What makes the difference on borderline Columbia ED cases?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lovely Ludwig Van

What makes the difference on borderline Columbia ED cases?

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:31 am

Being below median on LSAT but above 75th on GPA, I would be quite interested to hear what people think. Is it softs alone? PS? LOR? Those who have gotten in via ED in the past, mind sharing?

whymeohgodno

Re: What makes the difference on borderline Columbia ED cases?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Being below median on LSAT but above 75th on GPA, I would be quite interested to hear what people think. Is it softs alone? PS? LOR? Those who have gotten in via ED in the past, mind sharing?

This all depends on how far below median for LSAT and how far above 75th for GPA.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Being below median on LSAT but above 75th on GPA, I would be quite interested to hear what people think. Is it softs alone? PS? LOR? Those who have gotten in via ED in the past, mind sharing?

This all depends on how far below median for LSAT and how far above 75th for GPA.

170 (1st), 3.92.

Like I said, very borderline, trying to get every bit of information possible so if I get rejected, I don't feel like jumping over a bridge.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 am

The usual borderline case I see for Columbia consists of a GPA around 3.5 and an LSAT around 175. If one of these drops, then the other must rise to maintain the classification of "borderline" (but keep in mind that a school like Columbia has floors, so don't expect a 2.5/180 to get in, or a 4.0/160). Your case illustrates this very well: your GPA is higher, but your LSAT is lower. If you ED'd to Columbia, you'd probably have a slightly lesser chance for admittance than a 3.5/175 applicant (due to the fact that Columbia seems to like higher LSATs), which, by the way, is about 50% according to LSN and LSP. The difference between a yay and a nay probably depends on the quality of the other applicants in the particular cycle in question, the reasons why either your GPA or LSAT are not both high enough, if you have impressive softs, and how awesome your PS is.

Btw, out of curiosity, have you ED'd to Columbia already? You probably already know, but the deadline is today for mailing the contract and for submitting your primary app. If you did, I think it was more of a gamble than ED'ing to NYU, but still not unreasonable.

MW

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 am

I'm in the same boat, 3.82 171. After obsessing over LSN I have decided that it's not too likely that someone with our numbers would get rejected straight out, but more likely that we will be on the waiting list. Therefore if I do get rejected straigt out, I will feel like jumping off a bridge.

But I still think there is hope, especially with ED.

Well good luck to us!!

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Me too 3.96 and 170 (retake from 167) ED

Let's hope their standards have slipped just a wee little bit. I don't have too much hope.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”