Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DoubleChecks

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
IAFG wrote:nothing fuels a shitty LS exam quite like strongly-held philosophical convictions.

The fact that I've applied to only the top 6 schools indicates that my "strongly-held philosophical convictions" have not posed much of a problem for me academically thus far. Spare me your aversions to deep thinking; your statements are asinine generalizations that scream of an imbalanced persona.

MW

i thought only grownups could speak in grownup conversations

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
er doctor wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
ps - having a MD/JD is pretty badass...and im sure as far as softs go, having a MD already is a noticeable bump ;)

If that's the case, how come I haven't received a JR1 yet?

Because it's not necessarily a bump at all.

MW

um, i think for class diversity, it'd be a bump. HLS loves having unique applicants (any law school would)...MDs are pretty rare in law schools. it'd be a bump. i dont mean a bump that would get a 3.8/169 up or anything lol...but much more noticeable than pretty much all the other stuff on resumes (and heck, id assume more than TFA, Peace Corps, etc. since it is a longer commitment and also a screening of sorts).

and MW, please stop.

Stop what? If you want to argue, I have no problem with that, but don't expect to throw subtle insults around without receiving a response. So how about you "please stop"?

MW

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 am

DoubleChecks wrote:

This is truly amusing: you state "please stop," yet you continue to post provocative messages. Please seek either mental or linguistic help...

MW

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:03 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

This is truly amusing: you state "please stop," yet you continue to post provocative messages. Please seek either mental or linguistic help...

MW

oh no, that second post was to tell you what to stop (or part of it)

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
er doctor wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
ps - having a MD/JD is pretty badass...and im sure as far as softs go, having a MD already is a noticeable bump ;)

If that's the case, how come I haven't received a JR1 yet?

Because it's not necessarily a bump at all.

MW

um, i think for class diversity, it'd be a bump. HLS loves having unique applicants (any law school would)...MDs are pretty rare in law schools. it'd be a bump. i dont mean a bump that would get a 3.8/169 up or anything lol...but much more noticeable than pretty much all the other stuff on resumes (and heck, id assume more than TFA, Peace Corps, etc. since it is a longer commitment and also a screening of sorts).

and MW, please stop.

The thing about MD/JD that I've heard from people who've done it is that you should pick one and stick to it.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:06 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:People basically go to law school if:

1) They have useless UG degrees, or
2) Couldn't get into a reasonable Med School or Business School.

Way to disrespect the legal profession and insult everyone practicing or soon to be practicing it. To boot, the reasons you've cited likely do not encompass the motivations for a significant portion of the legally inclined. Take yours truly, for example: I'm going to LS because I want to practice and contribute to the most fundamentally necessary profession in any human society. Without the law, conventional medicine and agriculture would be stifled by anarchic friction and disorder. Honestly, how dare you denigrate the profession on a forum dedicated to it? And everyone else that jumped on the law-bashing, medicine-praising band wagon, you're a significant part of the reason why a sizeable part of the American public considers attorneys as immoral, vile gold-diggers. If you don't have any dedication to the legal discipline, at least have the god damn respect not to spit on it, especially if it's going to be your bread and butter in years to come.

MW

Hahahahahah

Meh...I've said my piece. Law> Medicine to society in the long run.

MW

LOL

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 am

DoctorNo wrote:The thing about MD/JD that I've heard from people who've done it is that you should pick one and stick to it.

oh yeah, i mean i have no idea how it feels to get both...in fact, just imagining it makes me shudder

its a very tough road

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:10 am

DoctorNo wrote:The thing about MD/JD that I've heard from people who've done it is that you should pick one and stick to it.

What do you mean by "pick one and stick to it?" I work in a center that focuses on reducing malpractice risk, and we have an MD/JD on staff. She got her MD first and practiced for 6-7 years, then got her JD and now works primarily in research. Granted, this is a sample size of one, but I've talked with other MD/JDs who work as CMOs, COOs, etc. for hospitals. I guess if you take the time to get a JD, it means that you're going to expand your career outside of the wards, although I would imagine that one could still practice medicine.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

LOL

Lol...you know it's true, Mad Max style!

Also: Black Death= greatest biological disaster in human history yet failed to kill even half the population of the Earth.

MW
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 am

The Gentleman wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:People basically go to law school if:

1) They have useless UG degrees, or
2) Couldn't get into a reasonable Med School or Business School.

Put me down for #1.

Me too :(

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Me too :(

Don't frown - you're in UVA!

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 am

ahduth wrote:
er doctor wrote:If that's the case, how come I haven't received a JR1 yet?

Numbers?

GPA 3.76
LSAT 173

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

LOL

Also: Black Death= greatest biological disaster in human history yet failed to kill even half the population of the Earth.

