Potentially devastating application mistake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LawLucy

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby LawLucy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:47 pm

pwyoung wrote:...you can't be serious.

+1

:idea:

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 pm

[/quote]PM me what state you're in, and I'll go ahead and report this to the Bar for you.[/quote]

I just laughed out loud repeatedly. hahahahaha

Slowmotion09

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Here's what I just noticed -

If you look at the bottom of your LSAC report, it lists your Degree Summary GPA and your Cumulative GPA. The former is from your degree granting institution and the later is your LSAC GPA.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 pm

I would just let it go. Are the schools going to ammend a withdrawn application?

Law school is filled with stressful situations and uncertainty. If you are this stressed out over the situation, it may be hard for you to get through it. Long-term, it is better to work on having more realistic thinking and finding ways to manage the anxiety than feed it.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:Here's what I just noticed -

If you look at the bottom of your LSAC report, it lists your Degree Summary GPA and your Cumulative GPA. The former is from your degree granting institution and the later is your LSAC GPA.

Dude. You got into your first choice school. You are 100%. As you said, your cycle is OVER. You should be making fun of the rest of us at this point. Jesus Christ some of you are high strung. If you people start freaking out like this in my classes, I'm seriously going to throw shit at you.

Edit: Specifically, I'm going to throw Valium at you. CHILL.
Last edited by ahduth on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:Here's what I just noticed -

sweets. if you are for real, you have GOT to stop obsessing and actually TAKE the advice you have been given. You have been given some solid ideas to chill out. you have not done that and are STILL obsessively perusing the gpa crap.
me thinks anxiety is the least of your worries.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:01 pm

You should put the 3.8.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 pm

This isn't a game-changing mistake. I would be more worried about C&F not admitting you to the bar for your diagnosed mental health issues than this mistake. Worst case scenario, IF this happens to bring up a red flag, you can explain to them the same story that you just told us. The worst that could happen as I see it is your entrance to the bar is delayed.

Postby 2807 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:29 pm

When you get in school make sure you pay attention to the chapter on "intent."

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Slowmotion09 wrote:I should also note that while the first app did ask me for my undergrad, its address, and my cumulative, the other app just simply asked for my undergraduate GPA.

If I were you, I would send each school a letter stating that you may have misunderstood the question and that you want to make it clear that your LSAC GPA differs from the GPA on your transcripts. List all the relevant GPAs, including LSAC's calculation. Let the schools know that you are disclosing for character & fitness purposes, and then leave it at that. It's not a big deal, but if you feel that your answer has created a misunderstanding, just correct it and move on.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that there is a chance this could make matters worse?

No

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Is there a cliff version of this!?!?!? I'm not reading the OP

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 am

HopefulFish wrote:Is there a cliff version of this!?!?!? I'm not reading the OP

it is actually quite painful, so I don't blame you. I will be surprised if this person makes it past being a 1L

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 am

LawLucy wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:Is there a cliff version of this!?!?!? I'm not reading the OP

it is actually quite painful, so I don't blame you. I will be surprised if this person makes it past being a 1L

Hate to break it to you, but some of the opinions you read as a 1L will make the original post look pleasant and cogent.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:11 am

jesus I thought I freaked out over stupid sh*t! drink a beer and chill the ef out. you're already in at the school you want to go to. They saw your school numbers. They saw your LSAC numbers. You didn't hide anything from them. Maybe try volunteering with abused children you need something real to freak out over.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 am

mala2 wrote:jesus I thought I freaked out over stupid sh*t! drink a beer and chill the ef out. you're already in at the school you want to go to. They saw your school numbers. They saw your LSAC numbers. You didn't hide anything from them. Maybe try volunteering with abused children you need something real to freak out over.

fuckinA...well said
+1

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 am

To OP: You'll be fine. Trust me. If you really feel it will help you relax, you could take JazzOne's advice. I don't think that's necessary, but I also think it is a completely harmless step you could take if you like the idea, and it has absolutely NO potential for negative consequences.

