Potentially devastating application mistake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:04 pm

First, let me say that I apologize for the long post, but it is necessary that I get all the details in. I'm in a very precarious situation that has literally been keeping me up at night.

My cycle is completely over with. I applied early decision to my top choice and was accepted. I was going through my applications on LSAC while withdrawing from each school, and I noticed a couple potentially fatal oversights. None of these oversights were on the application of the school that I applied ED. They were only on apps that I had withdrawn from or were going to withdraw from.

As many of you are aware, many schools ask for your GPA on their application using different language (i.e. undergraduate, cumulative, degree granting. etc.).

On one school's application, I was asked for the name of my undergraduate college, its address, my graduation date, and right next to it, my cumulative GPA. I put down my cumulative GPA from my college, which is significantly higher than my LSAC cumulative (I went to three schools). It did not even occur to me that they might want my LSAC cumulative. The possibility that they were asking for my LSAC GPA concerned me so much that I contacted the admissions office. I asked whether they wanted my LSAC GPA or my university GPA. The person responded by saying they wanted my undergraduate GPA, which I took to mean my university GPA. I explained to the person that I just wanted to make sure they didn't think I was misleading them or anything. Now, I'm wondering if she meant my LSAC GPA. Additionally, she seemed to think it was kind of unusual that I was asking about an application that I was withdrawing from.

Another application asked for my undergraduate GPA. Again, I put down my GPA that I graduated with. When I called this admissions office, I was told that they wanted my cumulative (whatever that is).

To make matters worse, I noticed that LSAC had made a mistake on my LSAC report by putting my undergraduate GPA (not LSAC GPA) at 3.80 and not 3.81 - The latter is correct and is what I wrote down on my apps. This is obviously LSAC's fault, but I'm worried if this will raise a red flag to adcomms who will have further reason to think I was being underhanded.

Usually, I am a very thorough person who does not make mistakes like this. Furthermore, I am extremely honest. I would never intentionally mislead anyone. I'm concerned that these mistakes will result in denial with the Bar or my ED offer being rescinded. I was so excited to have been accepted at my top choice, but that was only able to last a couple days when I noticed these errors. I don't know if I should contact the Bar. I don't even know if I should rethink law school. I'm just completely devastated right now. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby pwyoung » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:10 pm

...you can't be serious.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:First, let me say that I apologize for the long post, but it is necessary that I get all the details in. I'm in a very precarious situation that has literally been keeping me up at night.

My cycle is completely over with. I applied early decision to my top choice and was accepted. I was going through my applications on LSAC while withdrawing from each school, and I noticed a couple potentially fatal oversights. None of these oversights were on the application of the school that I applied ED. They were only on apps that I had withdrawn from or were going to withdraw from.

As many of you are aware, many schools ask for your GPA on their application using different language (i.e. undergraduate, cumulative, degree granting. etc.).

On one school's application, I was asked for the name of my undergraduate college, its address, my graduation date, and right next to it, my cumulative GPA. I put down my cumulative GPA from my college, which is significantly higher than my LSAC cumulative (I went to three schools). It did not even occur to me that they might want my LSAC cumulative. The possibility that they were asking for my LSAC GPA concerned me so much that I contacted the admissions office. I asked whether they wanted my LSAC GPA or my university GPA. The person responded by saying they wanted my undergraduate GPA, which I took to mean my university GPA. I explained to the person that I just wanted to make sure they didn't think I was misleading them or anything. Now, I'm wondering if she meant my LSAC GPA. Additionally, she seemed to think it was kind of unusual that I was asking about an application that I was withdrawing from.

Another application asked for my undergraduate GPA. Again, I put down my GPA that I graduated with. When I called this admissions office, I was told that they wanted my cumulative (whatever that is).

To make matters worse, I noticed that LSAC had made a mistake on my LSAC report by putting my undergraduate GPA (not LSAC GPA) at 3.80 and not 3.81 - The latter is correct and is what I wrote down on my apps. This is obviously LSAC's fault, but I'm worried if this will raise a red flag to adcomms who will have further reason to think I was being underhanded.

Usually, I am a very thorough person who does not make mistakes like this. Furthermore, I am extremely honest. I would never intentionally mislead anyone. I'm concerned that these mistakes will result in denial with the Bar or my ED offer being rescinded. I was so excited to have been accepted at my top choice, but that was only able to last a couple days when I noticed these errors. I don't know if I should contact the Bar. I don't even know if I should rethink law school. I'm just completely devastated right now. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

PM me what state you're in, and I'll go ahead and report this to the Bar for you.

User avatar
samfii
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby samfii » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 pm

reading this post gave me anxiety.
that being said, I think you might be freaking out unnecessarily.

JazzOne wrote:PM me what state you're in, and I'll go ahead and report this to the Bar for you.


....hahahahaha

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 pm

This is so dumb it must be a troll.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Textbook case of how to fail the character and fitness portion of the bar.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby thecilent » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 pm

:roll:
Last edited by thecilent on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

............ :roll:

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm

These posts are very reasuring. FIW, I can assure you this is not a flame.

The reason I'm concerned is that we have all signed contracts, and many of them say that inadvertantly putting wrong info can get you in trouble. I feel like I've just dug myself in deeper by contacting the schools. I'm diagnosed with GAD, so it's sometimes hard to determine whether or not I'm being irrational.

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

I should also note that while the first app did ask me for my undergrad, its address, and my cumulative, the other app just simply asked for my undergraduate GPA.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:These posts are very reasuring. FIW, I can assure you this is not a flame.

