Should I do a why UVA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
McDeere

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby McDeere » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 am

Saltqjibo wrote:So this thread was pretty much useless in helping me decide if I should do a why UVA. I have a 3.76 and a 175. Someone said the class was full already? I don't know what the hell is going on

What? No, the class is not full already. Don't write a Why UVA if you really don't want to. You don't even really want to go there anyway

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:56 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
You should probably go to Chicago, you'd fit right in.

Dude...

A) Dont be dissing one of the best schools in the world for the purposes of arguing for UVA.

B) You are giving UVA wayyy too much credit. I have seen strong applicants (3.8x, 174+) with great essays+compelling Why UVA (all of which I edited so I know its good) get rejected. At the same time I have seen relatively mediocre applicants (3.4x, 168-171) standard essays and no Why UVA at all get in. That indicates something a little different from this idea of a school only accepting people that want to be there.

1) I'm not dissing Chicago. I'm just saying that he'd probably fit in there, better than he would at UVA.

2) Where do people on this board get off thinking that having good numbers entitles them to anything?

hes dissing "one of the best schools in the world that helped create the lax economic policies that helped shape the credit crisis and the downfall of some of the largest american banks because their conceptual theoretical bullshit being used in a practical nature" because it seems like a miserable place to go to law school or school in general. Everyone I know that went to undergrad there hated it and the same can be true for grad schools. Also, UVA is better than Chicago as a school in many MANY ways

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Dude...

A) Dont be dissing one of the best schools in the world for the purposes of arguing for UVA.

B) You are giving UVA wayyy too much credit. I have seen strong applicants (3.8x, 174+) with great essays+compelling Why UVA (all of which I edited so I know its good) get rejected. At the same time I have seen relatively mediocre applicants (3.4x, 168-171) standard essays and no Why UVA at all get in. That indicates something a little different from this idea of a school only accepting people that want to be there.

1) I'm not dissing Chicago. I'm just saying that he'd probably fit in there, better than he would at UVA.

2) Where do people on this board get off thinking that having good numbers entitles them to anything?

hes dissing "one of the best schools in the world that helped create the lax economic policies that helped shape the credit crisis and the downfall of some of the largest american banks because their conceptual theoretical bullshit being used in a practical nature" because it seems like a miserable place to go to law school or school in general. Everyone I know that went to undergrad there hated it and the same can be true for grad schools. Also, UVA is better than Chicago as a school in many MANY ways

Well, what economic policy is better? Heterodox policies that bankrupted Greece recently and Latin America in the not too distant past?

canuck

Postby canuck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:28 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Dude...

I regret to inform you that you do not understand the credit crisis.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”