Should I do a why UVA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:25 pm

mst wrote:3)I never said it wasn't helping them. I just said it was screwing us (the applicants). Why are people on their side with this one? I don't understand... If you were getting in currently, you would get in if they stopped. If you were getting YP'd currently, you would get in. Nothing would hurt any applicants, except UVA's stats wouldn't be complete bullshit anymore...


This isn't true. Many folks ED to give themselves a better chance. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Is a 3.2-174 less equipped to be a good attorney than a 3.6-172? There are substantially more qualified applicants than there are spots. Why not give priority to people that really want to go there?

EDIT: You semm to miss that if no one got yp'ed and everyone currently getting in was accepted as well, the class size could be over 1000.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:27 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:UVA has an acceptance rate of 10% and they were overenrolled last year. That means their acceptance rate is too high. It means that they did not waitlist or reject enough people, not that they waitlisted too many. If UVA admitted every qualified applicant who applied, their class size would be much bigger.


Not really. Those applicants would still choose the better school they get into over UVA. The only thing that would get hurt is UVA's acceptance ratio. Oh yeah, and the applicants who are less qualified than the small portion of ones who would now be accepted and actually would choose UVA, to the surprise of the admissions committee...

plenipotentiary wrote:Anyway, if you're too lazy to familiarize yourself with the differences between 14 law schools, how do you expect the school to differentiate between thousands of applicants with similar credentials? ED is one way that they can do that. There's some randomness in the law school admissions process, and ED cuts down on that.


I can differentiate. But not that much. Because there's just not that much different that's worth pointing out in an essay. As I pointed out 30 posts ago...

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby 12262010 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:29 pm

mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...


is this satire?

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:EDIT: You semm to miss that if no one got yp'ed and everyone currently getting in was accepted as well, the class size could be over 1000.


You semm to miss that not everyone whos getting YP'd (actually, probably very few people) would actually attend if let in.

This is all about their acceptance ratio people... not their class size.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:32 pm

mst wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:UVA has an acceptance rate of 10% and they were overenrolled last year. That means their acceptance rate is too high. It means that they did not waitlist or reject enough people, not that they waitlisted too many. If UVA admitted every qualified applicant who applied, their class size would be much bigger.


Not really. Those applicants would still choose the better school they get into over UVA. The only thing that would get hurt is UVA's acceptance ratio. Oh yeah, and the applicants who are less qualified than the small portion of ones who would now be accepted and actually would choose UVA, to the surprise of the admissions committee...


Uh, that is incorrect. The reason that they were overenrolled is that more accepted applicants were choosing to attend UVA than they had expected.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:33 pm

mst wrote:You semm to miss that not everyone whos getting YP'd (actually, probably very few people) would actually attend if let in.

This is all about their acceptance ratio people... not their class size.


They YPed like crazy last cycle and still wound up overenrolled to the point they paid people to defer a year.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

booyakasha wrote:
mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...


is this satire?


I was kind of paraphrasing. If anybody is actually interested in having me go paragraph by paragraph through my personal statement, then explaining what I like about UVA in complete detail, and then detailing how I tied that into my personal statement, please let me know so I can tell you that you have too much time on your hands.

But no, poorly planned jokes are good too.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby $$$$$$ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:35 pm

mst wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:UVA loves people that love UVA. If you ED, it shows you really want to attend there. Splitters will probably get in somewhere in the T-14 anyways and so if you like UVA, its a great way into the T-10. Also, splitters are not all underachievers, many people here played college sports, ran fraternities, had social lives and truly enjoyed their undergrad so their GPA suffered, then rocked the LSAT because they are intelligent and hard workers. I don't think you can call anyone willing to go to law school an underachiever, its a lot of fucking work. If you think splitters are underachievers you probably wont fit in/like the culture at UVA. Its very work hard, play hard and some times it seems like people are doing barely any work, but those people are probably smart as hell.

Also, the way UVA does admissions is very smart, look at their acceptance rate, its 10%. Their medians are 3.85 and 170, doing it this way obviously is helping them. And you say they dont get a good feel for the class? You think you honestly get that from reading everyone's personal statement and going through someones profile? Most people say some generic shit anyways about helping people. Once you get here pretty much everyone is bright and accomplished in different ways, who are you to say who belongs and who doesnt at a t-10 school?