The reason I'm concerned is that we have all signed contracts, and many of them say that inadvertantly putting wrong info can get you in trouble. I feel like I've just dug myself in deeper by contacting the schools. I'm diagnosed with GAD, so it's sometimes hard to determine whether or not I'm being irrational.

I haven't submitted apps yet but I am almost 100% positive that INADVERTENTLY putting the wrong info is not what can get you in trouble. Contracts like that say that you are assuring that to the best of your knowledge the information you are putting down is correct. To the best of your knowledge (at the time) what you put on the app was correct. You're also ED at a school and have withdrawn your apps. You're fine. hth.

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:36 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Slowmotion09 wrote:These posts are very reasuring. FIW, I can assure you this is not a flame.

The reason I'm concerned is that we have all signed contracts, and many of them say that inadvertantly putting wrong info can get you in trouble. I feel like I've just dug myself in deeper by contacting the schools. I'm diagnosed with GAD, so it's sometimes hard to determine whether or not I'm being irrational.

I haven't submitted apps yet but I am almost 100% positive that INADVERTENTLY putting the wrong info is not what can get you in trouble. Contracts like that say that you are assuring that to the best of your knowledge the information you are putting down is correct. To the best of your knowledge (at the time) what you put on the app was correct. You're also ED at a school and have withdrawn your apps. You're fine. hth.



On one app in particular it says that even inadvertant infor can cause problems.

I really shouldn't have contacted schools, but I couldn't restrain myself. It was really the only thing I could think about all day. Because of the way all of you are acting, I'm worried my nueroticism will make me appear sketchy.
Last edited by Slowmotion09 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Grab a beer, relax.

This isn't devastating at all and there is not much you can do about it at this point so stop worrying.

If it somehow does tank you (which it won't), you can always reapply next year.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Slowmotion09 wrote:I should also note that while the first app did ask me for my undergrad, its address, and my cumulative, the other app just simply asked for my undergraduate GPA.

If I were you, I would send each school a letter stating that you may have misunderstood the question and that you want to make it clear that your LSAC GPA differs from the GPA on your transcripts. List all the relevant GPAs, including LSAC's calculation. Let the schools know that you are disclosing for character & fitness purposes, and then leave it at that. It's not a big deal, but if you feel that your answer has created a misunderstanding, just correct it and move on.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

What schools did you apply to? I've applied to 11 schools and have yet to see anything about cumulative GPA. They often ask for UG name, location, degree, major, and graduation year.

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:41 pm

bk1 wrote:Grab a beer, relax.

This isn't devastating at all and there is not much you can do about it at this point so stop worrying.

If it somehow does tank you (which it won't), you can always reapply next year.


It would obviously be terrible to have my offer rescinded, it would be 10000000X worse to get rejected to the bar with 100k in debt.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5834
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm sure the bar has better things to do than dig up your withdrawn applications from 3 years prior...

As long as everything on your ED app is fine, you are fine.

I imagine you have issues with being obsessive compulsive and are an extremely anxious person.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:This is so dumb it must be a troll.

How does being a d-bag come so naturally to you?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:43 pm

C&F is worried about serious mistakes.

If you really think it's a big deal, do what JazzOne suggested.

In the end though, you should still grab a drink and relax.

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:43 pm

2014 wrote:I'm sure the bar has better things to do than dig up your withdrawn applications from 3 years prior...

As long as everything on your ED app is fine, you are fine.

I imagine you have issues with being obsessive compulsive and are an extremely anxious person.


Everything on my ED app is completely perfect.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby thecilent » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 pm

JOThompson wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:This is so dumb it must be a troll.

How does being a d-bag come so naturally to you?


In his/her defense: this is pretty dumb.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby sarahh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Worrying about it does not change anything. You cannot go back and ammend the withdrawn applications. And I don't think this will create any problems anyway. It was an innocent mistake. You did not put down a random number - you put your GPA from your school. I bet a lot of people make that mistake. I believe the bar usually only looks at the application from the school you went to, but even if they look at the others, you can very easily explain it. Same if the schools you withdrew from notified your school, which won't happen. Why would they look at your application now that you have withdrawn?

Go out and celebrate your acceptance!

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:45 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Slowmotion09 wrote:I should also note that while the first app did ask me for my undergrad, its address, and my cumulative, the other app just simply asked for my undergraduate GPA.

If I were you, I would send each school a letter stating that you may have misunderstood the question and that you want to make it clear that your LSAC GPA differs from the GPA on your transcripts. List all the relevant GPAs, including LSAC's calculation. Let the schools know that you are disclosing for character & fitness purposes, and then leave it at that. It's not a big deal, but if you feel that your answer has created a misunderstanding, just correct it and move on.



Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that there is a chance this could make matters worse?

Slowmotion09
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby Slowmotion09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 pm

sarahh wrote:Worrying about it does not change anything. You cannot go back and ammend the withdrawn applications. And I don't think this will create any problems anyway. It was an innocent mistake. You did not put down a random number - you put your GPA from your school. I bet a lot of people make that mistake. I believe the bar usually only looks at the application from the school you went to, but even if they look at the others, you can very easily explain it. Same if the schools you withdrew from notified your school, which won't happen. Why would they look at your application now that you have withdrawn?
Go out and celebrate your acceptance!


I was concerned they would contact LSAC.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Potentially devastating application mistake

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:47 pm

thecilent wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:This is so dumb it must be a troll.

How does being a d-bag come so naturally to you?


In his/her defense: this is pretty dumb.

C&F is serious business, so it's better to lean on the side of caution. Probably nothing to worry about, like most others have said. Still, if the OP is losing sleep over it, he should be proactive.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], trooper10538 and 6 guests