As for the people being insulting, or acting indignant that this situation made somebody anxious: OP is obviously seriously concerned about this, and he/she mentioned diagnosed mental health issues that can lead to this sort of anxiety. Thinking somebody with an anxiety disorder just needs to essentially buck up or needs to spend time with abused children or something to gain perspective is both callous and misguided. Have some empathy... we all have our crosses to bear, and the time will come (if it hasn't already) when you will want other people to help and understand you instead of thinking you are irrational, brought it on yourself, etc. Your problem may not be anxiety, but that doesn't make anxiety any less of a "real" problem.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:48 am

Slowmotion09 wrote:These posts are very reasuring. FIW, I can assure you this is not a flame.

The reason I'm concerned is that we have all signed contracts, and many of them say that inadvertantly putting wrong info can get you in trouble. I feel like I've just dug myself in deeper by contacting the schools. I'm diagnosed with GAD, so it's sometimes hard to determine whether or not I'm being irrational.

Let me clue you in then. You are being irrational. Are we really talking about a .01 GPA error on a withdrawn? This is not an issue of character. It is a TINY, TINY, TINY mistake.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:06 am

Holy dog shit.. Op, you've made my day..

I can just see it now:

OP: Your honor, I've filed this emergency oreder to show cause to bring an urgent matter before the Court.
Court: Go ahead counselor.
OP: Your honor, there is a drastic error in our original moving papers filed a year and a half ago on the motion to dismiss you granted on behalf of my client against the bankrupted plaintiff shell corporation that has not been located since this case was commenced back in 1999.
Court: Ok counselor, I'm listening.
OP: Well it seems, when December 9th of this year rolled around and I started my twice yearly review of all my closed files to audit same and make sure EVERYTHING is in order, that when we originally moved to dismiss, we use a red colored page on the back of our moving papers.
Court: I'm not following you counselor.
Op: Well judge, the CPLR clearly required that we use a blue color page. I investigated the matter and learned that our paralegal had run out of blue paper and without consulting me, used red paper instead. As such, the motion was not in compliance with the CPLR, and thus it should have been denied and my client should have been directed to answer the complaint. That said, we hereby request, in the interest of justice, that your order dismissing the case be set aside, nunc pro tunc, and that a default judgment be entered against my client for failure to answer the complaint.
Court: (saying and thinking the very same thing TLS is thinking about OP); Get the fuck out of my court room counselor and never come back.

The moral of the story... Stop being a lunatic op. Just forget it. This is by far the most absurd thing I've heard on here in quite some time and that is saying a whole lot. Jazzone is right.. You should be reported to the bar.. But not for a character violation.. Simply because you're clearly too bat shit crazy to practice law.

In all seriousness op, a lot of being a lawyer centers around staying reasonable and have a rational perspective when your client or your oposition has lost their fucking mind. A "devastating application mistake" is when you actually submit your research paper on how Hitler was a pretty cool guy to the adcoms of 4 law schools. What you have going on does not even qualify as a minor error.

CryingMonkey

Postby CryingMonkey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:18 pm

reasonable_man wrote: A "devastating application mistake" is when you actually submit your research paper on how Hitler was a pretty cool guy to the adcoms of 4 law schools.

I LOLd in my office. Thanks.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:24 pm

To play a voice of mitigation: OP is obviously concerned about the bar freaking out over what it could see as a fraudulent entry on OP's law school application. This isn't a trifling concern, at least at its heart. If the bar examiner is having a bad day, or is a real asshole, or doesn't buy OP's story, he/she could indeed cause problems for OP's entrance to the bar. Not good.

HOWEVER, while this may actually come up during the bar's review of your file, it won't be the end of the world. I know lawyers who failed to report a youthful mishap, or even an adult mishap which they didn't believe was relevant due to extenuating circumstances. The bar reviewer did indeed call them out on it, listened to their explanation, and then said "ok" and went on.

OP, write up an explanation explaining your concerns and the events as you recall them, save it in a folder marked "for the bar" and get on with your law school career. Four years from now after you've passed the bar, print it out and have it with you on the very off chance that the examiner will have a copy of some of your withdrawn applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”