1)What the hell are you talking about? Nothing you said in the first paragraph has anything to do with what I'm pointing out...

2)UVA has an acceptance rate of 10% because they waitlist the crap out of qualified people who weren't willing to commit to an ED because that's not how a fair admissions process should work, especially if you meet the LSAT and GPA medians of the school...

3)I never said it wasn't helping them. I just said it was screwing us (the applicants). Why are people on their side with this one? I don't understand... If you were getting in currently, you would get in if they stopped. If you were getting YP'd currently, you would get in. Nothing would hurt any applicants, except UVA's stats wouldn't be complete bullshit anymore...


Quotes from you....

"If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative"

"then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason"

1) you're an idiot

2) No one gets screwed, in fact this system helps applicants like me, "lazy splitters"

3) All stats are bullshit (100% employment rate at Duke) - stats are what you make of them, UVA likes to have a high yield so they waitlist a ton of people, big deal. If you really cant write ONE PAGE about what stands out at UVA, then why the hell should they waste your time with you? UVA is so different from other schools socially and culturally, it is not that hard to write about why you like it, and if you dont like it for those different reasons, you probably wont like going there anyways.

No one in the T-10 offers scholarships to White kids from the NE, with a 3.3 and a 170-172, so that statement is totally false. In fact, no where in the top 30 (other then maybe Bama) will probably give a 3.2, 171 a large enough amount of $$$$ and decent prospects in markets they want to go, so why not apply ED to a T-10?

You talk about something you have absolutely no idea about. Did you know that UVA has their class about 1/3 full already? Why would they just accept everyone with good numbers? What incentive do they have? Stop bitching about shit you cannot control and accept the fact that you are going to LAW SCHOOL, to learn about what?....a system, that has plenty of unfair shit about it and plenty of good about it. Try to look at things from others perspectives, it will hep you in the future.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
mst wrote:You semm to miss that not everyone whos getting YP'd (actually, probably very few people) would actually attend if let in.

This is all about their acceptance ratio people... not their class size.


They YPed like crazy last cycle and still wound up overenrolled to the point they paid people to defer a year.


Sounds like they should be WL'ing, not YPing. And by WLing, I actually mean WLing applicants who are relatively under qualified. They can actually stop YPing AND start managing their class sizes at the same time! Crazy, huh?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Ragged wrote:
rayiner wrote:
mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you really wanted to go writing a "why UVA" would be easy; clearly you don't so why are you having a hissy fit.


Just because I don't have a particular reason to go to UVA outside of the standard stuff doesn't mean I don't really want to go there...


Is this what you're going to tell your OCI interviewers? "I want to work at your firm/organization because although I can't differentiate it from other firms/organizations it is well regarded and has good lawyers."


But what's wrong with that? Its a serious question. Not everyone is gonna have a specific and noble sounding reason for wanting to go to a particular school/get a particular job, besides that that school/job is good at what they do and have a high reputation. Isn't that a reason enough?

I understand that its a type of a question one is required to have a "good" answer to, no matter how imaginative. But it just sounds fake/forced most of the time.


Law firms don't want to hire socially retarded fucks who can't even fake enthusiasm for 20 minutes. They skeev out clients.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby 12262010 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 pm

mst wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...


is this satire?


I was kind of paraphrasing. If anybody is actually interested in having me go paragraph by paragraph through my personal statement, then explaining what I like about UVA in complete detail, and then detailing how I tied that into my personal statement, please let me know so I can tell you that you have too much time on your hands.

But no, poorly planned jokes are good too.


is this meta satire?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 pm

mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:
mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you really wanted to go writing a "why UVA" would be easy; clearly you don't so why are you having a hissy fit.


Just because I don't have a particular reason to go to UVA outside of the standard stuff doesn't mean I don't really want to go there...


Is this what you're going to tell your OCI interviewers? "I want to work at your firm/organization because although I can't differentiate it from other firms/organizations it is well regarded and has good lawyers."


I'm going to tell them "I like X about your culture/work/oppurtunties. I feel like it could be a good match." and move on, like any person would in any normal environment where we are being adults with each other and not treating each other like idiots by writing pages of bullshit facts on that particular firm to pretend there really is something REMARKABLY different for that one firm, when everyone knows there just isn't.

