Got scholarship -- let other schools know?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jakesterber

Got scholarship -- let other schools know?

Postby jakesterber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

longtime lurker's first time post/question.
I received admission and scholarship $$ from a T15 school. Is it advised to contact other top choice schools (some T10, some T20) to let them know you received this offer but remain interested in their school? On one hand it seems like it would be a good way to show interest, but on the other hand it might seem presumtuous. What do wise TLSers recommend?

Curry

Re: Got scholarship -- let other schools know?

Postby Curry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 pm

1) UCLA?

2) wait till you get acceptances from other school. Then start talking money.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 pm

It's only useful to talk about other school's scholarships when you're trying to bargain for more aid. So, no. Don't.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:46 pm

You to bargain with the Admissions committee, or e-mail financial aid right away?

jakesterber

Postby jakesterber » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Admissions committee, not financial aid. I didn't mean I would contact them to ask them for $ too before I'm even admitted. I meant letting them know in case it would make my application more, well, "desirable" (for lack of a better word...)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 pm

No, as it may make you less desirable & easier to reject.

ejeric

Postby ejeric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Why would it make them easier to reject? I agree it might send the wrong message, but I don't think it'll make the poster less desirable....

I would say it would depend on the school, but if it makes you wonder I'd lean toward not doing anything for now.
Congratulations though! That's quite early.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 pm

ejeric wrote:Why would it make them easier to reject? I agree it might send the wrong message, but I don't think it'll make the poster less desirable....

I would say it would depend on the school, but if it makes you wonder I'd lean toward not doing anything for now.
Congratulations though! That's quite early.

No.

"Hi you haven't made a decision on my app but this other school that is kinda your peer school is throwing me buttloads of money so be jealous and let me in" <--- Doesn't sound good to any school.

Showing schools who have already admitted you/offered you some money other scholarship offers is beneficial because you already know they want you. Telling a school that hasn't told you they want you that you have possibly better options will not help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”