Acceptance Call Conversation Awkward

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HowdyYall

Acceptance Call Conversation Awkward

Postby HowdyYall » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Just had my second awkward acceptance call conversation. I think Im just really bad about getting compliments or taking good news haha. What does everyone else talk about in these conversations with the dean?

Kchuck

Re: Acceptance Call Conversation Awkward

Postby Kchuck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm

When I got my acceptance call from Alabama, the lady's voice reminded me of Paula Deen. So that kind of made me feel less threatened/awkward.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Kchuck wrote:When I got my acceptance call from Alabama, the lady's voice reminded me of Paula Deen. So that kind of made me feel less threatened/awkward.

hahahaha I want to apply to Alabama now

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm

HowdyYall wrote:Just had my second awkward acceptance call conversation. I think Im just really bad about getting compliments or taking good news haha. What does everyone else talk about in these conversations with the dean?

You're in already, don't worry about it.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm

I got the call to my cell phone in a dead zone. I had to hang up on the lady and try to return the call.

Oh well, they aren't going to not accept you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

This doesn't relate to admissions acceptances, but all my, "we want to make you a job offer" calls were really really awkward (I'm a 2L). I'm not good at getting excited or accepting praise either, so they were always confused about what I wanted lol. I had one firm that I actually accepted at call me a month later and tell me that they'd been replaying the conversation in their heads, and they weren't sure if I had actually accepted or not.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:This doesn't relate to admissions acceptances, but all my, "we want to make you a job offer" calls were really really awkward (I'm a 2L). I'm not good at getting excited or accepting praise either, so they were always confused about what I wanted lol. I had one firm that I actually accepted at call me a month later and tell me that they'd been replaying the conversation in their heads, and they weren't sure if I had actually accepted or not.

LOL

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Mine was SO awkward! He said I graduated from his favorite university (well, I applied where I went to undergrad, makes sense) with his favorite GPA. Really, a 3.8 is your favorite? I'd prefer a 4.0 but to each his own :) Anyway I just kind of nervously laughed (Let me get off the phone so I can call my dad with the news, c'mooon!)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I got the call, he identified himself, and then asked me to hold on for a second. I heard a ruffling of pages, and then he continued on. It was pretty awkward. I was also hoping he'd be saying something about scholarships which he never said. :/

ZachOda

Postby ZachOda » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Ragged wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:This doesn't relate to admissions acceptances, but all my, "we want to make you a job offer" calls were really really awkward (I'm a 2L). I'm not good at getting excited or accepting praise either, so they were always confused about what I wanted lol. I had one firm that I actually accepted at call me a month later and tell me that they'd been replaying the conversation in their heads, and they weren't sure if I had actually accepted or not.

LOL

That's awesome

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm

ZachOda wrote:
Ragged wrote:

LOL

That's awesome

so did you acccept or not? How did that conversation go?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 am

northwood wrote:
ZachOda wrote:
Ragged wrote:

LOL

That's awesome

so did you acccept or not? How did that conversation go?

I did accept. I got the offer without doing a callback, and I guess I just didn't seem very excited about the whole situation. I think I said something like "oh that's cool, I look forward to it. Thanks." Which was my way of saying yes I want to work for you, but they didn't know that lol. The issue is that I'm just generally very nonchalant about things. I'd say things like "oh that's great, thanks so much," and a lot of firms would think I was accepting on the spot, so I had to explain to them that I was happy but needed time to think.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”