UVA is a law school. It's really good. It's near DC and places in DC well. It has a very friendly culture. It conducts OCI's a bit different from Michigan. Aside from that, it's not some remarkable program that is vastly different from its peers. It teaches law. It has great professors. It has good connections and alumni support.

I have one life. I'm going to die. And in the meantime I don't feel like having to bullshit my way through it just for the sake of getting into law school. I'm not going to apologize for that. I'm going to complain that it is necessary in the hopes that somebody notices and eventually it will be part of a movement supporting change. You don't have to listen to me complain. You opened this thread. Not me...


No, if you want to get a job you're going to treat each OCI interview like it's for the only job you want. Because otherwise they'll pass you over for someone who will.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:42 pm

okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
mst wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:UVA loves people that love UVA. If you ED, it shows you really want to attend there. Splitters will probably get in somewhere in the T-14 anyways and so if you like UVA, its a great way into the T-10. Also, splitters are not all underachievers, many people here played college sports, ran fraternities, had social lives and truly enjoyed their undergrad so their GPA suffered, then rocked the LSAT because they are intelligent and hard workers. I don't think you can call anyone willing to go to law school an underachiever, its a lot of fucking work. If you think splitters are underachievers you probably wont fit in/like the culture at UVA. Its very work hard, play hard and some times it seems like people are doing barely any work, but those people are probably smart as hell.

Also, the way UVA does admissions is very smart, look at their acceptance rate, its 10%. Their medians are 3.85 and 170, doing it this way obviously is helping them. And you say they dont get a good feel for the class? You think you honestly get that from reading everyone's personal statement and going through someones profile? Most people say some generic shit anyways about helping people. Once you get here pretty much everyone is bright and accomplished in different ways, who are you to say who belongs and who doesnt at a t-10 school?


1)What the hell are you talking about? Nothing you said in the first paragraph has anything to do with what I'm pointing out...

2)UVA has an acceptance rate of 10% because they waitlist the crap out of qualified people who weren't willing to commit to an ED because that's not how a fair admissions process should work, especially if you meet the LSAT and GPA medians of the school...

3)I never said it wasn't helping them. I just said it was screwing us (the applicants). Why are people on their side with this one? I don't understand... If you were getting in currently, you would get in if they stopped. If you were getting YP'd currently, you would get in. Nothing would hurt any applicants, except UVA's stats wouldn't be complete bullshit anymore...


Quotes from you....

"If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative"

"then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason"

1) you're an idiot

2) No one gets screwed, in fact this system helps applicants like me, "lazy splitters"

3) All stats are bullshit (100% employment rate at Duke) - stats are what you make of them, UVA likes to have a high yield so they waitlist a ton of people, big deal. If you really cant write ONE PAGE about what stands out at UVA, then why the hell should they waste your time with you? UVA is so different from other schools socially and culturally, it is not that hard to write about why you like it, and if you dont like it for those different reasons, you probably wont like going there anyways.

No one in the T-10 offers scholarships to White kids from the NE, with a 3.3 and a 170-172, so that statement is totally false. In fact, no where in the top 30 (other then maybe Bama) will probably give a 3.2, 171 a large enough amount of $$$$ and decent prospects in markets they want to go, so why not apply ED to a T-10?

You talk about something you have absolutely no idea about. Did you know that UVA has their class about 1/3 full already? Why would they just accept everyone with good numbers? What incentive do they have? Stop bitching about shit you cannot control and accept the fact that you are going to LAW SCHOOL, to learn about what?....a system, that has plenty of unfair shit about it and plenty of good about it. Try to look at things from others perspectives, it will hep you in the future.


Awesome comeback with the "You're an idiot" thing. Really hammers your message home, especially when well over half of what you've said so far makes no sense using basic logic...

People DO get screwed. The people who waste their time applying to UVA to get YP'ed. Just because you benefitted from it doesn't mean you should have.

