Business admin major before law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ivan91

Business admin major before law school

Postby Ivan91 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:10 am

Do you think that major is appropriate ?I find the subject really interesting and believe I can do very well in it. However, I am not entirely convinced that law school admission officers will like it.

ahduth

Re: Business admin major before law school

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 am

Ivan91 wrote:Do you think that major is appropriate ?I find the subject really interesting and believe I can do very well in it. However, I am not entirely convinced that law school admission officers will like it.

Your major really does not matter very much at all from the standpoint of the adcom "liking it." Where it will be of benefit is by allowing you to gain substantive work experience after undergraduate. Two years at a bank, or with a consulting or accounting firm, will be a plus with admissions deans. More importantly, it will be a very big plus with law firm hiring committees. There will be people straight out of undergraduate interviewing at OCI, and their lack of work experience will be obvious.

Also, if you're a freshmen, you're in the wrong forum, asking the wrong question. Get drunk, get laid, et cetera, et cetera. If you don't know the drill, THAT'S what you should be worried about right now.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:26 am

ahduth wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:Do you think that major is appropriate ?I find the subject really interesting and believe I can do very well in it. However, I am not entirely convinced that law school admission officers will like it.

Your major really does not matter very much at all from the standpoint of the adcom "liking it." Where it will be of benefit is by allowing you to gain substantive work experience after undergraduate. Two years at a bank, or with a consulting or accounting firm, will be a plus with admissions deans. More importantly, it will be a very big plus with law firm hiring committees. There will be people straight out of undergraduate interviewing at OCI, and their lack of work experience will be obvious.

Also, if you're a freshmen, you're in the wrong forum, asking the wrong question. Get drunk, get laid, et cetera, et cetera. If you don't know the drill, THAT'S what you should be worried about right now.

x2. Also what is with these youngins who think they know that law school is exactly what the want before they've even started college? I'm not saying you are one - this is just a general observation about an increasing trend I feel is occuring on TLS. It's depressing the shit out of me.

Ivan91

Postby Ivan91 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:31 pm

The problem is that if I don`t have a long-term goal, such as attending HYS , I won`t bother studying as I won`t be motivated to do so :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Ivan91 wrote:The problem is that if I don`t have a long-term goal, such as attending HYS , I won`t bother studying as I won`t be motivated to do so :)

Ivey guide says that all else equal law schools prefer majors that are not pre-professional and which require extensive writing. So, if you are at the tail end of consideration for H you might get edged out by a liberal arts major.

Use your free time to develop a lot of amazing softs if you really want Y or S.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Ivan91 wrote:The problem is that if I don`t have a long-term goal, such as attending HYS , I won`t bother studying as I won`t be motivated to do so :)

Yeah... you're looking like prime YHS material right about now... :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”