Should I do a why UVA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UW2UVA

New

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Post by UW2UVA » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:23 pm

I think this guy is a great example of what they mean when they say UVA is kind of a self-selecting class upon admission. Honestly, I don't think UVA would be the best choice for you man. I mean, if your goal is the best school you can go to, sure, come on in if this is the highest you get admitted to, but if you have other options at the same level, I think you should seriously consider them. No sarcasm or insult intended-just honesty. There are a few people in the class that I can picture saying exactly what you've been saying, and they aren't doing well here outside or inside of class for that matter (not saying you wont, just saying, think about it).

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
ahduth wrote:Sweeeet rage since I last checked this thread, good work folks. :D

I don't really know how to read very well, so I wasn't able to understand all the arguments. Are we complaining about the fact that we have to write a "why UVA" essay, or that they YP? Or both?

Seems to me, if they're over-enrolled, they need to do both, plus something else - supplemental essays like Penn for example.
The Penn supplemental essays are like preemptive YP. Many people who don't really want to attend Penn are probably dissuaded from applying by the extra essay.
the thing about MVP is, lots of people fit into their range numbers-wise. eing unable to really move their medians significantly, they've got to choose something to winnow down the pool. Penn uses Why Penn and possibly undergrad prestige. Mich uses proven interest via essays. UVA uses ED and also, since they have to meet in-state quotas, that. what would be better, really?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
ahduth wrote:Sweeeet rage since I last checked this thread, good work folks. :D

I don't really know how to read very well, so I wasn't able to understand all the arguments. Are we complaining about the fact that we have to write a "why UVA" essay, or that they YP? Or both?

Seems to me, if they're over-enrolled, they need to do both, plus something else - supplemental essays like Penn for example.
The Penn supplemental essays are like preemptive YP. Many people who don't really want to attend Penn are probably dissuaded from applying by the extra essay.
Well, to canuck's point earlier, with Penn it's explicit, with UVA it's not. Although my impression here is that a "Why UVA" essay isn't getting you in anyhow unless you have stellar numbers. Penn tells you up front, we're going to need a little bit more, this isn't a diploma factory.

While I'm sympathetic to a degree with MST's frustration, it's really the responsibility of the applicant to research the school to which they're applying. You're spending 200k and three years, it behooves you to do a little research. If you look into it, and you don't like the ED/YP/"why UVA"/deferral/in-state/etc admissions paradigm.... don't apply.

That being said, moar rage! Me likes.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Watch MST get in.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Watch MST get in.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 pm

canuck wrote:
IAFG wrote:
mst wrote:
IAFG wrote:okay i have had enough. less 0L entitlement, MOAR PUPPIES
Nobody asked you to come troll this thread. If you don't want to hear more 0l entitlement, then don't open the thread. It doesn't even require googling a picture.
mmm bite me i will troll your bullshit entitlement if i want. btw someone with your numbers ED'd NYU last year, didn't land it, and is now at NU AT STICKER HAHAHAHAHA
^This is just evil.

You all have valid points. UVA is doing what it thinks is best for itself and they have every right to do so. It probably isn't very fair to some of those that have paid their application fee and applied. In particular, it is not fair to do those who were ignorant to the benefits of writing a Why X essay and/or EDing. Alas, it is a reality and there is nothing any of us can do it about.
I am pretty sure we are all aware of the benefits of EDing (from undergrad admissions). I guess you could said that there is a bigger benefit in eding to UVA than other schools, but if we're talking about unfair advantage due to one group knowing more than the other through TLS or some other online resource, that is true for so many things about law school admissions. At least the idea of writing a supplemental essay or EDing isn't something that is wildly out of the blue-the first thing I did was check to see which schools wanted extra essays and if they didn't say anything, I just googled about Why UVA essays. I guess if someone didn't own a computer/internet they are really screwed then?
Also-not saying this part to you canuck-but the whole "have to suck up to a law firm during an interview" thing is pretty important. If you can only say that you want to work at a firm because of great qualities that you can find at another firm, how are you going to convince clients to go to you instead of any other firm?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:35 pm

ahduth wrote:
:lol: i will publicly apologize if that happens

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:41 pm

I hear some schools don't care about why essays though. I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple times Cornell doesn't care one way or another about a Why Cornell essay.