3 - If I have to go over my reasons why I shouldn't have to write a complete page of bullshit one more time (especially one that isn't even MENTIONED in the application) I'm literally going to ram my head through my window. "Big Deal" is not a response. You can't argue that it's an awesome system, then go on to acknowledge its completely for the sake of stats so I can just suck it up. I don't want to suck it up. It's stupid. That's all this thread is. Of COURSE you're going to argue against it because your part of the crowd who benefits from YP student's loss, even though they (by all measurable means outside of a willingness to b/s a paper that isn't even asked for) are more qualified.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:46 pm

rayiner wrote:No, if you want to get a job you're going to treat each OCI interview like it's for the only job you want. Because otherwise they'll pass you over for someone who will.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:47 pm

IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image


Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 pm

mst wrote:Sounds like they should be WL'ing, not YPing. And by WLing, I actually mean WLing applicants who are relatively under qualified. They can actually stop YPing AND start managing their class sizes at the same time! Crazy, huh?


I'm impressed that you are capable of evaluating what constitutes a qualified applicant. As IAFG pointed out, law school admissions are overly obsessed with numbers and the system benefits you because you have good numbers. Go ahead and proceed with your entitled bitchfest about one aspect of the system that doesn't work in your favor.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 pm

mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image


Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.


I didn't read this thread, but in all the time you've spent being an entitled brat on here you could've written a decent "Why UVA?"

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:56 pm

mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image


Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.

mmm bite me i will troll your bullshit entitlement if i want. btw someone with your numbers ED'd NYU last year, didn't land it, and is now at NU AT STICKER HAHAHAHAHA

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby 12262010 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image


Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.

mmm bite me i will troll your bullshit entitlement if i want. btw someone with your numbers ED'd NYU last year, didn't land it, and is now at NU AT STICKER HAHAHAHAHA


/neighs softly

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby irishman86 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:03 pm

With your numbers you will probably get into a better school than UVA.

UVA likes to accept (ED) splitters as a way of gaming the rankings. I don't even think writing a "Why UVA" would help that much considering you're not really a splitter.

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby canuck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Image


Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.

mmm bite me i will troll your bullshit entitlement if i want. btw someone with your numbers ED'd NYU last year, didn't land it, and is now at NU AT STICKER HAHAHAHAHA


^This is just evil.

You all have valid points. UVA is doing what it thinks is best for itself and they have every right to do so. It probably isn't very fair to some of those that have paid their application fee and applied. In particular, it is not fair to do those who were ignorant to the benefits of writing a Why X essay and/or EDing. Alas, it is a reality and there is nothing any of us can do it about.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Sweeeet rage since I last checked this thread, good work folks. :D

I don't really know how to read very well, so I wasn't able to understand all the arguments. Are we complaining about the fact that we have to write a "why UVA" essay, or that they YP? Or both?

Seems to me, if they're over-enrolled, they need to do both, plus something else - supplemental essays like Penn for example.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby $$$$$$ » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 pm

mst wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:
mst wrote:
$$$$$$ wrote:UVA loves people that love UVA. If you ED, it shows you really want to attend there. Splitters will probably get in somewhere in the T-14 anyways and so if you like UVA, its a great way into the T-10. Also, splitters are not all underachievers, many people here played college sports, ran fraternities, had social lives and truly enjoyed their undergrad so their GPA suffered, then rocked the LSAT because they are intelligent and hard workers. I don't think you can call anyone willing to go to law school an underachiever, its a lot of fucking work. If you think splitters are underachievers you probably wont fit in/like the culture at UVA. Its very work hard, play hard and some times it seems like people are doing barely any work, but those people are probably smart as hell.

Also, the way UVA does admissions is very smart, look at their acceptance rate, its 10%. Their medians are 3.85 and 170, doing it this way obviously is helping them. And you say they dont get a good feel for the class? You think you honestly get that from reading everyone's personal statement and going through someones profile? Most people say some generic shit anyways about helping people. Once you get here pretty much everyone is bright and accomplished in different ways, who are you to say who belongs and who doesnt at a t-10 school?


1)What the hell are you talking about? Nothing you said in the first paragraph has anything to do with what I'm pointing out...

2)UVA has an acceptance rate of 10% because they waitlist the crap out of qualified people who weren't willing to commit to an ED because that's not how a fair admissions process should work, especially if you meet the LSAT and GPA medians of the school...

