shorthand for? I'm not up on my forum lingo.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:31 am

thegor1987 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:JD/MD


For the lulz.


what is lulz shorthand for? I'm not up on my forum lingo.


For the laughs?

MW

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 am

DoubleChecks wrote:Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?

Yes, I think it is.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jjcorvino, sonyco and 8 guests