Georgetown: Uh-Oh

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jage2

Georgetown: Uh-Oh

Postby Jage2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:23 pm

So I think I blundered on my Georgetown app. The minimum requirement for LoR is one, so I kind of assumed that anything beyond the first would be superfluous. That's basically the rhetoric I've been hearing at admissions panels with T-14 schools; they'll accept more than the required amount, but you should have a pretty good reason for submitting them.

Anyway, here I am, waiting for my second LoR to go through (it's in the mail). Last night, not knowing that it was in the mail, and hence will be processed in about a week, I decided to pull the trigger on the Georgetown app with only one recommendation. Now I'm starting to doubt that I made the right decision. How much will this negatively impact my decision? Is it possible to explain my situation and retroactively add the second letter when it gets through, or should I not even bother?

My stats are 3.53/171 so by no means am I a shoe-in at GULC. Thanks!

s0ph1e2007

Re: Georgetown: Uh-Oh

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Jage2 wrote:So I think I blundered on my Georgetown app. The minimum requirement for LoR is one, so I kind of assumed that anything beyond the first would be superfluous. That's basically the rhetoric I've been hearing at admissions panels with T-14 schools; they'll accept more than the required amount, but you should have a pretty good reason for submitting them.

Anyway, here I am, waiting for my second LoR to go through (it's in the mail). Last night, not knowing that it was in the mail, and hence will be processed in about a week, I decided to pull the trigger on the Georgetown app with only one recommendation. Now I'm starting to doubt that I made the right decision. How much will this negatively impact my decision? Is it possible to explain my situation and retroactively add the second letter when it gets through, or should I not even bother?

My stats are 3.53/171 so by no means am I a shoe-in at GULC. Thanks!

You can email them and inform them you would like them to hold for your second letter of recommendation. (ask politely) they might say no. But either way, it's unlikely they'll make a decision quickly enough to not receive and review your second letter.

FYI most people submit three recs to schools. Two is fine though.

mr_toad

Re: Georgetown: Uh-Oh

Postby mr_toad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 pm

It's probably true that most people submit three, although I've also heard of people recommending saving the third for a waitlist addition. Georgetown recommends one, and I don't think they're trying to fool you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Texas requires two while recommending three; I submitted two and was accepted within two weeks of applying. As long as you hit the minimum required, I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just my two cents.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”