Big law is ballin', but...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:45 pm

CastleRock wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

Rule #1 as a douchebag: Never layoff, even when a guy has obviously had enough.

Rule #1 as a pear: make a rule.

That rule seems to fulfill it's own requirements, making it self-fulfilling.

Yep, it just can't fail.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 am

I've been lurking in this online psyche ward for a while now and I want to ask a question. Why do you people think the attrition rate is high enough in big firms to absorb essentially whole classes from most of the top schools in the country each year? If biglaw rules so much, don't you think more people would stay in it? The fact is 90% of you won't get beyond your fifth year as associates, and you'll wind up with some relatively boring in-house job making very average money down the line. Also, corporate attorneys take directions from fucking 23 year old investment bankers at 2 in the morning - that's not balling. What a pathetic way to look at the world.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:10 am

HamDel wrote:I've been lurking in this online psyche ward for a while now and I want to ask a question. Why do you people think the attrition rate is high enough in big firms to absorb essentially whole classes from most of the top schools in the country each year? If biglaw rules so much, don't you think more people would stay in it? The fact is 90% of you won't get beyond your fifth year as associates, and you'll wind up with some relatively boring in-house job making very average money down the line. Also, corporate attorneys take directions from fucking 23 year old investment bankers at 2 in the morning - that's not balling. What a pathetic way to look at the world.

Hey everybody, this guy just solved the problem.

Somebody fucking call Ken and get this forum shut down. There just isn't a point anymore!

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:20 am

ResolutePear wrote:
HamDel wrote:I've been lurking in this online psyche ward for a while now and I want to ask a question. Why do you people think the attrition rate is high enough in big firms to absorb essentially whole classes from most of the top schools in the country each year? If biglaw rules so much, don't you think more people would stay in it? The fact is 90% of you won't get beyond your fifth year as associates, and you'll wind up with some relatively boring in-house job making very average money down the line. Also, corporate attorneys take directions from fucking 23 year old investment bankers at 2 in the morning - that's not balling. What a pathetic way to look at the world.

Somebody fucking call Ken and get this forum shut down. There just isn't a point anymore!

You're a loser, enjoy being of counsel.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:20 am

ResolutePear wrote:

If you think this is a psych ward you should head over and check out Arkham

Edited for derp
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:25 am

Do you mean psyche ward or psych ward?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 am

Renzo wrote:Do you mean psyche ward or psych ward?
I'd like to claim I was subtly trolling, but in reality I wasn't paying attention and just copied off Dr. Inestine up there.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:47 am

HamDel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

lulz.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:49 am

HamDel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Someone needs a hug.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:52 am

beachbum wrote:
HamDel wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Someone needs a hug.

Funny you should mention that: I sent him a PM asking him if he wanted me to give him some hot hug. Just spread all that hot hug around... awww man! Fuck yeah!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:05 am

HamDel wrote:You're a loser, enjoy being of counsel.

lol

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:17 pm

stratocophic wrote:
I'd like to claim I was subtly trolling, but in reality I wasn't paying attention and just copied off Dr. Inestine up there.

Yeah, I was talking to him/her.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:38 pm

--ImageRemoved--

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Renzo wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Yeah, I was talking to him/her.
I know, but TBF I have a strong sense of shame

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 am

You will all be happy to know that my lecture just started with the title: "Can Money Buy Happiness?"
I'll get back to you later today.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 am

canuck wrote:You will all be happy to know that my lecture just started with the title: "Can Money Buy Happiness?"

Whatever the man says,

I'll rebuttal with: Yes - yes, it actually can.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 am

ResolutePear wrote:
canuck wrote:You will all be happy to know that my lecture just started with the title: "Can Money Buy Happiness?"

Whatever the man says,

Well the first slide says: "People who claim that money can't buy happiness just don't know where to shop." So maybe he will (funny you assumed my prof is a man) concur with general life attitude (money>everything).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:16 pm

canuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Whatever the man says,

Well the first slide says: "People who claim that money can't buy happiness just don't know where to shop." So maybe he will (funny you assumed my prof is a man) concur with general life attitude (money>everything).

Yes. I assumed. Shifty eyes.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:25 pm

OK. So in very general and simple terms:

Having money⇒happier
Seeking money⇒unhappy
Seeking money for higher order values okay (e.g. family security)
Money = health = security

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”