MW

The 1918- 1919 influenza pandemic killed much more people than the bubonic plague.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:21 am

er doctor wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Numbers?

GPA 3.76
LSAT 173

Because you don't have HLS numbers. Enjoy Columbia.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:22 am

er doctor wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Numbers?

GPA 3.76
LSAT 173

Sounds like about 25% at Harvard, so the JR1 will depend on how the competition is looking and who knows what else.

MW

Edit: Error- 25% is more accurate.
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:23 am

atresia wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Me too :(

Don't frown - you're in UVA!

Haha was this sarcastic? I cant tell. if it was then thats mean, if not then thanks lol

I just think its kind of rediculous that all of these people on here are telling someone in med school (who hates it) not to leave for law school. I dont understand why some people think LS is so bad. I mean even if i had a very useful degree i would still be going to law school because its my career goal and i think its a big accomplishment and i wouldnt go to med school in any case because i hate anything dealing with sciences

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Haha was this sarcastic? I cant tell. if it was then thats mean, if not then thanks lol

No, definitely being serious. I'm a 3.9/164 who'd love to get UVA (although I'm retaking the LSAT in December).

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

LOL

MW

The 1918- 1919 influenza pandemic killed much more people than the bubonic plague.

Percentage wise, it didn't even come close. Either way, your example only bolsters my point.

MW

Edit: Upon quickly checking Wikipedia, I've realized that your original statement regarding the flu pandemic is incorrect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_influenza_pandemic#Victims
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 am

MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

I disagree with this. Priority-wise health always supersedes legal security. I would rather go to jail and live than be free and be dead.

Law is a human construct and serves a peripheral function, whilst medicine deals with intrinsic questions of life and how to improve it.

My advice to OP would be to stay in med school, unless you really hate it and are able to get 172+ on the LSAT.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am

Ragged wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

I disagree with this. Priority-wise health always supersedes legal security. I would rather go to jail and live than be free and be dead.

Law is a human construct and serves a peripheral function, whilst medicine deals with intrinsic questions of life and how to improve it.

By advice to OP would be to stay in med school, unless you really hate it and are able to get 172+ on the LSAT.

While I agree that law is an artificial construct, I would say it's necessary for human society as we conceive of it and isn't simply a peripheral function.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 am

Ragged wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

My advice to OP would be to stay in med school, unless you really hate it and are able to get 172+ on the LSAT.

Wrong. Law is of fundamental necessity to human society; without it, conventional medicine and agricultural control would likely not be able to develop anywhere near the levels of proficiency they enjoy today. Furthermore, medicine is no less a human construct than law is, so that differentiation seems to rest on a preconceived, albeit false, notion.

In sum, medicine and agriculture necessitate some type of law in order to develop, not the other way around. Law> Medicine.

MW

Edit: Here's a quick way to see what I'm getting at: take away law from society and what do you get? Anarchic friction, disorder, lack of standards, lack of security, and hence, a stifling of progress and development. Take away medicine from society and what do you get? At worst, so far, the Black Death, but does society die out? NO, it remains, unlike what happens if law is removed. Hence, preserving the law supersedes preserving medicine. Medicine needs law to flourish; law does not need medicine.

Also, think about the American Revolution (for example): did the colonists have to revolt and risk their lives for independence? They knew full well that war with Britain could very well result in death, yet they still pursued the ideals expressed in the Dec. of Independence. There are things that are more important than just preserving life because without such things (e.g., liberty), life would not necessarily be worth living. To state that "health always supersedes legal security" is a statement that either completely misunderstands (or simply does not understand) the American Revolution, or betrays an accurate understanding.
Last edited by MysticalWheel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

This thread was too long to keep up with, but in case it hasn't already been said,

Why don't you just be a total Badass and get a law degree after med school if money isn't an issue? If that's not an intellectual stimulating combo, I don't know what is.

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:03 am

chip3341 wrote:This thread was too long to keep up with, but in case it hasn't already been said,

Why don't you just be a total Badass and get a law degree after med school if money isn't an issue? If that's not an intellectual stimulating combo, I don't know what is.

Well, it is and it isn't. While I don't want to be nearly $400,000 in debt with no work under my belt, it makes more sense to either be $120k or so and working, supplemented by family money rather than $200+k, hating my job. Does that make sense?

DoctorNo

Postby DoctorNo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 am

Ragged wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

Hypothetical-how much does family influence admissions? My father attended a particular Ivy for his masters in economics. I was wondering if that would help at all in Law admissions, if at all.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 am

DoctorNo wrote:
Ragged wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:

MW

Hypothetical-how much does family influence admissions? My father attended a particular Ivy for his masters in economics. I was wondering if that would help at all in Law admissions, if at all.

How much does he donate to this particular Ivy?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”