Resume gap? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FlamingCow

Bronze

Resume gap?

Post by FlamingCow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:03 pm

I returned home from the Peace Corps in April, and it took me until September to find and start a new job (after a combination of seeing friends and family I hadn't seen in a couple years, and actually getting the process under way). Some apps ask for clarification about lapses on your resume. Would this qualify as a gap I need to address specifically?

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Resume gap?

Post by JJDancer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm curious as to what apps require explanations of gaps on resume. I know they ask about gap during UG or if you paused your edu for one semester or longer.

Sorry I can't actually answer your question.

Flett

Bronze

Re: Resume gap?

Post by Flett » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 pm

I came across a few applications that asked this question too. I have a 4 1/2 month gap in my resume between graduating and getting a job, so the question definitely stood out to me. However, I did not write an explanation.

Personally, I don't think either of our situations constitute the type of gap that they would require an explanation for. It's just not long enough imo. More than 6 months, maybe. More than a year, likely. But I think a 5 month gap, especially having just returned from the Peace Corps, is excusable.

Even if this did require an explanation I imagine that it would be pretty simple and short.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”