3)I never said it wasn't helping them. I just said it was screwing us (the applicants). Why are people on their side with this one? I don't understand... If you were getting in currently, you would get in if they stopped. If you were getting YP'd currently, you would get in. Nothing would hurt any applicants, except UVA's stats wouldn't be complete bullshit anymore...


Quotes from you....

"If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative"

"then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason"

1) you're an idiot

2) No one gets screwed, in fact this system helps applicants like me, "lazy splitters"

3) All stats are bullshit (100% employment rate at Duke) - stats are what you make of them, UVA likes to have a high yield so they waitlist a ton of people, big deal. If you really cant write ONE PAGE about what stands out at UVA, then why the hell should they waste your time with you? UVA is so different from other schools socially and culturally, it is not that hard to write about why you like it, and if you dont like it for those different reasons, you probably wont like going there anyways.

No one in the T-10 offers scholarships to White kids from the NE, with a 3.3 and a 170-172, so that statement is totally false. In fact, no where in the top 30 (other then maybe Bama) will probably give a 3.2, 171 a large enough amount of $$$$ and decent prospects in markets they want to go, so why not apply ED to a T-10?

You talk about something you have absolutely no idea about. Did you know that UVA has their class about 1/3 full already? Why would they just accept everyone with good numbers? What incentive do they have? Stop bitching about shit you cannot control and accept the fact that you are going to LAW SCHOOL, to learn about what?....a system, that has plenty of unfair shit about it and plenty of good about it. Try to look at things from others perspectives, it will hep you in the future.


Awesome comeback with the "You're an idiot" thing. Really hammers your message home, especially when well over half of what you've said so far makes no sense using basic logic...

People DO get screwed. The people who waste their time applying to UVA to get YP'ed. Just because you benefitted from it doesn't mean you should have.

3 - If I have to go over my reasons why I shouldn't have to write a complete page of bullshit one more time (especially one that isn't even MENTIONED in the application) I'm literally going to ram my head through my window. "Big Deal" is not a response. You can't argue that it's an awesome system, then go on to acknowledge its completely for the sake of stats so I can just suck it up. I don't want to suck it up. It's stupid. That's all this thread is. Of COURSE you're going to argue against it because your part of the crowd who benefits from YP student's loss,by all measurable means outs even though they (ide of a willingness to b/s a paper that isn't even asked for) are more qualified.


Point out my logical flaws man. I don't think I even made an argument using logic. I mean, I said if system good for school ----> school will use system. Seems like decent logic to me. More and more people want to go to UVA every year, so it seems like they are doing SOMETHING right. And i figured idiot was a pretty good way to describe you. Would, Ignorant of how the world works be a little better to bring the point home to you?

It is an awesome system, for UVA. I am sorry that it doesn't help you get in any easier. Maybe you should apply to Berkeley then, who takes the "whole applicant" into consideration instead of horrifically gaming the system like UVA. Maybe you should go to Penn where they Definitely Dont YP.

No one gets screwed, you are not getting screwed, getting screwed is being 20 years old and getting into a construction accident because someone did not warn you of a blasting and being in a coma for 5 years and dying at 25, you spoiled prick. Me getting in has NOTHING to do with other people not getting in. You make your own luck, if UVA did it differently, maybe i wouldn't be here, id be at michigan or something instead, its called being able to roll with the punches. If uva likes "why" essays, write then a fucking why essay.

People who go around complaining about shit they cant control are fucking retarded. Aren't there more important things to crusade against in the world than the admissions process of UVA? How about the fact that gay people can't get married, that is kind of unfair, no?

If you don't want to write it, by all means, don't. You dont seem like you would not fit in at UVA anyways, too many under qualified people to be around.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:17 pm

ahduth wrote:Sweeeet rage since I last checked this thread, good work folks. :D

I don't really know how to read very well, so I wasn't able to understand all the arguments. Are we complaining about the fact that we have to write a "why UVA" essay, or that they YP? Or both?

Seems to me, if they're over-enrolled, they need to do both, plus something else - supplemental essays like Penn for example.


The Penn supplemental essays are like preemptive YP. Many people who don't really want to attend Penn are probably dissuaded from applying by the extra essay.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanibella and 1 guest