Medical Student here looking to jump ship... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MysticalWheel

Bronze

Re: Medical Student here looking to jump ship...

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote: Yeah, that quote was maybe a little bit over the top. Too bad patriotism is nonexistent on this board otherwise...<sigh>.

MW
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him."

MW
Notice that the guy who said that started a civil war? Not sure of the context of that quote, but it itself isn't directly in contradiction to the one I cited.
Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am

ITE,

Bad doctors get paid good, good doctors get paid really good.

Bad lawyers don't get jobs, good lawyers make insane money.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

JD/MD

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

thegor1987 wrote:JD/MD
For the lulz.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:42 am

MysticalWheel wrote: Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW
"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thanks, and ta-ta. I have no desire to continue this discussion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:51 am

DreamShake wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote: Notice that the "guy" who said that is considered the greatest leader this nation has ever had. Also, Lincoln did not start the Civil War, so check your history again. The quote is in partial direct contradiction to the quote you provided, so check your logic while you're checking your history too. :)

MW
"Greatest X" arguments are generally subjective, and "greatest leader" is no different. In any case, a choice at the barrel of a gun is no choice at all--and Lincoln's inauguration speech amounted to pointing a barrel at the South's economic head.

Einstein=Nationalism is infantile (read: small-minded and shortsighted); we're part of something larger. We are all humans, we all live on earth, etc.
Lincoln=You should be proud of whence you come and live such a life that it may also be proud of you.
Einsteinian response=Sounds good. Work on making the world a better place. Make humanity proud that you're a part of it.

The Einsteinian quote involves a much broader perspective than you seem to recognize. Lincoln's quote has no apparent context or discussion of scope, so it can be subsumed into the Einsteinian perspective. Your quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country."

Thank God, though something tells me somebody won't let it go...

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am

DreamShake wrote:

MW

lolz. your very ill-informed analogy is subjective, not to mention absurd...
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 am

DreamShake wrote:

MW

It is generally accepted, based off the standard definitions of “greatest,” that Abraham Lincoln is the greatest leader that the United States has witnessed. Whether it is ultimately subjective or not does not defeat the fact that he is considered such, so your statement seems more like a deflection due to a refusal to confront the core of my statement.

To repeat, Lincoln did not start the Civil War. The South seceded, starting with South Carolina, and were the first to launch a physical attack. Your interpretation of Lincoln’s election starting the Civil War is laughable, but cute. .

Furthermore, my quotation was from a political leader, someone who is considered the greatest political leader by arguably the greatest nation on the Earth. Your quote is from a renowned physicist. Given that the discussion is in regards to patriotism, the author of my quote is more pertinent, and hence, carries more clout in the matter.

Your evaluation of Einstein’s quote seems to betray an overly broad and biased skew against the very conception of patriotism/nationalism. His quote essentially proclaims nationalism as worthless, but Lincoln contradicts that by offering praise to those who show nationalistic/ patriotic inclinations. Therefore, Lincoln’s quote is not compatible with Einstein’s; it cannot be “subsumed” harmoniously.

In a pathetic attempt to escape a losing argument, you finally write that Lincoln’s quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country." “ It is perfectly reasonable to equate place of residence with country, so your deflection fails here.

I have gone through your rebuttal and see absolutely nothing that can redeem your argument. If you don’t have anything worthwhile to say, perhaps it is wiser to simply not respond. Thanks…and “ta-ta.” If you "have no desire to continue this discussion," then I accept your concession.

MW

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am

Is no one going to meme this? Really?? Really????

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:56 am

Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Lock this thread already. Put it out of it's misery.

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 am

ResolutePear wrote:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

So, we're talking about the Civil War now?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 am

--ImageRemoved--

This meme should be our new TLS default symbol for approval of another poster's message.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 am

Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 am

I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 am

DoubleChecks wrote:Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?
To be fair, I didn't start the original Ben Wallace thread.

MW

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am

r6_philly wrote:I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)
Stop, please, lol- my ego is already in the freaking stratosphere outer space.

MW

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 am

MysticalWheel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I have to admit, she is sort of charming. (MW)
Stop, please, lol- my ego is already in the freaking stratosphere outer space.

MW
there is a ceiling for buoyancy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

This meme should be our new TLS default symbol for approval of another poster's message.
MysticalWheel wrote: It is generally accepted, based off the standard definitions of “greatest,” that Abraham Lincoln is the greatest leader that the United States has witnessed. Whether it is ultimately subjective or not does not defeat the fact that he is considered such, so your statement seems more like a deflection due to a refusal to confront the core of my statement.

To repeat, Lincoln did not start the Civil War. The South seceded, starting with South Carolina, and were the first to launch a physical attack. Your interpretation of Lincoln’s election starting the Civil War is laughable, but cute. .

Furthermore, my quotation was from a political leader, someone who is considered the greatest political leader by arguably the greatest nation on the Earth. Your quote is from a renowned physicist. Given that the discussion is in regards to patriotism, the author of my quote is more pertinent, and hence, carries more clout in the matter.

Your evaluation of Einstein’s quote seems to betray an overly broad and biased skew against the very conception of patriotism/nationalism. His quote essentially proclaims nationalism as worthless, but Lincoln contradicts that by offering praise to those who show nationalistic/ patriotic inclinations. Therefore, Lincoln’s quote is not compatible with Einstein’s; it cannot be “subsumed” harmoniously.

In a pathetic attempt to escape a losing argument, you finally write that Lincoln’s quote only contradicts the Einstein quote if you assume that the "place in which he lives" is equated with "his country." “ It is perfectly reasonable to equate place of residence with country, so your deflection fails here.

I have gone through your rebuttal and see absolutely nothing that can redeem your argument. If you don’t have anything worthwhile to say, perhaps it is wiser to simply not respond. Thanks…and “ta-ta.” If you "have no desire to continue this discussion," then I accept your concession.

MW

edit: image fail

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 am

ResolutePear wrote:
For the lulz.
what is lulz shorthand for? I'm not up on my forum lingo.

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Post by MysticalWheel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:31 am

thegor1987 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
For the lulz.
what is lulz shorthand for? I'm not up on my forum lingo.
For the laughs?

MW

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:51 am

DoubleChecks wrote:Is this "Lock MW's Threads" Day?
Yes, I think it is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”