Should I do a why UVA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:25 pm

[ITT: Trolls confuse TLS with AutoAdmit.]
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bostonian
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby bostonian » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I didn't write a Why UVA last year and got waitlisted despite assurances from everyone that they are really splitter friendly and that I should definitely get in with my 176/3.28. http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/. They waitlisted a ridiculous number of people last year. If they do it again, I'd think having a Why UVA might help.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 am

..

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 am

how bad do you want to go to uva? Do you have a compelling reason to go there, or just want to see if you can get in? Since you ED to a school, if you get into that school, you will be going there or not at all. You wrote a lot of Why X essays. If you really want to do one, cut and paste some things from other essays and modify them to uva. or just roll the dice. UVA is not your top choice, and it doesnt really seem that its in your top 3 ( you would have done the essay allready). Dont bother

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby ahduth » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Why is everyone in that graph waitlisted? I'm not exactly a splitter, although I'm under that 3.85 median GPA, I guess.

User avatar
oscodasa
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby oscodasa » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 pm

I did it and I honestly think it helped. I sat in on a question and answer session with the dean and he said that it was a good way for students who are serious about UVa to "raise their hand a little higher" without having to fully commit through ED.

That being said, I legitimately wanted to go to UVa in particular and wrote a sincere, heartfelt Why UVa statement full of specifics. If you don't really have a real reason why you want to go other than wanting to be anywhere in the T14, they can probably see through that fairly easily and it will hurt you more than help you.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 pm

I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:49 pm

mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...

i think your odds of admittance at UVA are very low in that case.

User avatar
eaglemuncher
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Does their application ask for a why U.Va? I saw the Mich specifically asks for one.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:18 am

IAFG wrote:
mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...

i think your odds of admittance at UVA are very low in that case.


Same. I mean my situation is the same, as my numbers are nearly identical (173/3.8ish) and no "Why UVA". I waited too long, too long indeed. I'd like to have the opportunity to go, but, being a worthless slob, I'm doing my applications at the last minute basically.

The impression I'd had was that of the MVP schools, Virginia was less stringent from a YP standpoint, but you're saying here that the class is virtually already filled up anyhow. Suppose there's always next year.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:43 am

ahduth wrote:
IAFG wrote:
mst wrote:I decided not to do a why UVA. The message in my personal statement pretty much tied into the exact reason I wanted to go there (aka it was a "balanced" environment to study law in") and I basically just tied that into my personal statement. It was easier to write half a page about that in my personal statement than to turn it into a page of bullhunky...

i think your odds of admittance at UVA are very low in that case.


Same. I mean my situation is the same, as my numbers are nearly identical (173/3.8ish) and no "Why UVA". I waited too long, too long indeed. I'd like to have the opportunity to go, but, being a worthless slob, I'm doing my applications at the last minute basically.

The impression I'd had was that of the MVP schools, Virginia was less stringent from a YP standpoint, but you're saying here that the class is virtually already filled up anyhow. Suppose there's always next year.

disagree completely that they YP less. my class, if you weren't above both medians (3.85 170) weren't in-state and didn't ED, you basically stood no chance. even if you were above both, it was a crapshoot.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby blink » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 am

wow, so splitters need ED or look elsewhere?

McDeere
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby McDeere » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:52 am

eaglemuncher wrote:Does their application ask for a why U.Va? I saw the Mich specifically asks for one.

UVA doesn't ask for one

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:53 am

blink wrote:wow, so splitters need ED or look elsewhere?

that is how it worked last cycle anyway. ED or perish. i haven't gotten the impression this cycle is much different. though it seems like a strong, convincing why UVA might be what got in the few RDs that did get in

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby blink » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 am

damn, good to know I guess

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 am

.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 pm

mst wrote:If that's the case, oh well... If UVA wants a class completely made up of Virginia residents and relative underachievers who are EDing to UVA simply for an easy way into the t10, that's there prerogative. I think that sounds like a very dumb way to put together a class that can compare to the other t10's in terms of quality, so lets hope its not true for everyones sake.

I agree that it's dumb and it was part of the reason why I didn't go, because it is so blatantly gaming the process. I think they were doing it to keep tighter control on their class size. It is pretty insulting of you to conflate a willingness to ED with underachieving. I am sure most people do it because UVA is sincerely their first choice. Nothing wrong with favoring people who love your school.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 pm

.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm not wrong but you should probably slow your roll. Some people just really want to go to UVA.

User avatar
pppokerface
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby pppokerface » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 pm

mst wrote:If people are EDing becuase they truly love the school and not because their numbers/softs aren't good enough to get them in regardless, then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason. If they are dumb enough to do that just for the sake of saying "Hey I like you but there's no reason to point this out because my numbers are on par anyways", there is absolutely no way I would want them to be my attorney... So for their sake, I hope you're wrong.

Image

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:31 pm

.
Last edited by mst on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:43 pm

mst wrote:If people are EDing becuase they truly love the school and not because their numbers/softs aren't good enough to get them in regardless, then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason. If they are dumb enough to do that just for the sake of saying "Hey I like you but there's no reason to point this out because my numbers are on par anyways", there is absolutely no way I would want them to be my attorney... So for their sake, I hope you're wrong.


I agree with the rest.

Having said that last cycle I had competative numbers, no Why Xs and got WL at all of the MVP. Not sure if it was YP or or not since my numbers were not CCN. I think its kinda pretentious for a school not to admit someone on account of not expressing special interest in them. What makes them think they are so special?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:00 pm

mst wrote:If people are EDing becuase they truly love the school and not because their numbers/softs aren't good enough to get them in regardless, then they are underachievers in the sense that they are making stupid decisions for absolutely no reason, considering this equates to basically giving up scholarship offers at comparable schools for absolutely no reason. If they are dumb enough to do that just for the sake of saying "Hey I like you but there's no reason to point this out because my numbers are on par anyways", there is absolutely no way I would want them to be my attorney... So for their sake, I hope you're wrong.


You're so fucked for 1L exams if your lazy ass is burnt out just from LS apps!

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 pm

mst wrote:I really don't see what wasn't "chill" about what I said...


IAFG wrote:I'm not wrong but you should probably slow your roll. Some people just really want to go to UVA.


And I'm not doubting that... I just think 1)they don't have the numbers that would get them in RD so they have to ED or 2)if they do and they ED, they are acting dumb because they are literally throwing away money.

There are not numbers that get you into UVA RD now that they keep such a tighter grip on enrollment and they aren't throwing money away bc UVA gives money to EDers with strong numbers. If you really wanted to go writing a "why UVA" would be easy; clearly you don't so why are you having a hissy fit.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Should I do a why UVA?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Ragged wrote:I think its kinda pretentious for a school not to admit someone on account of not expressing special interest in them. What makes them think they are so special?


Exactly where I was trying to go with this... Maybe its just me. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a school should screen for this? I don't know anymore. All I know is that I tried hard in college like I was supposed to, did a lot of soft stuff to prove I was a "leader" and innovative and motivated and stuff, wrote a decent PS and DS, and practiced my butt of for the LSAT, so that I could get into the best law school I possibly could get into. UVA is one of those tops schools because it places very well, has excellent professors, and gives out a great education... I don't have a particularly special interest in it aside from that. But I don't know why that has to be necessary.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests