Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
NYC_7911
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I applied ED to NYU, and think (hope!!) I have a decent shot with a 3.5x/177. Is it a bad idea to wait until I hear back from NYU to submit my apps to Penn, NU and GULC? (I've already submitted RD at CLS). I imagine it wouldn't hurt my chances of getting in at those schools, but is it possible that applying later in the cycle (end of December at the latest) would decrease any chances of scholarship money? Thanks!

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby glitter178 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 pm

submit now. don't take any chances.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Shouldn't you have fee waivers to most of those schools? Why not apply?

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby MysticalWheel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:I applied ED to NYU, and think (hope!!) I have a decent shot with a 3.5x/177. Is it a bad idea to wait until I hear back from NYU to submit my apps to Penn, NU and GULC? (I've already submitted RD at CLS). I imagine it wouldn't hurt my chances of getting in at those schools, but is it possible that applying later in the cycle (end of December at the latest) would decrease any chances of scholarship money? Thanks!


With those numbers, you should have ED'd to Columbia. But on the plus side, you're now at about 90% at NYU.

MW

User avatar
NYC_7911
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:16 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Shouldn't you have fee waivers to most of those schools? Why not apply?


No dice on any of them. Got one from CLS, and requested them from GULC, NU and Penn, to no avail. I was hoping to save the app fees, but obviously I won't use that reason if there is a general sense that end of December is late enough in the game to have possible negative consequences.

User avatar
NYC_7911
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby NYC_7911 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
With those numbers, you should have ED'd to Columbia. But on the plus side, you're now at about 90% at NYU.

MW


I thought about doing that, but in the end, the fact is that I prefer NYU. For a variety of reasons, but basically I want to do PI and am interested in environmental law, and felt that NYU was a better fit for me.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm

You probably won't hear back for a month and it is worth submitting your apps now rather than Dec 15 even if you lose 300 bucks over it.

EDIT: I do think you are a lock at NYU ED though.
Last edited by JJDancer on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Risky to wait for ED decision to submit other apps?

Postby trudat15 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

You're pretty much a lock at NYU ED with those numbers. I would say it's fine, since I think you're a lock at NYU, but it depends on how risk averse you are.

If you want to go the safe route, apply now with NU, GULC, and Penn and whoever else you dont get a FW from. THough that $300 buys a lot of tequila. I'm just saying.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crookedsmile, studyingeveryday and 7 guests