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm

pppokerface wrote:
I am pretty sure we are all aware of the benefits of EDing (from undergrad admissions). I guess you could said that there is a bigger benefit in eding to UVA than other schools, but if we're talking about unfair advantage due to one group knowing more than the other through TLS or some other online resource, that is true for so many things about law school admissions. At least the idea of writing a supplemental essay or EDing isn't something that is wildly out of the blue-the first thing I did was check to see which schools wanted extra essays and if they didn't say anything, I just googled about Why UVA essays. I guess if someone didn't own a computer/internet they are really screwed then?
OIC. This may be a cultural thing. In Canada we have no "EDing" and there aren't many supplemental essays either. For undergrad in particular, most schools take your high school grades, make a list and cut it when the class is full. I didn't even take the SATs.
Last edited by canuck on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:44 pm

oh god no :(

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
ahduth wrote:
:lol: i will publicly apologize if that happens
This thread=
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by pppokerface on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I hear some schools don't care about why essays though. I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple times Cornell doesn't care one way or another about a Why Cornell essay.
semi numbers twin-hey hows your cycle going?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:49 pm

pppokerface wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:I hear some schools don't care about why essays though. I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple times Cornell doesn't care one way or another about a Why Cornell essay.
semi numbers twin-hey hows your cycle going?
Didn't apply yet, waiting for LOR's to come in. Might send out reminder emails this week...should be getting apps out beginning of December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:24 pm

HeavenWood wrote:If I don't get into Penn (more like WHEN I don't get into Penn), I plan on EDing to UVA--somewhere between mid to late December. It seems most people in my #s range have had luck so far, but since I would be applying later in the process, would it be a good idea to add in a "why UVA"?
UVA is so oversubscribed they can get away with just tossing all apps that don't have a "Why UVA?" in the trash without even looking at them.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:25 pm

rayiner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:If I don't get into Penn (more like WHEN I don't get into Penn), I plan on EDing to UVA--somewhere between mid to late December. It seems most people in my #s range have had luck so far, but since I would be applying later in the process, would it be a good idea to add in a "why UVA"?
UVA is so oversubscribed they can get away with just tossing all apps that don't have a "Why UVA?" in the trash without even looking at them.
ED is enough

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 pm

mst wrote:If that's the case, oh well... If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative. I think that sounds like a very dumb way to put together a class that can compare to the other t10's in terms of quality, so lets hope its not true for everyones sake.
We don't want people like you here anyway, GTFO.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:33 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
mst wrote:If that's the case, oh well... If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative. I think that sounds like a very dumb way to put together a class that can compare to the other t10's in terms of quality, so lets hope its not true for everyones sake.
We don't want people like you here anyway, GTFO.
"Relative underachievers"... no love for the reverse/splitter crowd?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Def write Why UVA.. I didnt write one and Im now currently in the process of possibly getting YP'd by UVA. Im 99% sure I have a better chance at Harvard than I do at UVA.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 pm

More than any other school in the T14, and probably the country, admissions at UVA are based upon truly WANTING to attend the school. There is a very special culture and atmosphere that is present in every aspect of the school, and I would be willing to bet is not present at pretty much any other law school in the nation. This atmosphere and mentality is passed down from class to class because the students that come to school here truly wanted to and have bought into the "UVA culture." If you don't want to attend UVA and are just applying because it is in the T14, that's fine, but they aren't going to accept you. Now if you truly want to come here, and have a compelling story to tell and can articulate it in an essay, then by all means go ahead. However, if you can't the only way to truly show your commitment is by pulling the trigger on ED. There are over 7,000 applications each year, for only 220 out of state spots in the class, if you don't differentiate yourself somehow, you are going to get WL/Rejected. Just simple facts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm

UW2UVA wrote:I think this guy is a great example of what they mean when they say UVA is kind of a self-selecting class upon admission. Honestly, I don't think UVA would be the best choice for you man. I mean, if your goal is the best school you can go to, sure, come on in if this is the highest you get admitted to, but if you have other options at the same level, I think you should seriously consider them. No sarcasm or insult intended-just honesty. There are a few people in the class that I can picture saying exactly what you've been saying, and they aren't doing well here outside or inside of class for that matter (not saying you wont, just saying, think about it).
Seconded.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:More than any other school in the T14, and probably the country, admissions at UVA are based upon truly WANTING to attend the school. There is a very special culture and atmosphere that is present in every aspect of the school, and I would be willing to bet is not present at pretty much any other law school in the nation. This atmosphere and mentality is passed down from class to class because the students that come to school here truly wanted to and have bought into the "UVA culture."
This makes it sound like a cult. I thought schools were looking for diversity?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm

ahduth wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:More than any other school in the T14, and probably the country, admissions at UVA are based upon truly WANTING to attend the school. There is a very special culture and atmosphere that is present in every aspect of the school, and I would be willing to bet is not present at pretty much any other law school in the nation. This atmosphere and mentality is passed down from class to class because the students that come to school here truly wanted to and have bought into the "UVA culture."
More than that, is UVA full of people that second their own posts? It's harder to get douchier than that.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
Diversity meaning some people like the school and some don't? That doesn't really make sense.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”